Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in Christchurch - Help & Ideas Please

Primary Teaching in Christchurch - Help & Ideas Please

Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:01 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Primary Teaching in Christchurch - Help & Ideas Please

Hi there,

We've read in other posts about people's experiences of teaching primary in ChCh, but are buggered if we can find them again!

So, if you have any knowledge of this area, like agencies to register with for supply work, best way to go about applying for perm jobs and the like, could you post up here so that we can get chat to get an idea of the best way to go about things?

Many thanks,

Wiz'n'Ton
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Primary Teaching in Christchurch - Help & Ideas Please

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi there,

We've read in other posts about people's experiences of teaching primary in ChCh, but are buggered if we can find them again!

So, if you have any knowledge of this area, like agencies to register with for supply work, best way to go about applying for perm jobs and the like, could you post up here so that we can get chat to get an idea of the best way to go about things?

Many thanks,

Wiz'n'Ton

Hi! Planty's OH here (I seem to be on here more often than he is at the moment!). Can't offer too much advice about Christchurch, but can give my experience of finding work in primary in Timaru.
I'm not sure about agencies in Christchurch; I did try to locate some when we were still in the UK, and it seemed tthat they were based, in the main, in Aukland. I discovered that there is a Relief Teacher's scheme here in Timaru, which I joined. Basically, there are about 10 local schools signed up to it, and they go through a co-ordinator to book relief teachers for work. I got heaps of work through the scheme last term, and once individual schools have had you in and see that you can do the job, they tend to book you up for work on the spot.
It would be worth visiting some schools around Christchurch and handing over some CVs; the school principals are generally very willing to talk to you, and they would know about local arrangements regarding relief teacher schemes. Don't forget, schools don't reopen until the beginning of February.
As you're probably aware, jobs are advertised via 'edgazette' which is easy to find on the web. Not many jobs around at the moment because schools tried to get their staffing sorted in readiness for the start of the academic year, but there are bound to be some short term contracts that come up, so it's always worth a look.
I applied for lots of posts throughout last term, and it appears that there are an awful lot of people going for the same jobs, so it's not easy! I've now got a contract for this coming academic year, and that was largely down to recommendations from the schools where I had done relief work. I would recommend the Relief teacher route as a way in; you get a bit of a feel for the way that the NZ school system works, and you get your face known!

Hope that all helps!
PM me if you think I can be of help.
Welcome to New Zealand!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Primary Teaching in Christchurch - Help & Ideas Please

Hi there,

Many thanks,

Wiz'n'Ton
List of primary schools in Christchurch here: http://library.christchurch.org.nz/R...iate/index.asp
or here:
http://www.nzs.com/region/canterbury...ation/primary/
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

I've just thought of something else!
When I first started Relief teaching here, I was asked by the school administrator for my MOE (Ministry of Education) number - I didn't know I had to have one! I had to fill in a form (which can be obtained from School Support in Christchurch, I think, and return it to School Support with copies of documents which verified my work experience and salary from my last full-time post. These copies had to be verified by a JP or other 'worthy' person (I asked one of the school principals to sign mine). If you don't have a MOE number you get paid the basic (unqualified teacher) rate. It didn't take long for it to be sorted out, and once I had my MOE number I was paid back the full amount for the work that I had already done.
Hope that all makes sense!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:28 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - thanks guys, that info's a great help. When we get to town tomorrow I'll visit School Support and start the MOE process. May struggle a bit since last full time job was up to '04, and I have worked as supply ever since.

I've got in touch with Select, an agency in ChCH, and hope to register with them soon - still waiting for confirmation from the NZQA though, so that will hold me back for a while. How long did it take you guys to get your qualifications assessed? Also, what can I expect to get paid for a day of supply teaching, at the basic rate (assuming I don't get an MOE # any time soon) and at M4 level (assuming I do!)?

Will also try and use these first weeks to visit the local schools and introduce myself/ spread my CV about, to see if this will help things along.

Really appreciate your help here. I've been having kittens about finding work, and feel a little reassured.

Cheers,

Toni
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't be surprised if there isn't much going on at primary schools for next week or so, I think most don't go back until around 7th Feb, although obviously teachers and support staff should be around before that.
School term dates are here: http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...ocumentid=3767
Of course, the time before the kids go back may be the best time to have an informal chat to get more information... Good luck!
I'm not a teacher myself, but know of others who are...

Last edited by Apple12; Jan 17th 2007 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow - thanks guys, that info's a great help. When we get to town tomorrow I'll visit School Support and start the MOE process. May struggle a bit since last full time job was up to '04, and I have worked as supply ever since.

I've got in touch with Select, an agency in ChCH, and hope to register with them soon - still waiting for confirmation from the NZQA though, so that will hold me back for a while. How long did it take you guys to get your qualifications assessed? Also, what can I expect to get paid for a day of supply teaching, at the basic rate (assuming I don't get an MOE # any time soon) and at M4 level (assuming I do!)?

Will also try and use these first weeks to visit the local schools and introduce myself/ spread my CV about, to see if this will help things along.

Really appreciate your help here. I've been having kittens about finding work, and feel a little reassured.

Cheers,

Toni
Hi Guys!
I've sent you a PM with more info.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by planty
Hi Guys!
I've sent you a PM with more info.
Great stuff Planty. Have just seen it and will let Toni know. Spoke to the bank yesterday, and he said that a primary teachers wage is very respectable here in NZ, and prob in top 30% of earners. Blimey!

Will look at the School Support stuff, and see if we've brought enough documentaion with us to make it stick.

Again, thanks to both yourself and Apple12. Will drop you a line with more Q's as things progress.

Cheers,

Wiz