Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prince William's Visit?

Prince William's Visit?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prince William's Visit?

I watched the ChCh memorial service and it bought tears to my eyes. I watched Prince William on his travels and thought he did a good job.

Then I read in the newspapers an outpouring of negativity and I was a little surprised?

Am I one of the few who thought his presence was a nice touch, an appreciated gesture? Not a publicity stunt? Not a royalist bulls$%t manipulation campaign?

Am I , once again, alone in thinking it was a genuine visit?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future
Default Re: Prince William's Visit?

Erm. Just read this on today's BBC News Front Page: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12810212
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Blow what the papers write. The people that met him seemed to genuinely appreciate that he had come to meet with them all. I appreciated that he came to support our Christchurch city and the Pike River mine community. He did good.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

No you are not alone Loolah, I feel the same way too. He was so sincere, the gentle touch to a shoulder of a bereaved person or some comforting words to them. Just like his mum he will lead by example. We took Diana to our hearts and I think the people will do the same for William. I was moved to tears as well during the memorial service and the best words he spoke was "Grief is the price you pay for love!" Long live Prince William!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
No you are not alone Loolah, I feel the same way too. He was so sincere, the gentle touch to a shoulder of a bereaved person or some comforting words to them. Just like his mum he will lead by example. We took Diana to our hearts and I think the people will do the same for William. I was moved to tears as well during the memorial service and the best words he spoke was "Grief is the price you pay for love!" Long live Prince William!
Well Said. Agree completely.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

As a Republican I am slightly cynical about the visit BUT I do not doubt William's sincerity. I was very impressed with his people skills & I'm sure those people who met him will have been touched by his caring nature. I know my Kiwi friends were grateful that he came.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:45 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I watched the ChCh memorial service and it bought tears to my eyes. I watched Prince William on his travels and thought he did a good job.

Then I read in the newspapers an outpouring of negativity and I was a little surprised?

Am I one of the few who thought his presence was a nice touch, an appreciated gesture? Not a publicity stunt? Not a royalist bulls$%t manipulation campaign?

As some one who is living in Canterbury, near the Sept epicentre, I thought that he did a fantastic job.
Everyone's nerves are rattle down here. The rural sector from Sept's earthquake, and now the city from Feb.
There are many bad and horrid things at the moment, but it was nice to see him taking the time to talk to people. Life as we know it down here has a new normal. One that a lot of us are struggling to get used too.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobDon
Well Said. Agree completely.
+ 1

I think anyone in authority who flies to the otherside of world to give their respect and understandings derserves some credit.

Im guessing it was probably only the kiwi/pom anti royals that knocked it.

Fare play to the man in my opinion.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:19 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't care if it was a publicity stunt (which I doubt anyway); he travelled half way round the world for a few days and only visited areas that were grieving. That's a huge trip for anyone to make let alone someone of his age on his own (as in no royal companion); and he did it just a few weeks before his wedding (okay, so I know he won't be exactly hands-on with the planning of that, but still). Sooner him with his personal experience of grief than one of the other family members who have lead pretty uneventful lives!

I think he did a damn good job
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
As a Republican I am slightly cynical about the visit BUT I do not doubt William's sincerity. I was very impressed with his people skills & I'm sure those people who met him will have been touched by his caring nature. I know my Kiwi friends were grateful that he came.
I am NOT a royalist. He could well turn me into one. Like the cut of his jib. Good lad what?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

I often wonder if I live in the same country as many of the people who post here and this post was a good example of this.

My experience was completely the other end of the spectrum thinking the NZ press/media had gone over the top about Prince Will's visit. In the middle of many disasters that were going on the NZ Herald headline was something like "Prince William brightens the darkest of days" followed by a glowing write up.

It maybe because I live in Auckland and the press is different up here but I think Prince William did a great job and that he was received very very positively by everyone.

Matt
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MattandJax
I often wonder if I live in the same country as many of the people who post here and this post was a good example of this.

My experience was completely the other end of the spectrum thinking the NZ press/media had gone over the top about Prince Will's visit. In the middle of many disasters that were going on the NZ Herald headline was something like "Prince William brightens the darkest of days" followed by a glowing write up.

It maybe because I live in Auckland and the press is different up here but I think Prince William did a great job and that he was received very very positively by everyone.

Matt
Maybe you simply read something different to Am Loolah.

NZ Herald article which was less than glowing sadly.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As someone whom lived through the earthquake. I appreciated the visit it highlighted to the "media world" what Christchurch and not forgetting the miners families are going through.
It lifted a lot of the citizens spirits here.. And I too will not forget his speech especially "grief is the price we pay for love"
Good on yer Prince William !!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Maybe you simply read something different to Am Loolah.

NZ Herald article which was less than glowing sadly.
That article was written by someone with a known Political agenda and does not reflect the positive slant of the numerous other articles that were in Grannie Herald.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
That article was written by someone with a known Political agenda and does not reflect the positive slant of the numerous other articles that were in Grannie Herald.
Yes, that's the article I read that made me start this thread (and I am heartened to read that most disagree and think William did a good job, as I do.)

No idea who the journalist is or his Political agenda. But I'm pretty sure the Sunday Herald is the biggest selling newspaper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.