British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The Prime Minister (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/prime-minister-689869/)

JohnThePom Oct 17th 2010 8:00 am

The Prime Minister

Yey - I've only been here a month and I've already seen the Prime Minister.
He popped into a coffee shop that I completely coincidentally happened to be sitting outside :thumbup:

OK, OK, I know John Keys has a reputation for getting out and about, but I've never been anywhere near a Prime Minister in the UK!

WP

Expat Kiwi Oct 17th 2010 8:08 am

Re: The Prime Minister

I've been on a plane with Helen Clark and John Campbell, bumped into John Howard at an airport last week, short guy he is.

Jan n Neil Oct 17th 2010 8:30 am

In the course of work I have met him three times. The third time he remembered who I was too:thumbsup:. Cool guy, nice to talk to, very relaxed. He's happy to discuss topical things informally too.

Jan

nelsonpom Oct 17th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8923543)
He popped into a coffee shop that I completely coincidentally happened to be sitting outside :thumbup:

OK, OK, I know John Keys has a reputation for getting out and about, but I've never been anywhere near a Prime Minister in the UK!

WP

On my third day here I had an interview at the beehive for a catering managers job and met Helen Clark. Had to come back next day and host xmas breakfast for some of her cabinet, ended up pretty merry on bubbles (and jet lag) chatting to immigration MP !

rason Oct 19th 2010 7:56 am

cool anyone who sees big john again tell him thanks for the extra dosh every month. John Key has bought me a Car...

RobClubley Oct 19th 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8927776)
cool anyone who sees big john again tell him thanks for the extra dosh every month. John Key has bought me a Car...

But you had to pay extra GST on it :)
And on the fuel. And on the carbon bollox levy on the fuel. And on the fuel tax :)

JohnThePom Oct 19th 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 8929083)
But you had to pay extra GST on it :)
And on the fuel. And on the carbon bollox levy on the fuel. And on the fuel tax :)

Oh you're such a petrol head. Try walking. ;) <-----

RobClubley Oct 19th 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8929127)
Oh you're such a petrol head. Try walking. ;) <-----

I am!

Genesis Oct 19th 2010 8:42 pm

WP

That's what I like about NZ. When I worked for the council as a safety officer I had a meeting one 2 one with a minister..for God's sake I was just a clerk!! In the UK in a million lifetimes that would never have had happened.

By the way I think John Key is not very good at his job. He did not listen to the slapping referendum and he thinks 'NZ is not ready for a drop in the aclo levels with respect to driving'. So let's let another 40 or so people die every year because that is what research (international) has shown happen if we don't drop the levels.

I am so bitter about politicians and their useless attitudes on really important issues (that REALLY effect me) that I am never going to vote again. So there.

southerner Oct 20th 2010 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8929189)
...I am so bitter about politicians and their useless attitudes on really important issues (that REALLY effect me) that I am never going to vote again. So there.

Ouch!

southerner Oct 20th 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8927776)

Yes, he was not able to buy my vote at the last election with his tax cuts. But I'm also pretty appreciative now.

londonescapee Oct 20th 2010 8:51 am

WP

He's also out and about quite often down the local shops round Parnell too. Bloke at work nearly fell over with shock when he realised he was standing next to Mr Key - they were both trying to decide what tinned tomatoes to buy. He only had a couple of security people around as well who were pretty unobtrusive.

I quite like him and his wife - they don't come across as pretentious and they worked danged hard to get where they are in life. There's quite a lot of tall poppy syndrome kicking around in reference to these two which seems a bit harsh. Don't ask me about their policies though, wouldn't have a clue!

I drove back from work yesterday to hear a heated exchange on the radio from that day's Parliament session. They're just as rowdy as Westminster I was pleased to hear :p - if not more so! What else do we want our politicians to do apart from shout insults at each other during question time?!

cappuccino Oct 20th 2010 10:32 am

When I worked for the Ministry of Health, I regularly chatted to Tony Ryall when he came to the building (he of flamboyant tie fame). I've also been in the emergency bunker beneath the Beehive - would never, in all my life in the UK, have had a chance to do that!

Charismatic Oct 20th 2010 11:10 am

I met Tammy Wells (THEY Briscoes lady) once :eek:. I met Xena "warrior princess" as well once going under a pseudo name of Lucy Lawless, for some reason our conversation didn’t last long :confused:.

jennifer45 Oct 22nd 2010 10:42 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8930383)
He's also out and about quite often down the local shops round Parnell too. Bloke at work nearly fell over with shock when he realised he was standing next to Mr Key - they were both trying to decide what tinned tomatoes to buy. He only had a couple of security people around as well who were pretty unobtrusive.

I quite like him and his wife - they don't come across as pretentious and they worked danged hard to get where they are in life. .......
I drove back from work yesterday to hear a heated exchange on the radio from that day's Parliament session.

Watch the televising of Parliament.
It's a hoot. There is one asian Minster who is totally unable to answer a question..She constantly misunderstands it. Whether this is deliberate or she has a poor command of english, I'm not sure, but i do think "how in hells name has she got that position?"
We need help if that is the standard accepted to run NZ!
The TV recording is better than the light entertainment programmes.
problem is - it can make you feel quite suicidal when you realise the inmates are running the Asylum.
Not made my mind up on Keys yet but warming to him a bit!:o