Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

prices of bills etc

prices of bills etc

Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

wingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nice
Default prices of bills etc

hi i am looking for a rough estimate of monthly outgoing ie rent, food, gas/elec, you know the same as you would pay monthly in uk except of course yous are in nz thanks
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prices of bills etc

food for us is around $250 a week. thats for 2 adults and a 15 yr old.
rent will vary depending on where you are and what you rent.
Next door to me is a brand new 4 bed , 2 bathroom house and rents for around $450 p/w.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

For 2 adults we pay approx the following

Electric $80 - $120 pcm in the summer months and $250 - $350 pcm in the winter months using heat pumps and fan heaters which chew through the power.

Food about $400 pcm including luxuries and toiletries etc

fuel approx $300 pcm running 2 vehicles and living 30 minutes drive from work so need to take into account distance that you will be traveling.

Vehicle rego etc is about $1400 per year as we have 2 cars and 2 motorbikes

Insurances fully comp for house contents cars etc $170 pcm

Environment waikato is $500 per year

Council rates for us is approx $1,500 per year, This can vary widely depending on where you buy. If you are renting then this is included in your rent.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:13 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Hi

We are a family of 5 (2 adults; 7;5;3yrs kids - no pets)
I am at home with the kids - so if you are both out of the house during the day your power and heating may be reduced.

Food is about $225 to 250 a week. (but if I need to buy much meat that will go up by another $25 to $50) There is no alcohol included in that shopping price. Again if I get a couple of bottles of wine and some beer, another $24 to $50)

Electricity - Summer around $180
Winter around $225 (but we turn our hot water cylinder off and heat our hot water through our wet back fireplace - also heats the house)
Winter fuel bill $200 a month. (wood)

We run a 4 wheel drive on diesel (we live about an hour away from OH work) for myself and him a car.
car tank full is about $70 and he gets 400km (approx)

My truck (diesel) costs about $75 and I get 600km per tank
But be aware that there is an extra tax to pay on diesel vehicles called diesel miles (it is - from memory - about $210 for 5000km - which is about $18 per tank full extra).

Mobiles - we are about $150 a month - plus (but a lot of that would be work - my bill is normally $50 odd dollars)

Insurances for land (lifestyle block), house, contents and 2 x cars again I think that it is about $180 a month

Health insurance (basic cover) is $80.00 per month

Land line phone and broadband is about $150 a month

If you wanted sky hdttv it is just under $100 with the sports etc (from memory)

our rates are about $1600 a year
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are 2 adults, 1 11 yr old. Our rent is $420pwk, food approx $180 pwk, mobiles vary but we are with 2 degrees which are better value than telecom or vodafone, internet & home phone $97 month (includes free local & uk calls), electric about $100 per month but we have no heating (haven't been here for a winter yet) car insurance $450 per annum A tank of petrol $75 lasts us about 2-3 weeks cos we don't use the car much!! Cockroach spray $4 a can!!!!! Bevissa
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:14 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi, we are 2 adults, 1 11 yr old. Our rent is $420pwk, food approx $180 pwk, mobiles vary but we are with 2 degrees which are better value than telecom or vodafone, internet & home phone $97 month (includes free local & uk calls), electric about $100 per month but we have no heating (haven't been here for a winter yet) car insurance $450 per annum A tank of petrol $75 lasts us about 2-3 weeks cos we don't use the car much!! Cockroach spray $4 a can!!!!! Bevissa
Great info you guys thank you.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

speks is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: prices of bills etc

I have lived in Auckland, rural and now just outside of Christchurch. The cost of living , bills has varied quite markedly. Cost of living is relatively high given transport charges and small population does not deliver the same economies...

Better to look at the income side and see what you can earn relative to the average/median in the area you are thinking of moving to.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

wingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nice

hi guys

tahnsk for all replies just wanted an insite into roughly bills etc so thanks to all that replied keep them coming im sure it will be of great help to all us thinking of making the big move

cheers tracey
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:30 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ble
Hi

We are a family of 5 (2 adults; 7;5;3yrs kids - no pets)
I am at home with the kids - so if you are both out of the house during the day your power and heating may be reduced.

