Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by Den13
Hey Suze,

I work in London but live in Hampshire.

Just to whet your appetites a bit more, I went to the kapiti coast today for a drive. It's a hell hole - long sandy beaches, the pacific rolling gently in across the bay, Kapiti Island rising majestically out of the ocean, Emerald green hills behind you and a flock of sea birds all dive bombing an unseen shoal of fish.

So if any of you are contemplating moving there - don't - coz I want it all to myself!!

Hi Den

Glad to see that you are still having a good time. Out of interest how long did it take you to drive from Wellington to the Kapiti Coast.

Ann
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Wow! Thanks everyone.

The SO's exam won't count coz the NZQS doesn't recognise it. I haven't done the NVQ so basic salary for me!
I went up and met all the HR people in Wellington and they were really enthusiastic about us all. They are arguing the point with NZQS about the NVQ as the one over here has Maori modules in it. I must say I felt they were really trying for us. They are also going to appoint liaison officers in jails with a large influx of Brits/Dutch. Oh, and on the qt, they will be doing another recruitment in UK, don't know when. So far 126 Brits have agreed to come.

A couple of Officers and SCO's I spoke too said not to worry too much, As long as you show a commitment to the NVQ you can act up and due to the large recruitment drive thats going on theres a lot of new staff, so experience will be looked upon very favourably. They reckon most of us will be running wings within 6 months.

The initial course is held in a tiny building next to Rimutaka and is residential. The estate agent I met said they keep it quiet, but the jail rents rooms from a college next door. I couldn't get that confirmed however. Also spoke to a union rep who is under the impression a sizable pay rise in on the horizon to encourage more recruits. Union reps ALWAYS say that!! lol!!! His argument is that the cost of living is increasing, wages aren't and they need nearly a thousand officers to keep up with the jail building programme.

Scott also used me for the prison magazine - he wanted a few quotes. So now I have to leave UK - My No.1 will shoot me on sight........
Hi den

you been busy mate and like to thank you on behalf of everyone, when you back at work?
might be able to help you out with the NVQ might involve alot of copy and paste lol
One last word if alot of people are short of the first aid at work i could run a private course to certify everyone.
anyway whats next for you?
Try to pick me up a couple of local newsys on the way back through hamiltion and south auk

in a bit

mv
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:16 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hello,

We are going to the South Islands Prisons. We were told in May that we were going to Invercargill but were emailed this week to inform us that it has no vacancies. We originally requested Dunedin (back in interview in April ) as we want to go to the new facility in Milburn when it opens in 2007. Dunedin is only a small prison but we are hopeful that we can locate there or it will be Christchurch for about 18 months. Must be honest, we are hoping that this episode is a one off as I hope the NZ PPS is not going to turn out like ours by mucking us about. We have already received our residency visas and had nearly everything planned for January 2006 and were very lucky not to have committed ourselves financially . Anyone else had this problem ??

On a positive note, our contact on the South Island ( Recruitment) informed us that there was facility during the induction weeks to complete a first aid course as I do not have one and training at my prison in London told me to `bog off`.!!!

Keep the information flowing everyone.........
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:58 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Hi Den

Glad to see that you are still having a good time. Out of interest how long did it take you to drive from Wellington to the Kapiti Coast.

Ann

It's quite a good route. It took about 45 minutes to get (i think it's called) Rimuhata beach. Worth every minute.

MV - I'm back on the 12th. Really looking forward to it Already got you a paper but I'll see if theres any different ones about. I'm picking up the local papers in every major town.

I'm off to get the ferry. Laters!!!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Dear TaffinKent

I think in the long term you may end up quietly pleased that you are not going to Dunedin. My husband's friends sister lives in Christchurch and when he visited last year, both he and his Sister said that it was the best city and indeed the prettiest and most colonial in NZ. If you don't like it though you could still probably move on to Dunedin later on.

Good luck and hope this helps

Suze
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:45 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

I'm now in Kaikoura and all I can say is......Wow. It's unbelievably beautiful. Snowcapped mountains dramatically plunging into the Pacific and tailing off into farm land. Awesome.

