Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:54 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Har Har!! Yep, thats my old Army nickname, for pretty obvious reasons!

I'm home - at bloody last. I swear the pilot went around the World twice just for the hell of it.

I'm doing my washing, had my first shave for about 2 weeks and am going through the transformation from bum to respectable member of the community. I also came back to bills, a tax demand and no food. And to cap it all off, while I was in the bath I discovered I'd grown a fledgling beer belly.

Ain't reality a pisser?

I just found the karma everyones sent!! Wow!! Didn't know that was there. D'oh! Thanks...

Last edited by Den13; Sep 9th 2005 at 7:01 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:03 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Den13
Har Har!! Yep, thats my old Army nickname, for pretty obvious reasons!

I'm home - at bloody last. I swear the pilot went around the World twice just for the hell of it.

I'm doing my washing, had my first shave for about 2 weeks and am going through the transformation from bum to respectable member of the community. I also came back to bills, a tax demand and no food. And to cap it all off, while I was in the bath I discovered I'd grown a fledgling beer belly.

Ain't reality a pisser?
Aint real life a b!tch. Bills, bills and more bills.I have had more than a fledgling beer belly for a couple of years now. I have 4 months to try and get rid before basic training.

heard news today that makes leaving the English service even more appealing. The proposed changes to the rank structure are being implemented in the new financial year in April. The old adage of more for less again.

Scott
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:12 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by footloose
Aint real life a b!tch. Bills, bills and more bills.I have had more than a fledgling beer belly for a couple of years now. I have 4 months to try and get rid before basic training.

heard news today that makes leaving the English service even more appealing. The proposed changes to the rank structure are being implemented in the new financial year in April. The old adage of more for less again.

Scott

They've been talking bout that since they got rid of Chiefs. Merging PO's and G5's and basically handing most things to OSG's so Officers just unlock doors and fight. All about money.

They don't have anything like OSG's or Auxilleries over there - yet. I'm sure it'll come though. I'm just chuffed they call cells cells, not rooms like we're being made to do or being threatened with poor performance if we don't refer to cons as 'MR'. 25 year old young offenders?? Mad.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

They've been talking bout that since they got rid of Chiefs. Merging PO's and G5's and basically handing most things to OSG's so Officers just unlock doors and fight. All about money.

They don't have anything like OSG's or Auxilleries over there - yet. I'm sure it'll come though. I'm just chuffed they call cells cells, not rooms like we're being made to do or being threatened with poor performance if we don't refer to cons as 'MR'. 25 year old young offenders?? Mad.
If it takes NZ 15 years to get to the state we are in when KPTs and KPIs mean more than people, then I will be 15 years closer to retirement. It will be manageable then. just cant see me doing another 24 years the way we are going.

Scott
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

whhoooa you are made to call prisoners 'MR', i suppose its like us in AE when we are spat at or sworn at we have to ask them nicely to leave, oh and if they hit a nurse they have the 'three strikes' and your 'red carded' thing.

So you can hit two nurses and get away with it, hit the third and your out.

Isnt workinging in the UK lovely.

Anyway welcome back matey, good to here you had a great time !!!

Sugo
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:06 pm
Make pumps lots......

Not only call them Mr, we have to write it if we refer to them. If an Officer has the temerity to place an inmate on report and fails to write Mr, the adjudication is deemed incomplete and not proceeded with.

We also have a similar '3 strikes' thing - the Incentive and Earned Privelidge scheme. When enforced it works well. When someone smashes a cell, sorry room, up, assaults 3 staff and is restrained to the segregation unit and then is given 1 IEP warning, which means 2 more of them and he loses his tv for 3 days - it clearly ISN'T working.

If the public knew the truth about the penal system and the way it's going here, you'd be horrified. I've been doing it 13 years and I'm getting frightened. 5 investigations to my name this year - all foundless. I've been told not to respond to incidents by a Governor otherwise the investigations will continue. And he was on my side......

Sorry, I'm a bit tetchy...lack of sleep. or maybe beer withdrawal...
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:21 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Den, you've been an absolute bloody star with your roving reports and it's been great 'following' you around NZ...got any piccies????

