Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

OMG

We've just had the confirmation that my wife is to be interviewed on Saturday night at 21:00 by the interview panel of a Primary School in New Zealand.

Now all thoughts turn to the interview and what they might ask.

My wife has not been interviewed for almost 8 years and although she has been on an Interview Panel in the past, she assures me that the two are VERY different. So it's natural of course for her to wonder what type of things they're going to ask her and attempt to be as prepared as possible.

We've researched the local area around the school as much as we feel is possible without jumping on a plane and getting there... but what types of questions are schools asking in interviews?

Are there any Primary School teachers out there who've recently been through (successful or not) an interview process with an NZ Primary School? What types of things where you asked? Do you have any general comments/suggestions that may be valuable to my wife in preparing for the interview?

It's all getting very exciting... there's apparently only four candidates being interviewed - she must surely be in with a fighting chance??!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Originally Posted by thedtb
OMG

We've just had the confirmation that my wife is to be interviewed on Saturday night at 21:00 by the interview panel of a Primary School in New Zealand.

My wife has not been interviewed for almost 8 years and although she has been on an Interview Panel in the past, she assures me that the two are VERY different. So it's natural of course for her to wonder what type of things they're going to ask her and attempt to be as prepared as possible.

We've researched the local area around the school as much as we feel is possible without jumping on a plane and getting there... but what types of questions are schools asking in interviews?

Are there any Primary School teachers out there who've recently been through (successful or not) an interview process with an NZ Primary School? What types of things where you asked? Do you have any general comments/suggestions that may be valuable to my wife in preparing for the interview?

It's all getting very exciting... there's apparently only four candidates being interviewed - she must surely be in with a fighting chance??!!
Hi,

We have noticed in our a couple of interivews which we have had that the kiwi's seem very hot on competency based questions so get loads of examples ready.

Good Luck for tomorrow
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

We have noticed in our a couple of interivews which we have had that the kiwi's seem very hot on competency based questions so get loads of examples ready.

Good Luck for tomorrow
I had my interview last Sun night but it was for a nursing post which I appreciate is different.
I also was asked lots of competency based questions. They also asked about the Treaty of Waitangi principles and how I felt this would impact my work and care. Treaty of Waitangi seems to figure large in all employment issues.

I did find it hard being interviewed over the phone but they were really friendly and seemed to understand how hard this process is. They didn't ask me why NZ or anything like that.

I sat on the floor with notes all around me and it worked well. There was no time delay on the phone. I did have a horrible buzzing noise but they did not seem to be hearing it. A bit off putting. It had been over 5 years since my last interview so I was more nervous than I needed to be too

Best of luck.You'll be great
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Primary School Job Interview Booked. Sat @ 21:00. Suggestions wanted.

OMG

Yes, I have been interviewed for primary jobs. Have sent you a PM. Good luck with the interview!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

No help whatsoever, but just wanted to wish your DW good luck
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

At an interview for a TA position in a primary school in Bay of Plenty I was asked to give myself marks out of 10 for various skills or character traits from flexability in the work place to conflict management to artist ability.

They might refer to a 'year group' as a 'Syndicate'.

good luck with the interview.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Any news yet?? If DW can bear it could she post a summary of questions for everyone's info? Big thanks and
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Any news yet?? If DW can bear it could she post a summary of questions for everyone's info? Big thanks and
Server problems at the school are preventing them from getting Internet Access and/or running Skype. My wife has spoken with the school and agreed that they will call back a little later once they've resolved the issues (their IT bod's are apparently still in bed ) and can then proceed - my wife suggested and the school agreed, that it'd presumably be best if they could see her respond to their questions (eg. via web cam) as well as hear her.

However if push comes to shove they'll resort to just a telephone interview... personally, (assuming they're interviewing the other three candidates face-to-face) I think this possibly places my wife at a greater disadvantage so fingers crosses they'll get their webcam etc up and running soon.

The anticipation is immense so I reckon I'll refrain from telling the wife that the entire NZ arm of the BritishExpats.com forum is waiting for feedback about her interview ha ha.

Looking forward to posting some good news in the not too distant future.

Tick... tock... tick... tock

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for all the "good luck" messages... they/you are very much appreciated!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Server problems at the school are preventing them from getting Internet Access and/or running Skype. My wife has spoken with the school and agreed that they will call back a little later once they've resolved the issues (their IT bod's are apparently still in bed ) and can then proceed - my wife suggested and the school agreed, that it'd presumably be best if they could see her respond to their questions (eg. via web cam) as well as hear her.

However if push comes to shove they'll resort to just a telephone interview... personally, (assuming they're interviewing the other three candidates face-to-face) I think this possibly places my wife at a greater disadvantage so fingers crosses they'll get their webcam etc up and running soon.

