Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:18 am
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice
Default Re: Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Just to echo, good luck and best wishes with all that is happening.

kejktfc
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Hi,

I was interviewd on skype so can partially empathise with the experience. I could see the chair of the panel so could respond appropriately to the non verbal communication. I had notes posted behnd the camera as prompts. It's the only time I have been interviewed in my wallace and grommit slippers. Any chance you could get feedback from the first, though unsuccessful, interview?

Sorry can't help with primary school advice. I work in the tertiary sector. NZ employers are obsessed with competency based evidence (due to their fixation with a unit standards based curricula) so have plenty of examples ready. Their education system has recently gone through changes so you might benefit from getting the point across that the UK is constantly reviewing the national curriculum, sats etc and something about the diversity of students on S yorks. Do they still have middle schools? I think that there are some middle schools here (not 100% on that though). The treaty was a biggy for my interview too. The key point there being that the transaltion of ti tiriti into the treaty (English version) resulted in a misinterpretation of the intent. A primary school in Auckland is very different to a primary school in Drury or even the South Island. Where I live (East Auckland) there are lots of international students so English is their second language and not necessarily the language spoken at home, just like many children in Yorkshire.

Anyway good luck, I am sending good vibes.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Well... the latest developments are:

My wife has another SKYPE interview arranged, this time at 21:00 this coming Monday evening. If she's "successful" in that interview, they're likely to request a second interview with her in the days after we land in Auckland.

Our house is being packed up by PSS this coming Wed/Thurs

We're off to London on Friday evening and going to spend Saturday in London

We're flying out of London to New Zealand on Sunday morning and arrive in Auckland in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

On the Wednesday, my wife jumps on a plane (on her own - leaving me and our two boys to enjoy Auckland for the day), to go to a Job Interview near Christchurch, before flying back up to us the same day. The school have promised to tell my wife that same evening (the following morning at the latest), if she's got the job or not!

Now that would be nice if that worked out!

Fingers crossed!
What busy people you are!
Good luck with it all.
Fingers crossed for the interviews
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the packing, travel and the interviews! You really did jump didn't you , karma on its way
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of luck with the interviews and packing and spending your last few days in the UK.
Have a safe flight
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Lots of luck with the interviews and packing and spending your last few days in the UK.
Have a safe flight
Ditto.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Well... the latest developments are:

My wife has another SKYPE interview arranged, this time at 21:00 this coming Monday evening. If she's "successful" in that interview, they're likely to request a second interview with her in the days after we land in Auckland.

Our house is being packed up by PSS this coming Wed/Thurs

We're off to London on Friday evening and going to spend Saturday in London

We're flying out of London to New Zealand on Sunday morning and arrive in Auckland in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

On the Wednesday, my wife jumps on a plane (on her own - leaving me and our two boys to enjoy Auckland for the day), to go to a Job Interview near Christchurch, before flying back up to us the same day. The school have promised to tell my wife that same evening (the following morning at the latest), if she's got the job or not!

Now that would be nice if that worked out!

Fingers crossed!
OMG - cannot belive how fast this is all moving for you! your wife gets the job in Christchurch!

My hubby and I are secondary school teachers and applying for jobs at the mo - a telephone interview has been mentioned - although am not looking forward to it! Thanks so much for your post with all the questions - different age range I know but does give us some idea!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cadibel
OMG - cannot belive how fast this is all moving for you! your wife gets the job in Christchurch!

My hubby and I are secondary school teachers and applying for jobs at the mo - a telephone interview has been mentioned - although am not looking forward to it! Thanks so much for your post with all the questions - different age range I know but does give us some idea!
With Secondary School Teachers on the LTSSL you should find it a bit easier than us shouldn't you?

Role on 21:00 tonight... SKYPE here we (well actually "she") comes!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:08 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

With Secondary School Teachers on the LTSSL you should find it a bit easier than us shouldn't you?

Good luck, you should be right about now having your interview, keep us all posted on how it goes.

Tina. x
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Really hoping your wife got her job! BTW - you don't know how long you have to accept/ decline a job do you? In the UK it is very much a here and now yes or no, but wondered if you maybe had a bit longer to think about it over there?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Can I offer a word of support? We often interview people over the phone and apart from the initial period of getting used to speaking to them just over the phone it's not normally too much of a problem. They know they can't pick up nuances but if an interview is 45 minutes + then you figure certain things out.

The principle at my mothers school does her interviews over the phone. It's easier often as they can just ring when it suits them. No worrying about whether all have webcams.

Another thing, look at the children at your current school. If you have had experience teaching a number of esol kids, or those on the autism spectrum say so. Or at least have that to hand.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Really hoping your wife got her job! BTW - you don't know how long you have to accept/ decline a job do you? In the UK it is very much a here and now yes or no, but wondered if you maybe had a bit longer to think about it over there?
The job interview went well and they've told her they'll tell her before the weekend whether she's got the job or not!

In terms of the timescales for accepting a job, we're assuming it's just like the UK!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

The job interview went well and they've told her they'll tell her before the weekend whether she's got the job or not!

In terms of the timescales for accepting a job, we're assuming it's just like the UK!
Ohh, nail biting
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

OOh, hoping it's a YES!

I've got an interview for next week - any one any secondary school interview questions?