Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prison officer U.K

Prison officer U.K

Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all
Default Prison officer U.K

Hi. My family and I are contemplating on moving to NZ. I am currently a prison officer here in the UK for 9yrs. We are looking at the North Island. I was just wondering what the correctional facilities are like out there? I understand I would have to start from the beginning and re-train. The starting salary I believe is $46k during training. What I would like to know is the pay scale after that and how long it takes to move up the pay scale?

I also understand the PAYE tax is around 30%, is this correct?
I also believe that the shopping bill is also rather expensive?

What would be the cost of a container to ship your household furniture out there also.

We would potentially be taking around $100,000nz as a deposit on a property of around $270,000. Would that be enough to live in a comfortable type house in NZ?

My wife currently works for local government, what would be her job prospects in NZ and salary that she could expect?

I hope that someone can help with my various questions.

Kind regards

Pete
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:10 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison officer U.K

Originally Posted by macatack007
Hi. My family and I are contemplating on moving to NZ. I am currently a prison officer here in the UK for 9yrs. We are looking at the North Island. I was just wondering what the correctional facilities are like out there? I understand I would have to start from the beginning and re-train. The starting salary I believe is $46k during training. What I would like to know is the pay scale after that and how long it takes to move up the pay scale?

I also understand the PAYE tax is around 30%, is this correct?
I also believe that the shopping bill is also rather expensive?

What would be the cost of a container to ship your household furniture out there also.

We would potentially be taking around $100,000nz as a deposit on a property of around $270,000. Would that be enough to live in a comfortable type house in NZ?

My wife currently works for local government, what would be her job prospects in NZ and salary that she could expect?

I hope that someone can help with my various questions.

Kind regards

Pete
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

As you may notice, I'm in Oz not NZ and regretably I am unable to answer your questions. I know what it cost me to shift all my stuff to Oz but it was 6 years ago. So, a bit out of date.

'Scuse me if I am putting a damper on things but do you have your visas sorted yet?

Anyway, we have lots of friendly knowledgeable peeps on here who can help you but I reckon most of them will be in bed. So if nothing comes along for a few hours, don't panic!

Enjoy B.E.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Dec 15th 2012 at 1:12 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

Hi there and thank you for the welcome.

How much did it cost you 6 yrs ago to transport your home good to OZ.

No not got as far as visas yet. I like to do my research first...lol. I have a friend in Napier who keeps telling me to move to NZ but to be honest I am so nervous that we may not be able to afford it, if that makes sense. All the stories I read from people is thats is expensive for food, holmes etc etc.

Pete
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:30 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and thank you for the welcome.

How much did it cost you 6 yrs ago to transport your home good to OZ.

No not got as far as visas yet. I like to do my research first...lol. I have a friend in Napier who keeps telling me to move to NZ but to be honest I am so nervous that we may not be able to afford it, if that makes sense. All the stories I read from people is thats is expensive for food, holmes etc etc.

Pete
I can understand you wanting to research first - and I really do hope you qualify for a visa - but I'd hate you to do all the work only to find out that can't come anyway. BUT

As I say, others will be along to guide you on that.

6 years ago it was £3,000 to ship my stuff. I reckon that may have nearly doubled. That was for a 20 ft container (which was actually half of a shared 40ft container which makes it cheaper.) I used anglo pacific and for me they were good. You'll hear good and bad reports of all the shipping compaines. It seems that luck comes into it a lot.

As to cost of living. It gets complicated. Some things can be cheaper, most may well be more expensive. Oz and NZ and probably as expensive as each other but, I live in a very rural area which here makes housing, rates and water rates very cheap compared to a large city. Food is more expensive. However, these days, the internet is your friend. Although, NZ has a fairly non-generous level where import tax cuts in.

It's a big thing to move half way round the world. Great when it works - it did for me. Not great if it doesn't.

As I say, check back in a few hours and see what those in the know have to say. Good luck in any event.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice Shelock, much appreciate.