The anticipation is immense so I reckon I'll refrain from telling the wife that the entire NZ arm of the BritishExpats.com forum is waiting for feedback about her interview ha ha.

Looking forward to posting some good news in the not too distant future.

Tick... tock... tick... tock

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for all the "good luck" messages... they/you are very much appreciated!
Oh poop!! Just pile on the pressure then, poor woman
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Had the interview around 1:30am last night - it seems like a dream / nightmare now!

No news yet - hopefully we'll be put out of our misery soon.

Here are some of the questions that I was asked:
  • Why are you passionate about teaching this age range?
  • Can you reacall an event in your teaching career that you are proud of?
  • What makes for good parent communication?
  • In this scenario what would you do?
    Whilst a another teacher is taking your class for a music lesson, you notice that the noise level within the classroom is very loud, as you walk past the classroom, you see that some boys are messing around and throwing tambourines around the room.
  • What wider opportunities could you offer to children at our school?
  • What 3 qualities do you think are most important for teachers to have if working at a small school?
  • What professional development do you feel you will need during this post?
  • Why did you apply for a job at this particular school?
  • If we offered you the job would you accept it?
  • Do you have any questions for us?
Hope that's helpful to you.

I'm not very confident that I've been successful, as I know that I wasn't at my best. Also I had to do the interview over the phone so couldn't gauge the panel's reactions to my answers, but we'll wait and see.

Thedtb's wife
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:46 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

for you Mrs dtb, what an awful time to have to get yourself together for a telephone interview! and after hanging around for hours you must have been pooped!! ..... Think if it had been me I would have been glad they couldn't see me .... would have probably had a p****d off face on!!
& good luck
B x
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had the interview around 1:30am last night - it seems like a dream / nightmare now!

No news yet - hopefully we'll be put out of our misery soon.

Here are some of the questions that I was asked:
  • Why are you passionate about teaching this age range?
  • Can you reacall an event in your teaching career that you are proud of?
  • What makes for good parent communication?
  • In this scenario what would you do?
    Whilst a another teacher is taking your class for a music lesson, you notice that the noise level within the classroom is very loud, as you walk past the classroom, you see that some boys are messing around and throwing tambourines around the room.
  • What wider opportunities could you offer to children at our school?
  • What 3 qualities do you think are most important for teachers to have if working at a small school?
  • What professional development do you feel you will need during this post?
  • Why did you apply for a job at this particular school?
  • If we offered you the job would you accept it?
  • Do you have any questions for us?
Hope that's helpful to you.

I'm not very confident that I've been successful, as I know that I wasn't at my best. Also I had to do the interview over the phone so couldn't gauge the panel's reactions to my answers, but we'll wait and see.

Thedtb's wife
Thank you so much for taking the time to post. What a horrible way to do an interview.
But if you don't succeed this time you'll be so well prepared for the next.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. What a horrible way to do an interview.
But if you don't succeed this time you'll be so well prepared for the next.
Alas, she wasn't successful with this job. It appears yet again she was passed over for someone already in NZ.

Oh well, you win some you lose some - now it's time to really make this happen. (see my next/new thread).

thedtb
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Well... the latest developments are:

My wife has another SKYPE interview arranged, this time at 21:00 this coming Monday evening. If she's "successful" in that interview, they're likely to request a second interview with her in the days after we land in Auckland.

Our house is being packed up by PSS this coming Wed/Thurs

We're off to London on Friday evening and going to spend Saturday in London

We're flying out of London to New Zealand on Sunday morning and arrive in Auckland in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

On the Wednesday, my wife jumps on a plane (on her own - leaving me and our two boys to enjoy Auckland for the day), to go to a Job Interview near Christchurch, before flying back up to us the same day. The school have promised to tell my wife that same evening (the following morning at the latest), if she's got the job or not!

Now that would be nice if that worked out!

Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:02 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Well... the latest developments are:

My wife has another SKYPE interview arranged, this time at 21:00 this coming Monday evening. If she's "successful" in that interview, they're likely to request a second interview with her in the days after we land in Auckland.

Our house is being packed up by PSS this coming Wed/Thurs

We're off to London on Friday evening and going to spend Saturday in London

We're flying out of London to New Zealand on Sunday morning and arrive in Auckland in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

On the Wednesday, my wife jumps on a plane (on her own - leaving me and our two boys to enjoy Auckland for the day), to go to a Job Interview near Christchurch, before flying back up to us the same day. The school have promised to tell my wife that same evening (the following morning at the latest), if she's got the job or not!

Now that would be nice if that worked out!

Fingers crossed!
OMG ..all happening for you guys at the mo!!!
Whatever happens We hope you'll have a safe journey and be happy ever after!!
enjoy enjoy enjoy
B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.