Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prison officer U.K

Prison officer U.K

Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all
Default Re: Prison officer U.K

Hi All. Again I must say great advice and thank you.

Re visas etc and this is only going from my mate in Taradale who went through this process 6 years ago. He said that I have to get a job offer in one of the prisons and that would allow me and my family entry into NZ. Is this true. I know that prison officer is not on the skills list now it may have been 6 years ago when my friend moved out to NZ so unsure if I did get a job offer if I would still qualify.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Love this post by you as it is how it is . I really mean that.

Thing the OP needs to know is the visa aspect. Can he get here and then be an NZ resident?

How long and how.

Brill.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by macatack007
Hi All. Again I must say great advice and thank you.

Re visas etc and this is only going from my mate in Taradale who went through this process 6 years ago. He said that I have to get a job offer in one of the prisons and that would allow me and my family entry into NZ. Is this true. I know that prison officer is not on the skills list now it may have been 6 years ago when my friend moved out to NZ so unsure if I did get a job offer if I would still qualify.
I thought you had already understood how it works from what you wrote? I've probably read that wrongly in some way then. You mentioned about points. It never was on a skills list. It may have been on a shortage list but I can't find it there .
It was always on the accredited list of employers list though,\.

What does your mate in Taradale say. He knows what visa he came in on. How did he gain his residency?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

I do have a good insight into it but get confused at times, must be old age setting in . He did tell me what visa he go in on but thats was years ago. I will have to contatc him again and ask him.

I thought you had already understood how it works from what you wrote? I've probably read that wrongly in some way then. You mentioned about points. It never was on a skills list. It may have been on a shortage list but I can't find it there .
It was always on the accredited list of employers list though,\.

What does your mate in Taradale say. He knows what visa he came in on. How did he gain his residency?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:28 am
`

I do have a good insight into it
So. What's your insight then?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

So. What's your insight then?
Thats its not all cracked up to be as its meant to be. I am not some silly person who jumps into things. I have been thinking and researching this for almost 2 years on and off. I am not the impulsive type of person...lol
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:37 am
`

I meant on the visa front.
No-one wants to deter you from following a hope and dream here.
What is your understanding of your possible visa status?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

I meant on the visa front.
No-one wants to deter you from following a hope and dream here.
What is your understanding of your possible visa status?
I think , to be totally honest, I am detering myself now with all the storries I have heards.

I am unsure what visa status I will come under as its somewhat confusing, my head is a shed with all the things I reads and digest. Does that make sense Bev
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:59 am
`

I
I am unsure what visa status I will come under as its somewhat confusing, < --> Does that make sense Bev
No. You said you knew I thought

Read HERE
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

No. You said you knew I thought

Read HERE
Ah yes of course. Many thanks for refreshing my memory Bev. My head is going to explode with the research I am doing. I am confusing myself, maybe its time for a wee rest from it for a day or two. You have been great and thank you for your help.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:16 am
`

No need for that love. That post was only a few hours ago

What visa do you see yourself coming in on please?

It helps to know what you know.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

A work visa
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

I was hoping to get a visa on the Essential Skills Work Category requirements
I was under the impression that if I got a job offer from a New Zealand employer (corrections officer) I may be able to get a temporary work visa under the Essential Skills work category. I think this type of application requires a job offer from a NZ employer and the process will revolve around the nature of the job, my work experience, qualifications and the supporting information from the NZ employer.
Bea, please correct me if I am wrong and barking up the wrong tree and going in the wrong direction.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:00 pm
`

Nopes. I am relieved. You are barking up the right tree mate.
My concern was how you went on to gain NZ residency from there. You need that to feel able to stay in NZ and also if you did choose to move to Oz later on. It doesn't give Oz residency rights but it does help a wee bit with your options .

.....and you know what I just re-read Arthur Daley's brilliant post again. If you and your family could weather remaining on temp work permits for quite a while & then build up to a residency application, I think you're in with a blummin' good shot at this.

I'm with Arthur Daley in that you would probably find the South Island much more affordable. I also think he holds the key as to how you would progress from temp work visa to be an NZ resident.

Good one ! Am very hopeful for you now.

Get going on gaining that job offer. A low wage is manageable as I have stated. Just cut accordingly.

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
That wage is very average as would be the house you are considering if you spend 270k.
BUT...............I was in the same position as you are now 7 years ago. I started on 38 grand ( a shite wage ) and lived in rentals for a long time...Ironically in Hawkes Bay.
Now I earn 70k without any extras which means in real terms I earn on average 80 ish a year ( not a bad wage ) and own a brand new house which I am very pleased with.
It was not easy getting where I am now but it is do-able........
Dont rule out the South Island because that is where I now live and it is fab.
The weather is only a degree or two cooler but it is far nicer IMHO.
Best of luck.

Arthur.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Phewww thank goodness for that. That was my next step, how to go gain full residency. Is it not correct then that after 5 years you get dual citizenship to OZ. I was also informed that after that period you applied for full residency to NZ. I think NZ is probably better to have a family anyway.

Hopefull Arthur may have some answers on full residency in time.

Nopes. I am relieved. You are barking up the right tree mate.
My concern was how you went on to gain NZ residency from there. You need that to feel able to stay in NZ and also if you did choose to move to Oz later on. It doesn't give Oz residency rights but it does help a wee bit with your options .

.....and you know what I just re-read Arthur Daley's brilliant post again. If you and your family could weather remaining on temp work permits for quite a while & then build up to a residency application, I think you're in with a blummin' good shot at this.

I'm with Arthur Daley in that you would probably find the South Island much more affordable. I also think he holds the key as to how you would progress from temp work visa to be an NZ resident.

Good one ! Am very hopeful for you now.

Get going on gaining that job offer. A low wage is manageable as I have stated. Just cut accordingly.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not correct then that after 5 years you get dual citizenship to OZ. I was also informed that after that period you applied for full residency to NZ.
Yes it is not correct

If all goes to plan you will first get permanent residency
This entitles you to live and stay in NZ for an indefinite period

After you have held PR for 5 years you can apply to become a New Zealand citizen
With citizenship come the ability to move and work between NZ and OZ,
This is NOT duel citizenship
You can work in OZ, pay your taxes there but you are NOT entitled to any benefits from the state
so even if you worked there for 30 years you wouldn't qualify for an Ozzy pension and if you lost
your job you will not get any benifits, be entitled to any health cover yadda yadda yadda
Also afaik if you left nz after only 5 years you wouldnt get much of an old age pension from here either
as you would have paid nothing into any super an schemes, you cant take out a personal pension in NZ
as they dont exist here, you can start long term deposits or kiwisaver but they are not pension funds as we know them.