Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prison officer U.K

Prison officer U.K

Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all
Default Re: Prison officer U.K

Hi Rachael thank you for the reply.

All this talk of how expensive it is, is putting me off...lol

I did budget for around £14k to get out to NZ. Getting out there is not the problem ()/well I hope not)[ Its staying out there and being able to afford a moderate lifestyle if that makes sense.

Pete
Originally Posted by RachelG12
You will be looking at £10-15,000 to get here including shipping, Medicals, Visa etc. It would definitely be worth taking a look at the skills shortage list on the Immigration New Zealand website.

We come in Pril, and can't wait. With what it costsvthough, you havevto REALLY want to give it a go.

Good luck xxx

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Dec 16th 2012 at 12:00 am. Reason: Correction of quote box
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Australia? Quite a few guys I worked with went to work in Oz prisons for the better pay & conditions.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to look at what you want to achieve from a move to NZ as I don't think you will be financially better off.

Depending on your wifes level of experience/senority - i would say salaries would range around the $40-50K mark for administrative roles in the public sector.

As a couple of others have mentioned and you seem to already be aware, cost of living here is not cheap. Do take into account the school fees for example as something that you won't have to incur in the UK. and the cost of holidays. A lot of people holiday within new zealand - and even then that's not going to be cheap. You've got a fair ole lengthy flight if you want to go anywhere other than Oz.

Your friend that is telling you to move? do you know what their income is? i.e. are they able to afford a good lifestyle etc. Its all very well telling you to move out here cause its beautiful - which it is, but if thats the only reason to move i'm not sure its the best one.

It will cost you A LOT of money to move your life over here, as you know. Trademe is your friend to do some research on jobs and housing. Seek is the other large recruitment website here. Do look to see what opportunities might be available to your wife - smaller population means less choice.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

From what I understand (and I can only go from what I've been told by people who live there), lifestyle is totally different.

Weekly shops are more expensive but income tax cheaper, fuel cheaper and car insurance cheaper. As long as you aren't bothered about having the nicest car, coolest house and every new gadget, then you can get by. If you are then don't go, because everything is o much more expensive, if you do go, take the car, you'll pay as much if not more for 5 year old car in NZ than you will or new in NZ.

Please don't let me put you off, as I said, we go in April and are really excited, but being aware of the downsides will prevent major disappointment when you arrive.

Rach x
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

I have looked at OZ prisons and they are not recruiting overseas, hence why I want to go to NZ do 5 yrs get citizenship and then get into OZ that way. If it ever happens...lol

Pete
Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Have you looked at Australia? Quite a few guys I worked with went to work in Oz prisons for the better pay & conditions.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

I have looked at OZ prisons and they are not recruiting overseas, hence why I want to go to NZ do 5 yrs get citizenship and then get into OZ that way. If it ever happens...lol

Pete
Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

I dont know why that posted that twice...Doh.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Caz8NZ. Thank you for the advice. He moved out to NZ as a prison officer, he used to tell me how great it was but then left the job for another and eventually got his citizenship. He is now working in OZ truck driving saying that he is earning big bucks.
Pete

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I think you need to look at what you want to achieve from a move to NZ as I don't think you will be financially better off.

Depending on your wifes level of experience/senority - i would say salaries would range around the $40-50K mark for administrative roles in the public sector.

As a couple of others have mentioned and you seem to already be aware, cost of living here is not cheap. Do take into account the school fees for example as something that you won't have to incur in the UK. and the cost of holidays. A lot of people holiday within new zealand - and even then that's not going to be cheap. You've got a fair ole lengthy flight if you want to go anywhere other than Oz.

Your friend that is telling you to move? do you know what their income is? i.e. are they able to afford a good lifestyle etc. Its all very well telling you to move out here cause its beautiful - which it is, but if thats the only reason to move i'm not sure its the best one.

It will cost you A LOT of money to move your life over here, as you know. Trademe is your friend to do some research on jobs and housing. Seek is the other large recruitment website here. Do look to see what opportunities might be available to your wife - smaller population means less choice.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rachael. I have been told a family of 3/4 shop is around the $1000. $80 for a dentist check up and $150 for a filling, that is daylight robbery....lol

What are you going to do when you are out there and what part of NZ are you moving too.

Pete
From what I understand (and I can only go from what I've been told by people who live there), lifestyle is totally different.

Weekly shops are more expensive but income tax cheaper, fuel cheaper and car insurance cheaper. As long as you aren't bothered about having the nicest car, coolest house and every new gadget, then you can get by. If you are then don't go, because everything is o much more expensive, if you do go, take the car, you'll pay as much if not more for 5 year old car in NZ than you will or new in NZ.

Please don't let me put you off, as I said, we go in April and are really excited, but being aware of the downsides will prevent major disappointment when you arrive.

Rach x
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by macatack007
Hi Rachael. I have been told a family of 3/4 shop is around the $1000. $80 for a dentist check up and $150 for a filling, that is daylight robbery....lol

What are you going to do when you are out there and what part of NZ are you moving too.

Pete
I have a job as a midwife on North Island. Very exciting. OH company looking into expanding internationally, great if it works out

Good luck with your decision, and remember not to live for regrets. If you do it and hate it, you can always return to UK, but never have to ask yourself "what-if"
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:36 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You will be looking at £10-15,000 to get here including shipping, Medicals, Visa etc. It would definitely be worth taking a look at the skills shortage list on the Immigration New Zealand website.

We come in April, and can't wait. With what it costs though, you have to REALLY want to give it a go.

Good luck xxx
Believe it or not, the skills shortage does not equate to vacancies. (Please don't get stroppy if you don't like that)
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:52 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macatack007
I have a friend who lives in Hawks Bay, he said its a beautiful place and keeps telling me to move out ther. I am just worried that I may not be able to afford it.
Oh Purleeze. I mean horses for courses and all that but Hawke Bay ? Nice enough for a week's holiday i.e. Tarradale, Napier etc but live there. No thanks. I'm to young to retire.

I think you will probably spend a lot of money to get to NZ and be disappointed with your life here. People have tried to advise you salary wise and the cost of things and that's about right. You might end up wishing you had spent the money on home improvements or a big holiday or a better than average car that you thought you could not afford but there was money hand over fist to piss away on what could be an ill fated emigration attempt.

If you or anyone else has a problem with what I have written, please feel free to not reply.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

5 years is a very long time to spend in NZ as a way of trying to get into Australia. Do you know that as an NZ citizen, although you can go and work in Oz you will have no rights or entitlements there. To get residency rights in Oz you still need to have the skills they want.

Be aware that NZ is very different to Australia. Being here for 5 years just getting by is a hard thing to do if you dont really want to be here.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ

Be aware that NZ is very different to Australia. Being here for 5 years just getting by is a hard thing to do if you dont really want to be here.
Agreed
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:11 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I think something that has to be borne in mind is what has happened to the exchange rate in the last 6 years.

If anyone moved out here 6 years ago, and owned a house in the U.K., they could probably have bought something better for less. Now, the opposite seems to be true.

There may also have been some spare cash lying around to get over the first few expensive months.

I moved to Oz on an exchage rate of 2.6. It's now 1.5. Rates for NZ are about the same (I think) having dropped from about 3 to 1.9

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.