Food is about $225 to 250 a week. (but if I need to buy much meat that will go up by another $25 to $50) There is no alcohol included in that shopping price. Again if I get a couple of bottles of wine and some beer, another $24 to $50)

Electricity - Summer around $180
Winter around $225 (but we turn our hot water cylinder off and heat our hot water through our wet back fireplace - also heats the house)
Winter fuel bill $200 a month. (wood)

We run a 4 wheel drive on diesel (we live about an hour away from OH work) for myself and him a car.
car tank full is about $70 and he gets 400km (approx)

My truck (diesel) costs about $75 and I get 600km per tank
But be aware that there is an extra tax to pay on diesel vehicles called diesel miles (it is - from memory - about $210 for 5000km - which is about $18 per tank full extra).

Mobiles - we are about $150 a month - plus (but a lot of that would be work - my bill is normally $50 odd dollars)

Insurances for land (lifestyle block), house, contents and 2 x cars again I think that it is about $180 a month

Health insurance (basic cover) is $80.00 per month

Land line phone and broadband is about $150 a month

If you wanted sky hdttv it is just under $100 with the sports etc (from memory)

our rates are about $1600 a year

Hi there. Everytime I read about normal every day costs from you good people in nz my heart sinks. I don't expect the earth when we move over there but on OH (hopefully not bad) salary, things would be much tighter than here and that would be without a mortgage or rent to pay.

Trying so hard to make it work Will read on
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:49 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Just another odd bill to be aware of. I had forgotten to add this one on, but I remember that it surprised me when I moved back here.

The cost of a doctors visit.

These vary dramatically.

My doctor - and we live in a rural district

$5 for 5yrs and under
$35 for 6years plus (I think it is to 18)
$55 for adult.

But as I mention these do vary - one of my sisters (middle NI) it is only $35.00 for an adult, but another sister (lower NI) it is $75.00

I know that you always think - well I am hardly ever at the doctor - but it is the unexpected bills - like this - that are the budget busters. In our household anyhow.

I had to take my 5 and my 6 year old ($40 thank you very much) - in another few months that would have been double. A third of my weekly grocery money.

Heres hoping that none of the kids or myself or partner are sick again for a few months.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:51 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Ok posting as a couple our electric bill is about $60 a month in summer $80 a month in winter (we have heat pump, wet back and gas stove) gas is about $30 per 3 months, water $160 per 6 months, rates $344 per quarter, phone and broadband $75 a month, sky $90, wood $350 a year, food $130 a week (but wife is vegetarian and I am a trained chef). We have a new baby so things will change but overall we don't spend anything like other people. Not sure how everyone spends so much .....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

family of 3.5... off the top of my head

(fortnightly)
$920 rent
$60 leccy
$20 water
$400 groceries/household shopping
$55 phone/broadband
$150 petrol (two and a bit tanks - need one tank a week for commuting)

(other)
$250 car licence (rego) per annum
$450 car insurance per annum
$1000 last trip to dentist (root filling)
$10 last trip to doc for 2yr old inc prescrip
$35 last trip to radiographer for scan
$18.50 30x iron tablets from pharmacy
$40 last trip to the flicks for 2 adults 1 toddler (christmas treat!)
$20 last takeaway pizza for same (ditto!)
$20 last trip to cafe for same (coffee, tea, ginger beer, a muffin and a slice)

(ok, i can see now why we overspent over christmas!!)

HTH
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:41 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wingy
hi i am looking for a rough estimate of monthly outgoing ie rent, food, gas/elec, you know the same as you would pay monthly in uk except of course yous are in nz thanks
Hi If it will be of help to you please go to the Thread on Coronation Street for TV cost.