Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:40 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by sky
Just start another thread
Ya know ... spread the lurve around.
The more threads the more user specific they are. If a new prison officer stumbled across your thread it would take them till next month to read through it.
All Im saying
Sorry
You don't know any Prison Officers, do you?!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

superscrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the m family
Hi superscrew,

We are also from Cambridgeshire, Where abouts in Cambridgeshire are you?
We are from March near Wisbech, originally we are from Brighton
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

the m family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superscrew
We are from March near Wisbech, originally we are from Brighton
Your not a carrot cruncher then?! We are currently in Chatteris.
Moved up here from Battle East Sussex last year. Take it your at WM then as am I !! :scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

superscrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the m family
Your not a carrot cruncher then?! We are currently in Chatteris.
Moved up here from Battle East Sussex last year. Take it your at WM then as am I !! :scared:
How did you guess, dog section, where do you work?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

the m family is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sent you a PM
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 10:33 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Superscrew

From one dog handler to another I have just PM you

K9
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Den13
Hey Sugo! Hows it going in Welly!!

We're called Screws coz in days of yore prisoners were made to walk on a wheel called a treadmill. If the staff wanted to make it harder for the miscreant, they used to tighten a screw.

I think thats right. Anyone?

Of course, every new member of staff thinks they're the first one to come up, 'I'm the best screw in town! Ha Ha!!' Yeh, we all laugh.....

hey its all going kewl will be putting pics and a new thread on shortly as for the screw thing, you say the word screw and my filthy mind goes to one thing only lol , so tongue in cheek side of me made me think far too much and screws.

its all good here, friendly people which is very kewl indeed, but will write up a proper bit soon and will add pics too,
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

Just thought you might be interested in this bit of NZ experience so far.

My husband's colleague went out in May with his expectant wife and 4 year old child. He got a job at Auckland prison and also his in-laws live there so this is where they headed.

They telephoned us on Sunday morning just gone as we had sent a letter to Auckland prison in the hope that it would reach him and in turn he could supply us with some valuable info on life and job so far. Here is what he said;

They're first rented property in Auckland was too far away from the prison and so they have had to move closer. They are now 15 mins from the jail which is much better. Rental cost for the house is $380 per week (not month). From what we could gather it doesn't seem that they have had much help from the in laws either so they are basically on their own.

They said that had they have realised then what they knew now then they would have waited until after the birth of their little one (who was born in August) before emigrating, as she has needed medical treatment which has meant daily trips to the hospital of which on many occasions his wife has had to go alone. However, he said everything and everyone is family orientated. His little one loves her new school as well.

When he started the job in July he was put into "Services" and said that he was basically doing the same type of duties that OSG's do here. He hated this and so has asked to be transferred to a working wing, which is what he is used to here. He has got 7 years service in as an Officer. He has also looked into a Senior Officer's position and is going to apply as soon as one comes up as it is better paid (about $44-46,000). There is no exam to sit, only an interview from what he can gather and Senior Officers in NZ generally appear to carry out the equivalent duties to that of a UK prison officer on a wing in Britain. He said that the PO position is like the SO position here whereby they seem to do the same duties as an SO does in the UK.

He said that so far he didn't really like the job mainly because of the area and type of work he is doing at the moment, but is hopeful that this will change if he secures the job on the wings. He said that it's a completely different way of working over there to that of the UK Prison Service. That being said, he was on his course with a chap who was going to work in Waikeria Prison and they have kept in touch. His friend loves it at Waikeria and said the house rental prices are approx $80-100 less per week that in Auckland. Our colleague may consider a move there later on.

Finally he says that the salary is poor compared to the cost of living. They took approximately £8000 with them to NZ which they were getting through very quickly. He suggested that £20,000 was needed as a back up as they have had to buy a car, etc and are also having to use some of there savings to supplement the salary up to now. However, he would be less likely to have to dip into the savings should he get an SO position later on.

He suggested to my husband that I ring his wife for a chat which I will do and let you know more.

They have been to New Zealand seven times prior to this to visit his wife's Mother in Auckland, so they went with their eyes WIDE open and after lots of consideration. They have kept their house in the UK and are currently renting it out to family but realised that they should have released some equity out of the house to top up the savings they would take with them.

Like he said, it is early days though and I don't think at this point he has any intentions to return to the UK.

Will keep you updated

Hope this has been of some use

Suze

Last edited by ranbysue; Oct 4th 2005 at 10:29 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:56 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Suze

Great info all very helpful

Tell us some more when you get it

Have you decided if you are going to NZ yet?

