Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:50 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Ok....Here's the thread I was on about in the Prison Officers topic.

Like I said, I've been in the job 13 years and have spent a fair bit of that in London jails. Here's my VERY early impressions so far of NZ.

The flight was fairly painless, via Singapore. The customs staff are the most vigilant and professional I've met. Considering I landed at midnight, they were really on the ball and are very determined to avoid foreign flora and fauna getting in. If in doubt about anything - don't bring it - it's a potential $200.00 instant fine.

Got to the place I'm staying - a backpackers in central Auckland - and after dumping my gear, hit the bar. I'm travelling alone but from the moment I ended up with a kiwi sat next to me on the plane, I've felt far from alone. A very friendly, open place. I've travelled quite a bit and seen a lot of cities, but it's not often people approach you as readily as they do here.

I've mentioned in the other thread that I'm meeting Scott Gwynne for a beer later in the week and a HR person to have a look at the jails in Wellington, I'll ask about money. Anything else anyone is desperate to know??

So despite several beers, a 24 hour flight, no sleep on the plane, I'm still awake. You gotta love jet lag. Oh well, breakfast here I come!!!

See you all soon.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by Den13

Like I said, I've been in the job 13 years and have spent a fair bit of that in London jails. Here's my VERY early impressions so far of NZ.

The flight was fairly painless, via Singapore. The customs staff are the most vigilant and professional I've met. Considering I landed at midnight, they were really on the ball and are very determined to avoid foreign flora and fauna getting in. If in doubt about anything - don't bring it - it's a potential $200.00 instant fine.

Got to the place I'm staying - a backpackers in central Auckland - and after dumping my gear, hit the bar. I'm travelling alone but from the moment I ended up with a kiwi sat next to me on the plane, I've felt far from alone. A very friendly, open place. I've travelled quite a bit and seen a lot of cities, but it's not often people approach you as readily as they do here.

I've mentioned in the other thread that I'm meeting Scott Gwynne for a beer later in the week and a HR person to have a look at the jails in Wellington, I'll ask about money. Anything else anyone is desperate to know??

So despite several beers, a 24 hour flight, no sleep on the plane, I'm still awake. You gotta love jet lag. Oh well, breakfast here I come!!!

See you all soon.
Hi,

Glad to see that you have arrived safely and so far enjoying the bar life in NZ.

Was at the Leeds seminar where one of the things that Scott mentioned was that they were looking into the possibility of contributing to the relocation cost as well as maybe recognising any NVQ that have been done. Would appreciate if you could ask Scott regarding that. Also as I have been told I will be going to one of the jails in Wellington grateful for any inside information on that.

Good luck and hope you get a bit of sleep soon.

Ann
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Hi,

Glad to see that you have arrived safely and so far enjoying the bar life in NZ.

Was at the Leeds seminar where one of the things that Scott mentioned was that they were looking into the possibility of contributing to the relocation cost as well as maybe recognising any NVQ that have been done. Would appreciate if you could ask Scott regarding that. Also as I have been told I will be going to one of the jails in Wellington grateful for any inside information on that.

Good luck and hope you get a bit of sleep soon.

Ann
hiya mate you know who i am .,.........get some kip and have an enjoyable holiday see u back at the farm in a week or 2 left you a message on the other thread too..........take it easy and have for me
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:34 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

See you all soon.

Den13

Just another question to add to your list if you don't mind, can you ask how flexible they are with regards start dates, only my family and I have our visas but can't get a buyer for the house just yet, I was given a start date of around November but this is looking unlikely and it will perhaps be early next year, are they going to cut us some slack bearing in mind the sacrifices we are making

I got the impression they were flexible as long as you keep them informed

Good luck don't get to drunk

K9
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:24 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

So many questions, so little time.

Firstly congrats on getting out there, enjoy the beer and have one for me.

Like a few others I am concerned about the starting time. House will be on the market by bank holiday, and then hopefully all thigs should go well. But in the present climate nothing is certain.

I too would like to know about the NVQ and any help. I don't think there will be any financial.

Anyway have a great time and I look forward to reading this thread.

Scott
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:19 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by K9s
Den13

Just another question to add to your list if you don't mind, can you ask how flexible they are with regards start dates, only my family and I have our visas but can't get a buyer for the house just yet, I was given a start date of around November but this is looking unlikely and it will perhaps be early next year, are they going to cut us some slack bearing in mind the sacrifices we are making

I got the impression they were flexible as long as you keep them informed

Good luck don't get to drunk

K9
No problems.

I know one of the lads thats supposed to be going from my place and he's messed them around quite a bit. He was supposed to be starting in September but had family problems. He finally decided he would be going but asked for a Feb/March start and they were fine with it. He just e-mailed Alex. I know getting a reply from her isn't always the most straightforward thing but he got what he wanted.

Scott, as far as I remember, stated that no financial help will be given at all when he was asked at the Henley seminar. However, with the help the Samoans have been given, maybe there's room for, err, negotiation! He's not in charge of this initiative anymore, but he seems an honest, open bloke when I've spoken to him, so I'm sure he'll have some useful info.

As an aside, any others going to Wellington in November? Perhaps we could meet up before? What do you say??

Just had several vodka cocktails in a bar made of ice.....What a town! And why are the coins so big?? Also, have you seen the shots of the famine areas in Africa on the news - where the locals are wearing really dodgy jumpers? Well have you ever wondered where they came from? Wonder no more.

Ahh, they just announced happy hour.......laters people.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

No problems.

I know one of the lads thats supposed to be going from my place and he's messed them around quite a bit. He was supposed to be starting in September but had family problems. He finally decided he would be going but asked for a Feb/March start and they were fine with it. He just e-mailed Alex. I know getting a reply from her isn't always the most straightforward thing but he got what he wanted.

