Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Price increases in the UK

Price increases in the UK

Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

boggey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Price increases in the UK

i was told as pommes in Nz we all have cheese and wine evenings ,i belived em ,untill they said they sit around eating cheese and wyning about weather, prices of stuff, the pomy bashing they put up with ,lol
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that comparisons are probably most relevant when on holiday - you are then spending your UK wages in a different country and expect things to cost different amounts.

However, if you choose to live in another country and earn that country's wages, then IMO, there is not too much point in making comparisons, good or bad. As BEVS said, she doesn't really care what things cost in the UK - will it help in NZ to know that a loaf of bread is costing £1.50 plus? Not really - what is important is how much your weekly shopping bill etc compares to the wages you are currently earning wherever in the world you are.

It's all relative!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Did the question really justify that rant?

Sorry I asked.
I wondered that too. The price of things and the quality of things back from where we came do bear some relevance to some of us here in NZ as some may (and I am sure some do) return to the UK for better cheaper food and better shopping generally. I warn those coming that the quality of lots of NZ food in supermarkets is awful. Tim Tams for instance (NZs fave biccy) have NINE sad faces out of the chemical maze book with regards to their ingredients. Sooooooooo much food has horrid stuff in it over here. The only crisp without 319 are Kettle crisp..319 is an awful thing with strong links to cancers. By contrast very, very little Uk food has any such shite in it..I checked whilst in the Uk recently for 2 months.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I wondered that too. The price of things and the quality of things back from where we came do bear some relevance to some of us here in NZ as some may (and I am sure some do) return to the UK for better cheaper food and better shopping generally. I warn those coming that the quality of lots of NZ food in supermarkets is awful. Tim Tams for instance (NZs fave biccy) have NINE sad faces out of the chemical maze book with regards to their ingredients. Sooooooooo much food has horrid stuff in it over here. The only crisp without 319 are Kettle crisp..319 is an awful thing with strong links to cancers. By contrast very, very little Uk food has any such shite in it..I checked whilst in the Uk recently for 2 months.
Food quality is something that concerns me too. I like to compare prices of things like books, electrical items, phones etc. with the UK before I go to buy them in NZ, so that I have a price in my mind of what I am willing to pay for an item. If I think the store is being too greedy then I won't buy it & do without.

I always ask for their 'Best Price'. Did this a few months ago at Noel Leeming. We needed a new kettle & the one we decided we wanted was priced at $130 . Across the road in Harvey Norman it was on special at $78 but they didn't have any left. So back to NL we went. Told them that this was the kettle we wanted but it was cheaper across the way. What was their best price? We paid $68 in the end.

I don't tend to check the price of food though unless it's something specific I want.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I find food here far superior to the UK, supermarket meat is a lot better quality very little fat and water added and a lot tastier, fruit and veg is fresher too.
an example is minced beef ordinary standard stuff not the Txxxx'x finest I burnt so many times when I first arrived as there is very little fat compard to UK stuff. Some things are more expensive some are cheap but thats the way of the markets the same goes if you wnet from Uk to Spain, France or Italy. We went a couple of years ago to Italy for hols then later a weekend away in Ireland, Ireleand was considerably more expensive than Italy and Italy was not cheap compared to France .
Petrol here is $2.10 per litre at todays exchange thats 95p a bit different to 1.40 a litre currently in the UK, with the lower speed limit here petrol certainly goes further too!!!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
I find food here far superior to the UK, supermarket meat is a lot better quality very little fat and water added and a lot tastier, fruit and veg is fresher too.
an example is minced beef ordinary standard stuff not the Txxxx'x finest I burnt so many times when I first arrived as there is very little fat compard to UK stuff. Some things are more expensive some are cheap but thats the way of the markets the same goes if you wnet from Uk to Spain, France or Italy. We went a couple of years ago to Italy for hols then later a weekend away in Ireland, Ireleand was considerably more expensive than Italy and Italy was not cheap compared to France .
Petrol here is $2.10 per litre at todays exchange thats 95p a bit different to 1.40 a litre currently in the UK, with the lower speed limit here petrol certainly goes further too!!!!!!
Have a good look at the labels of everything you buy. I am not talking about meat, fruit or veg. Its all the other stuff..most of it is full of crap, whereas in the UK this is not the case.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:30 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Due to global price increases in oil, wheat, coffee beans etc etc the price of every day in the UK such as bread, petrol, cereals etc. are increasing at an alarming rate. Is it the same in NZ or are UK prices catching up with NZ prices?
I have to say lots of items have gone up in NZ. When we arrived back in 2003 we look at the food prices and was shocked to see once we was earning NZ dollar that food was more expensive then the UK, lots of my friends had said the same.

