Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by Den13
I reckon the 3 of us will be on the same course then!! They initially said November to me, but realistically that only gives me a few weeks to sort everything out and I haven't got my visa yet, so I'm going to seek the Jan/Feb course I think.

BTW: How do you post pictures here??!!

Reckon 4 of us on the same course. One of my workmates has a start date of February in Palmerston North area, so our numbers are creeping up, will be a laugh though.

Ann
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:38 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Reckon 4 of us on the same course. One of my workmates has a start date of February in Palmerston North area, so our numbers are creeping up, will be a laugh though.

Ann

Palmerston North?? :scared: Nice....

We can have a BALL on that course. I reckon with the 4 of us there will be getting on for over 50 years experience!

IPS?? Bring it on!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just up load pics to the BE Photo Gallery. Every member can have his/her own album.

Sue

Originally Posted by Den13

BTW: How do you post pictures here??!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:53 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

Ann
Maybe 5. I am due in NZ mid January and should start in Waikeria Jan/Feb.

Scott
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by footloose

Scott

Hi Scott

The more the merrier, wonder what they are going to teach us.

Ann ??
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:59 pm
tickle my tadpoles

Hi Scott

The more the merrier, wonder what they are going to teach us.

Ann ??
I think we all should be able to deal with people by now. But it is a whole new legal system that we will have to operate in. New rules/regulations and different cultures than we are used to. So I guess there still we be quite a bit.

Scott
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Hello Den

Have been reading your thread or should I say my wife has, and it's very informative. When you visited the prisons (I have been offered Waikeria) did you ask what the shift patterns were like as I seem to recall someone saying that it was like the old rotational pit 3 week shift system of days, nights and afters?

We are in the middle of doing the house up at the moment and my OH is having doubts AGAIN about the whole thing (she's been having them since May!). She's worried that she won't find work that fits in with the kids schooling hours. She is a social and life skills Lecturer at the Prison where I work but is worried because NZ prisons employ officers to provide these courses and only a handful of teachers who provide academic quals. We plan on renting our house out as the housing market where we are is none existent at the moment.

Anyway be good if you could reply if you know anything about the shift pattern.

Andrew
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:30 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Hello Den

Have been reading your thread or should I say my wife has, and it's very informative. When you visited the prisons (I have been offered Waikeria) did you ask what the shift patterns were like as I seem to recall someone saying that it was like the old rotational pit 3 week shift system of days, nights and afters?

We are in the middle of doing the house up at the moment and my OH is having doubts AGAIN about the whole thing (she's been having them since May!). She's worried that she won't find work that fits in with the kids schooling hours. She is a social and life skills Lecturer at the Prison where I work but is worried because NZ prisons employ officers to provide these courses and only a handful of teachers who provide academic quals. We plan on renting our house out as the housing market where we are is none existent at the moment.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, (Great name btw! )
Every unit seemed to operate slightly different. As far as I could gather it does seem to operate as you describe. However, as the staffing situation is low, you get night bandits etc, so you can almost work what you want. (Yeah right)!

Have a look earlier in the thread, I put Alan Browns email in somewhere - He's a SCO and will be able to answer you better.

There is a lot of work over there. I met a group of 3 people who decided they wanted to stay a bit longer so sought work.
As I left, 1 had been accepted as a trainee theatre manager and 1 as a special needs teacher...Neither of them had any experience in these fields at all. Maybe they just got lucky. But the amount of travellers with jobs there does point to a healthy job market - what the pay is like I couldn't say.

It's very natural to have worries and concerns. I've got them. But I don't want to carry on in a mundane life and not try new things. Maybe thats a bit simplistic, but when it comes to the crunch - thats why we do things and seek new experiences.

If you or Ann want to talk, get in touch.

Den.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Thanks for that Den

Who is Ann? Do you mean Suzanne?

Andrew
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:49 pm
Make pumps lots......

Thanks for that Den

Who is Ann? Do you mean Suzanne?

Andrew
Err, if thats your OH's name, then...yes..??

Sorry, I was getting people confused, it happens at my age. Or so some young whippersnapper of a doctor tried telling me. What the hell does he know eh!? Tell me that!!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:51 pm
tickle my tadpoles

Hello Den

Andrew
I will try and get a copy of a shift pattern, although groups work differently at least it will gives un an idea.

Scott
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by footloose

Scott

pROBERBLY 6 LOL IM DUE THEN TOO!!!! :scared:
Old Sep 13th 2005, 6:32 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by MV5555
pROBERBLY 6 LOL IM DUE THEN TOO!!!! :scared:

Maybe 7 I'm due out there also around that time, 14 years experience :scared:
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:55 pm
Make pumps lots......

Originally Posted by K9s
Maybe 7 I'm due out there also around that time, 14 years experience :scared:

Shall we charter a plane??

We've GOT to meet up before.....Christmas in London anyone?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:46 pm
Make pumps lots......

Ok....maybe not then! Wow, that was a deafening silence! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.