Cheers

K9
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

I will provide more news when I get some.

We are still making up our minds on NZ, however we haven't got long as our EOI runds out at the end of October!!

Suzanne
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

thought I would have loads of replies to this one. I can't believe how quiet this thread's gone.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:21 am
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Hi Everyone

Just thought you might be interested in this bit of NZ experience so far.

My husband's colleague went out in May with his expectant wife and 4 year old child. He got a job at Auckland prison and also his in-laws live there so this is where they headed.

They telephoned us on Sunday morning just gone as we had sent a letter to Auckland prison in the hope that it would reach him and in turn he could supply us with some valuable info on life and job so far. Here is what he said;

They're first rented property in Auckland was too far away from the prison and so they have had to move closer. They are now 15 mins from the jail which is much better. Rental cost for the house is $380 per week (not month). From what we could gather it doesn't seem that they have had much help from the in laws either so they are basically on their own.

They said that had they have realised then what they knew now then they would have waited until after the birth of their little one (who was born in August) before emigrating, as she has needed medical treatment which has meant daily trips to the hospital of which on many occasions his wife has had to go alone. However, he said everything and everyone is family orientated. His little one loves her new school as well.

When he started the job in July he was put into "Services" and said that he was basically doing the same type of duties that OSG's do here. He hated this and so has asked to be transferred to a working wing, which is what he is used to here. He has got 7 years service in as an Officer. He has also looked into a Senior Officer's position and is going to apply as soon as one comes up as it is better paid (about $44-46,000). There is no exam to sit, only an interview from what he can gather and Senior Officers in NZ generally appear to carry out the equivalent duties to that of a UK prison officer on a wing in Britain. He said that the PO position is like the SO position here whereby they seem to do the same duties as an SO does in the UK.

He said that so far he didn't really like the job mainly because of the area and type of work he is doing at the moment, but is hopeful that this will change if he secures the job on the wings. He said that it's a completely different way of working over there to that of the UK Prison Service. That being said, he was on his course with a chap who was going to work in Waikeria Prison and they have kept in touch. His friend loves it at Waikeria and said the house rental prices are approx $80-100 less per week that in Auckland. Our colleague may consider a move there later on.

Finally he says that the salary is poor compared to the cost of living. They took approximately £8000 with them to NZ which they were getting through very quickly. He suggested that £20,000 was needed as a back up as they have had to buy a car, etc and are also having to use some of there savings to supplement the salary up to now. However, he would be less likely to have to dip into the savings should he get an SO position later on.

He suggested to my husband that I ring his wife for a chat which I will do and let you know more.

They have been to New Zealand seven times prior to this to visit his wife's Mother in Auckland, so they went with their eyes WIDE open and after lots of consideration. They have kept their house in the UK and are currently renting it out to family but realised that they should have released some equity out of the house to top up the savings they would take with them.

Like he said, it is early days though and I don't think at this point he has any intentions to return to the UK.

Will keep you updated

Hope this has been of some use

Suze
Nice to get some experiences from someone who has done the move. A good post Sue, and I hope talking to his wife will make your decision easier. With the prison service going through such rapid growth hopefully there will be opportunities to progress up the ranks sooner rather than later.

Scott
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

I shall ring again this week Scott. It appears that promotion may be available although he didn't mention much about it to my husband. I will ring this week though and then post back more.

Have you heard from Tony Collins lately, I wondered if he had sold his house yet and gone already?

Take care

Suze
Old Oct 16th 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi it's me
Old Oct 16th 2005, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point

Really interesting what you wrote Suze. Keep us updated.
That seems a little weird the fact that officers do osg's jobs, SO's do officers jobs etc etc. I take it that all jails not just the Auckland nick.

Tony still hasnt sold up. He's in the same position as us, very frustrated and close to killing someone. I didnt realise selling a house could be so stressful. When i see a car drive in the street and people start taking interest in the house i feel like going out and dragging them in
" C MON BUY IT"

We were hoping to be out for christmas but I certainly dont think thats going to happen now

Still concerns me the amount of posts i have read on this web site that talk about earnings in NZ. By the sound of it what we will be earning seems pretty poor. My missus will be working also, just part time (and not in a jail cos i know how sleazy so many screws are) and together we will be looking at earning $ 60,000 per year. Dont know if thats ok or what really. We are looking to have a mortgage of about $200,000. If anyone can advise then please do.

Anyway guys and gals must go. Need to tidy the house just in case we get a suprise viewing (YEAH RIGHT) not likely.

Take care and keep in touch.

Ben (Robbo)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.