On the Net Only last week some top finance guy had said that in only a few years we will be paying more for food, water,petrol,gas, elec, that the cost of a Mortgage or Rent

What we need is Gst to be taken away from Food
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
Whilst I like the beef sold in NZ & think it's far superior to that sold in the UK, the bacon & chicken are not. The chicken is full of water. Now either it's being added or the meat is being sold very soon after slaughter.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

"Things are going to get much worse..in the wings there awaits a huge issue over GPs in NZ and I have heard thru my wife who is in healthcare that in 10 years NZ will be at crisis point re doctors unless summat drastic is done now. "

Id say that is a little dramatic, the same has been said in the UK in nursing for the last 10 years that they are about to hit crisis point, but if you look at the amount of doctors / nurses qualifying and actually coming into the country it would outweigh the shortages, the figures are normally published and forecasted on the amount of patients vs the amount of staff but if you look at it holistically with a population of under 4m and a total health care work force of 47,000 nurses based on less than 10% of the population would be in hospital that would give a ratio of 1:8 which is actually pretty good
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boggey
i was told as pommes in Nz we all have cheese and wine evenings ,i belived em ,untill they said they sit around eating cheese and wyning about weather, prices of stuff, the pomy bashing they put up with ,lol
More deja moo, that's Kiwi slang for feeling that you've heard this bull before...

You should have known they were telling lies cos we can't afford both cheese and wine in the same week.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
...and found upon my return that at every aisle in my local superette I was being truly shafted....
Well superettes are hardly the cheapest places in NZ to shop eh? Lets face it, corner shops the world over have to charge more because they can´t match the buying power of the supermarkets.

Try to imagine Tesco maintaining a handful of stores, serving a population of 0.75million (say), at a range of 18k miles and see what prices even Tesco would come up with....

Agree with Bevs, a comparison with the UK is meaningless unless you are determined to be unhappy with summat. Move this to the UK forum and have them compare prices in the Outer Hebrides with Tesco in the midlands, the comparison is just as valid and probably more use to someone.....
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
More deja moo, that's Kiwi slang for feeling that you've heard this bull before...

You should have known they were telling lies cos we can't afford both cheese and wine in the same week.
Too true!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Well superettes are hardly the cheapest places in NZ to shop eh? Lets face it, corner shops the world over have to charge more because they can´t match the buying power of the supermarkets.

Try to imagine Tesco maintaining a handful of stores, serving a population of 0.75million (say), at a range of 18k miles and see what prices even Tesco would come up with....

Agree with Bevs, a comparison with the UK is meaningless unless you are determined to be unhappy with summat. Move this to the UK forum and have them compare prices in the Outer Hebrides with Tesco in the midlands, the comparison is just as valid and probably more use to someone.....
I wasn't really asking a question about NZ prices, it was more to do with inflation rates in NZ. I realise the prices of various consumables are more expensive in NZ than in the UK, but costs are increasing quickly in the UK and I wondered if the same applied in NZ? i.e. is the gap in consumable prices between the UK and NZ narrowing or remaining constant? It is not a question about the UK, it is about inflation in NZ!

Sorry for the confusion!!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonsi

I was refering to my local Woolworths, which is a superette in UK terms. I rest my case, don't matter if its pak and save, countdown or woolies..its all a bleeding rip off. Its a duopoly and they have a cartel going betwixt the two I reckon. Nz is a shady little joint full of back stabbing, back scratchers. The general public are stabbed in the back and the big boys..we all know who they are are kindly scratching each other's backs. Banana republic springs to mind..and a backward one too! Rant over.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:53 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't really asking a question about NZ prices, it was more to do with inflation rates in NZ. I realise the prices of various consumables are more expensive in NZ than in the UK, but costs are increasing quickly in the UK and I wondered if the same applied in NZ? i.e. is the gap in consumable prices between the UK and NZ narrowing or remaining constant? It is not a question about the UK, it is about inflation in NZ!

Sorry for the confusion!!
Yep. But I was addressing the point made by Genesis. Hence my quoting his post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.