Get a good night's sleep (and maybe a beer or three!) and 'you'll be right mate'...

Welcome 'home' (for now...)
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Den, you've been an absolute bloody star with your roving reports and it's been great 'following' you around NZ...got any piccies????

Get a good night's sleep (and maybe a beer or three!) and 'you'll be right mate'...

Welcome 'home' (for now...)
ooh yeah i second that for the pics Pinkie,

Im off in two weeks. and hope to get a decent SLR digital camera on the way through singapore so will be happy snappy and once on the internet will put the pics on the forum
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:57 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
ooh yeah i second that for the pics Pinkie,

Im off in two weeks. and hope to get a decent SLR digital camera on the way through singapore so will be happy snappy and once on the internet will put the pics on the forum
Crikey, not long before you go then Sugo!!! Have a great time 'down under' and look forward to hearing your first impressions and seeing some pics...get yourself an avatar too!!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Hi

know what you mean, have just worked in the Scottish Prison Service for 10 years and the changes in that time are unbelievable, not to call the prisoners cons, it upsets them, putting prisoners on report for threatening three members of staff for him to be "progressed" through the system, the more noise and a nuiscance a prisoners makes of himself, the more the management seem to want to give them, and dont get me started on methadone.

We dont have SOs and POs up hear they got rid of them year ago, we have a Hall Manager (supervisor) and a basic warder (1 - 1 post) runs the hall, more work for less pay, although we are getting "ex gratia" payments if we work overtime just now ( just below hourly rate) because of the number off sick, but hey the public dont know about those things do they.

Got visas through yesterday, cant wait until January when I fly out to New Zealand and I might even know before then what jail I am going to in Wellington.

Good luck every one and dont let them get us down, they dont know how good the staff they have are.

Ann
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:09 am
Banned

Beef Wellington is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Hi

know what you mean, have just worked in the Scottish Prison Service for 10 years and the changes in that time are unbelievable, not to call the prisoners cons, it upsets them, putting prisoners on report for threatening three members of staff for him to be "progressed" through the system, the more noise and a nuiscance a prisoners makes of himself, the more the management seem to want to give them, and dont get me started on methadone.

We dont have SOs and POs up hear they got rid of them year ago, we have a Hall Manager (supervisor) and a basic warder (1 - 1 post) runs the hall, more work for less pay, although we are getting "ex gratia" payments if we work overtime just now ( just below hourly rate) because of the number off sick, but hey the public dont know about those things do they.

Got visas through yesterday, cant wait until January when I fly out to New Zealand and I might even know before then what jail I am going to in Wellington.

Good luck every one and dont let them get us down, they dont know how good the staff they have are.

Ann
Congratulations on the visas Ann
I will be starting in Wellington Region in January too but you can call it Rimutaka for short!! if you know what I mean . From what research I have done we would be better off there anyway, especially if you want to live on the Kapati coast
See you next year and congrats again
Beef
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:10 am
Make pumps lots......

I reckon the 3 of us will be on the same course then!! They initially said November to me, but realistically that only gives me a few weeks to sort everything out and I haven't got my visa yet, so I'm going to seek the Jan/Feb course I think.

BTW: How do you post pictures here??!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:46 am
Don't let me get me....

BTW: How do you post pictures here??!!
Get yourself a Photobucket account here Den... http://photobucket.com/ it's free and you can then show us all your lovely pics

Nice Avatar Sugo btw...
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gavin D
Hi there folks. I am the Regional Operations Manager for the Waikato/Central Region of the Public Prisons Service in New Zealand. Waikeria Prison and Tongariro/Rangipo/Ohura Prisons are the prisons in our region and in 2007 another site will be opened called Spring Hill Corrections Facility. We are all looking forward to welcoming you to our Prisons and helping you settle in NZ. Please look me up if you are in the country before you start. If you have any queries I will try and answer them so if you want, ask away
Cheers Gavin
Hope you gonna up the pay!!!! Sorry but read how bad pay can be here in prison service - new recruits won't notive for about 18 months - depending on how many POUNDs they bought wi em - once they start earning real $'s - thats thats the testing time.........
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:14 pm
Make pumps lots......

Ok....then what??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.