I did do a skills test last year and yes I was lucky to get the points needed if that helps.

Pete
Old Dec 15th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete, I've just joined corrections here in Auckland.
Your miles out on the tax rate.
I'll PM you

col
Old Dec 15th 2012, 5:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Pete,
can't help much on the job front but we moved over in January 2012 family of 4 and with flights, container (40ft with car) visa fees it cost around 12K.

You are taxed on every penny you earn here also holiday entitlement in most area's seem to be much less than UK, you have to pay medical fees, school fees, car's have to be WOF'ed every 6mths so additional costs there.

As for cost of housing that depends hugely on where you live and how much dampness, weeping windows, lack of central heating you are prepared to put up with
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the reply Mrsfychan, much appreciate.
What part of NZ are you in. Is the weather better there than the UK....lol
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:32 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we're 40mins drive north of Wellington. Weather well there's a conundrum. the sun is hotter, add cost of sun screen, but the winds are strong. last year's summer was apparently the worse they had had for years, kept being told it would come in Feb/Mar/April oh well you missed it, so am looking forward to seeing what this summer holds.
We're in a smallish community in a small bay, only one road in and one road out, the same one SH1, with 3 shops, a bookshop, a local store (small) and a hairdressers, the nearest larger town is a 10min drive away but the scenery is beautiful and the skies at night are amazing, but the winds are strong. Not sure I will get over the worry of the wind. earthquakes we were averaging one every 2 weeks when we first got here but luckily nothing drastic, had a fairly large one that had the locals worried back in May/June and another in Aug but not one that caused damage to the property. My 6yr is yet to really feel one, strange lad.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have sent you a PM Justcol

Originally Posted by Justcol
Hi Pete, I've just joined corrections here in Auckland.
Your miles out on the tax rate.
I'll PM you

col
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

I have a friend who lives in Hawks Bay, he said its a beautiful place and keeps telling me to move out ther. I am just worried that I may not be able to afford it.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we're 40mins drive north of Wellington. Weather well there's a conundrum. the sun is hotter, add cost of sun screen, but the winds are strong. last year's summer was apparently the worse they had had for years, kept being told it would come in Feb/Mar/April oh well you missed it, so am looking forward to seeing what this summer holds.
We're in a smallish community in a small bay, only one road in and one road out, the same one SH1, with 3 shops, a bookshop, a local store (small) and a hairdressers, the nearest larger town is a 10min drive away but the scenery is beautiful and the skies at night are amazing, but the winds are strong. Not sure I will get over the worry of the wind. earthquakes we were averaging one every 2 weeks when we first got here but luckily nothing drastic, had a fairly large one that had the locals worried back in May/June and another in Aug but not one that caused damage to the property. My 6yr is yet to really feel one, strange lad.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

The starting salary I believe is $46k during training. We would potentially be taking around $100,000nz as a deposit on a property of around $270,000. Would that be enough to live in a comfortable type house in NZ?
Pete
Hi Pete,
you would seriously struggle on a salary of $46,000. Your wife would need to work too. You don't mention if you have children.
Also $270,000 would not buy you much house wise.
Kaz
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kaz

Thank you for the reply and advice. Its so hard to gauge things from over here. I dont know how much mortgage I would be able to get and if my wife would be able to get a job. She is currently working in local government doing council tax and housing.

Again thank you for the advice Kaz appreciate it.
Pete

Originally Posted by babybella
Hi Pete,
you would seriously struggle on a salary of $46,000. Your wife would need to work too. You don't mention if you have children.
Kaz
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

ps Kaz. Yes we have one child of 5.

Originally Posted by babybella
Hi Pete,
Kaz
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

You will be looking at £10-15,000 to get here including shipping, Medicals, Visa etc. It would definitely be worth taking a look at the skills shortage list on the Immigration New Zealand website.

We come in April, and can't wait. With what it costs though, you have to REALLY want to give it a go.

Good luck xxx

Last edited by RachelG12; Dec 15th 2012 at 10:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.