The South Island is VERY picturesque. I've been speaking with lad who's a chef in Queenstown and he'd given me a route to drive. So it's Whalewatching tomorrow then off to Christchurch then hitting the Southern Alps.

The interislander ferry fom Wellington to Picton is good too. I went on the 'new' big one....turned out it was the old 'Pride of Cherbourg'!! Like a home from home!!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:49 am
Make pumps lots......

Went whalewatching this morning. Saw 7 Sperm whales - unbelievable. Wouldn't get that in the solent!

Then had a leisurely drive to Christchurch which is where i am now. First impressions are good. Bigger than I expected and v clean.

The South Island is markedly different to the North. Not just geographically, but the people seem, I dunno, earthier. They have an almost Scottish Brogue with the way the roll their R's. Got drunk with the local baker last night and within 15 minutes knew his life story - great stuff! And then the barmaid opened up the jukebox so we could put anything on we wanted - admittedly there wasn't much on there later than Tears for Fears, but it was a nice gesture......
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Went whalewatching this morning. Saw 7 Sperm whales - unbelievable. Wouldn't get that in the solent!

Then had a leisurely drive to Christchurch which is where i am now. First impressions are good. Bigger than I expected and v clean.

The South Island is markedly different to the North. Not just geographically, but the people seem, I dunno, earthier. They have an almost Scottish Brogue with the way the roll their R's. Got drunk with the local baker last night and within 15 minutes knew his life story - great stuff! And then the barmaid opened up the jukebox so we could put anything on we wanted - admittedly there wasn't much on there later than Tears for Fears, but it was a nice gesture......

why bothercomming back i will hand your notice in 4 u lol
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:55 am
Make pumps lots......

Originally Posted by MV5555
why bothercomming back i will hand your notice in 4 u lol

Toying with the idea of e-mailing Chris P, but don't want a work related answer so probably won't bother!!!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Gavin D is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there folks. I am the Regional Operations Manager for the Waikato/Central Region of the Public Prisons Service in New Zealand. Waikeria Prison and Tongariro/Rangipo/Ohura Prisons are the prisons in our region and in 2007 another site will be opened called Spring Hill Corrections Facility. We are all looking forward to welcoming you to our Prisons and helping you settle in NZ. Please look me up if you are in the country before you start. If you have any queries I will try and answer them so if you want, ask away
Cheers Gavin
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:19 pm
Make pumps lots......

Originally Posted by Gavin D
Hi there folks. I am the Regional Operations Manager for the Waikato/Central Region of the Public Prisons Service in New Zealand. Waikeria Prison and Tongariro/Rangipo/Ohura Prisons are the prisons in our region and in 2007 another site will be opened called Spring Hill Corrections Facility. We are all looking forward to welcoming you to our Prisons and helping you settle in NZ. Please look me up if you are in the country before you start. If you have any queries I will try and answer them so if you want, ask away
Cheers Gavin

Thanks for joining the forum. I'm sure theres a thousand questions heading your way!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:27 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Den13]Thanks for joining the forum. I'm sure theres a thousand questions heading your way!

.................and some !!! Welcome Gavin.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=taffinkent]
Thanks for joining the forum. I'm sure theres a thousand questions heading your way!

.................and some !!! Welcome Gavin.

how full do we reckon Gavin's mailbox is this morning???? :scared:
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Gavin

I have a question.

Could you give me some idea from what you know as to the average rental prices of property. Looking for a nice 3/4 bed detached in or near Hamilton. I have been on some sites where it looks as though they are in the region of approx $270-350nzd per week. On a salary of $550 per week that doesn't leave much to live on. Are considering renting our property out in UK as the housing market is not too good at the moment and nothing in our area is selling very fast to say the least.....

Kind regards

Suze
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:14 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gavin D
Cheers Gavin
Gavin

I would just like to say welcome and Its very reassuring to have someone like yourself answering some of our queries and I'm sure over the next few days you will get cramp from all the typing you will be doing

Cheers

K9

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.