British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Primary School Uniforms/shoes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/primary-school-uniforms-shoes-678904/)

donnisons Jul 29th 2010 7:12 pm

Primary School Uniforms/shoes

We are finally getting ready to make our big move. Setting off in September but taking a big trip on the way so don't actually arrive until beginning of October - not sure if I'm excited, scared or just numb, but I've got a while to work it out!

Should I buy any school uniform for my son (aged 5) before we come? IE is there a standard colour trouser/shorts, pe kit etc? Also I've read that shoes are difficult to get and since he has a very wide foot (H fitting) again should I stock up on school shoes and if so what colour? The other thing is we don't really know where we will live when we arrive as we intend buying a car and continuing our trip so we can have a look round to see where we want to live.

Thanks in advance of receiving your wisdom.

Jewelie38 Jul 29th 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Primary School Uniforms/shoes

Originally Posted by donnisons (Post 8738570)
We are finally getting ready to make our big move. Setting off in September but taking a big trip on the way so don't actually arrive until beginning of October - not sure if I'm excited, scared or just numb, but I've got a while to work it out!

Should I buy any school uniform for my son (aged 5) before we come? IE is there a standard colour trouser/shorts, pe kit etc? Also I've read that shoes are difficult to get and since he has a very wide foot (H fitting) again should I stock up on school shoes and if so what colour? The other thing is we don't really know where we will live when we arrive as we intend buying a car and continuing our trip so we can have a look round to see where we want to live.

Thanks in advance of receiving your wisdom.

Hi there, we have three children, two of which will be starting a new school but when I've looked into it, most schools will only allow their own uniforms that have their logos on, so think you may be better waiting till you decide on where you are settling. As for the shoes, most schools have a website that show what sort of shoes will be allowed so you could take a few pairs with you. Have you any idea of which part you will be settling in?
We are going to rent in the Whangaparaoa area so the children will be going to the Whangaparaoa College hopefully.:fingerscrossed:

Tomsk Jul 29th 2010 8:32 pm

It also depends on the school and the area. Not all primary schools have a uniform.
Some don't even insist on shoes :eek:

CindyGirl Jul 30th 2010 4:40 am

Best to wait till you arrive before you get uniform .Definately stock up on Clarks shoes ,though some are available in some parts of Nz ,but obviously there is not so much choice .Hope that helps.:)

bga Jul 31st 2010 12:08 am

in my experience if you buy the kids decent ie Clarkes, shoes they won't wear 'em.. mine just wears trainers/jandals and would be out of place with decent shoes on :) - wait till you're here and buy uniforms then