Scott, as far as I remember, stated that no financial help will be given at all when he was asked at the Henley seminar. However, with the help the Samoans have been given, maybe there's room for, err, negotiation! He's not in charge of this initiative anymore, but he seems an honest, open bloke when I've spoken to him, so I'm sure he'll have some useful info.

IS it true that gay men are always trying to chat u up

As an aside, any others going to Wellington in November? Perhaps we could meet up before? What do you say??

Just had several vodka cocktails in a bar made of ice.....What a town! And why are the coins so big?? Also, have you seen the shots of the famine areas in Africa on the news - where the locals are wearing really dodgy jumpers? Well have you ever wondered where they came from? Wonder no more.

Ahh, they just announced happy hour.......laters people.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:53 am
Make pumps lots......

Originally Posted by MV5555
Easy tiger.....

Well I've done the touristy bits and I'm liking. Auckland is a clean, walkable city. I've not been out to the suburbs but overall this a good city with friendly people. I went out for a quiet beer with an aussie last night and I ended up getting back to the room at 09.30 this morning. I've got vague memories of getting the bouncer of the pub I was in absolutely hammered, then singing out of the window of the pub at the good people of Auckland as they went to work. If you were one of those people I am truly, truly sorry....

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow. Best behaviour......
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Easy tiger.....

Well I've done the touristy bits and I'm liking. Auckland is a clean, walkable city. I've not been out to the suburbs but overall this a good city with friendly people. I went out for a quiet beer with an aussie last night and I ended up getting back to the room at 09.30 this morning. I've got vague memories of getting the bouncer of the pub I was in absolutely hammered, then singing out of the window of the pub at the good people of Auckland as they went to work. If you were one of those people I am truly, truly sorry....

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow. Best behaviour......

Enjoy mate !!!! see u soon
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Enjoy mate !!!! see u soon

Hi den it 1am and i just got a call from some guy at head office in NZ wanting to use me a a guinie pig to try and get the nvq in custodial care recononised. I have to send in all my paperwork which i have not got anymore and my certificate if they can get it recognised we can apparently start on wait for it 41,000.
Have you done it ?
have you got all your paperwork?

I think the guy works with Alex D in HR i will get his name incase you come across him,
i wasnt really awake that much at 1am when he called
Apparently all this is going to cost £500, :scared: Which he said he would be very nice and pay for it
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:07 am
Make pumps lots......

Hi den it 1am and i just got a call from some guy at head office in NZ wanting to use me a a guinie pig to try and get the nvq in custodial care recononised. I have to send in all my paperwork which i have not got anymore and my certificate if they can get it recognised we can apparently start on wait for it 41,000.
Have you done it ?

I think the guy works with Alex D in HR i will get his name incase you come across him,
Apparently all this is going to cost £500, :scared: Which he said he would be very nice and pay for it

Thats all good!! I've not done an NVQ - I've never stayed in one place long enough. I'll chat about it when I see them though.

I travelled down to Rotorua today. You can feel the whole atmosphere just relaxing as you leave Auckland. This is a truly beautiful place and I've only seen a very small part so far. I've been drinking coffee sat outside in a t-shirt - and this is winter?

I went through Hamilton, or around it I should say. I've given an Aussie a lift and he just kept muttering how wonderful it was. It was fairly light industrial as you approach it (Well it is a city) but that gives ways to housing, well tended gardens and well laid out residential areas. I've picked up the local paper for you as well.

The Kiwis I've spoken too since I've been here are incredibly proud of their country and are eager to show it off, always suggesting things to do and see. I'm actively keeping the rose tinted specs off....but this place is amazing.

Rotorua is a strange old place though. Seeing the thermal springs and smelling the sulphur is an odd experience in a town centre!

Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:16 am
tickle my tadpoles

Have you done it ?

That sounds encouraging. I will e-mail them and see if the S.O. exam I passed in 1998 would be recognised. Appparently it is worth NVQ level 3 or 4. I suppose I need to get confirmation of that from HQ. But it all helps, another 5K in the pocket.

Scott
Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:18 am
tickle my tadpoles

Thats all good!! I've not done an NVQ - I've never stayed in one place long enough. I'll chat about it when I see them though.

I travelled down to Rotorua today. You can feel the whole atmosphere just relaxing as you leave Auckland. This is a truly beautiful place and I've only seen a very small part so far. I've been drinking coffee sat outside in a t-shirt - and this is winter?

I went through Hamilton, or around it I should say. I've given an Aussie a lift and he just kept muttering how wonderful it was. It was fairly light industrial as you approach it (Well it is a city) but that gives ways to housing, well tended gardens and well laid out residential areas. I've picked up the local paper for you as well.

The Kiwis I've spoken too since I've been here are incredibly proud of their country and are eager to show it off, always suggesting things to do and see. I'm actively keeping the rose tinted specs off....but this place is amazing.

Rotorua is a strange old place though. Seeing the thermal springs and smelling the sulphur is an odd experience in a town centre!

Have a good time, and enjot NZ. From what you have been saying it seems to be an amazing place. I have a couple of friends at work who are going to Wellington in March, so I will watch with interest.

Scott
Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

It's an absolutely fabulous place to live. Pity there wasn't a prison near to Rotorua as it is still one of those places where house prices are still reasonable and it would be possible to live on a prison officers salary here relatvely well.

Good luck with you all trying to get your NVQ's recognised.
Cheers
Gill and Rob
Old Aug 24th 2005, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Have you done it ?

Hi

Have sent you a PM

Ann

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.