Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

PRIMARY OR INTERMEDIATE ?

PRIMARY OR INTERMEDIATE ?

Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice
Default PRIMARY OR INTERMEDIATE ?

Hi, my son's D.O.B is 11/08/1999, 10 years at present, been on NZgovt. but couldnt find the answers, phoned numerous schools who tell me to fill out enrollment forms, so thought I would ask you guys, is he primary or intermediate ?, Thank you.Sue
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:31 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRIMARY OR INTERMEDIATE ?

Depends when he starts school in NZ, he has just finished UK Yr6 and would normally go into the current NZ Yr 6 based on age and move to an Intermediate school in Feb 2011 when the new school year starts.

If you start him in Intermediate now he will be 1yr out which may have social and sports implications and it will only be a year before he moves school again.

We have decided to put our #3 daughter (DoB 12/8/00) into NZ Yr6 to make some friends before moving to the Intermediate, but she will be starting in the next few weeks so will get 1.5 terms or thereabouts before moving.

Our #2 is 2yrs older, we will put her into Yr7, she will move again in a yr or so but better than moving again in a matter of months.

As both girls are young for the school year we have no issues with them repeating part of their year.

Info on age vs yr difficult to find on the NZ minedu site but this might be useful (or wrong!)
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

thanks simonsi, were moving into our rental in three weeks, and really was hoping he could go into primary with his two younger brothers, so thanks again and have a good flight. sue
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ta, where abouts in Auckland are you?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I believe he'll be primary year six too
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:19 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

My 10 yr old .. born Oct 99 is in yr 6
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bga
My 10 yr old .. born Oct 99 is in yr 6
My 10 yr old born 02/06/00 is in yr 5. When we came he had just finished yr 4 but they wanted him to repeat 2 terms of year 4 here. Said it would help him settle in and there were some others of the same age in his class,even though he is one of the oldest.

Best thing would be to see which area you will be in and therefore which school they will be going to and ask them at the time. If they think they should be intermediate they will tell you.

Phyl x
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all very much, really glad he'll be primary, sue
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ta, where abouts in Auckland are you?
Hi, North shore at the min, but Hillsborough soon,nightmare commuting from here for OH, and my job is in Mangere, not started yet,.....and the house has a big GARDEN ! (thank god somebody didnt sell there garden) sue
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi, my son's D.O.B is 11/08/1999, 10 years at present, been on NZgovt. but couldnt find the answers, phoned numerous schools who tell me to fill out enrollment forms, so thought I would ask you guys, is he primary or intermediate ?, Thank you.Sue
Just a thought on a slightly different tack.
The schools here dont seem as regimented on school years re age as they are in the UK.
My youngest is 9, DOB 19.3.01 and when we left the UK in January he was 1 term into year 4.
We had been advised by many a person to try and have him 'bumped up' a year as he is a bright lad. When he started in his new school here we asked if this was possible and he was placed in a class which teaches both year 4 and 5 children. He found it all good but not very challenging.
We have just moved to Tauranga and the new primary he has started have put him into a year 5/6 class. This seems to be much better for him and he now feels like hes getting stretched a bit.
I wouldnt sweat to much over the issue as the schools seem to have a degree of flexibility which was sorely lacking in the UK. Hopefully this means that should you wish to move them up a bit or down a bit - for whatever reason - it should be ok x

Also, there are some primary schools here which cater for years 7 and 8 anyway. If you found that he couldnt stay at primary level you could try and find a school that keeps years 7 and 8 till high school and put them all there instead.

Last edited by Psychopandy; Aug 2nd 2010 at 1:53 am. Reason: added a bit x
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

hillsboro has a lovely primary apparently. My friends' kids go there. Their eldest is yr 4 though.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pricklykina
hillsboro has a lovely primary apparently. My friends' kids go there. Their eldest is yr 4 though.
would you belive it...on the wrong side of the road for Hillsborough primary, but not moving, we have a BIG garden But thank you everyone for your help.Sue x