Prescriptions

Old May 22nd 2006, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Harleychick will become famous soon enoughHarleychick will become famous soon enough
Default Prescriptions

Does anybody know how much one has to pay for prescriptions in NZ
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by Harleychick
Does anybody know how much one has to pay for prescriptions in NZ

hi my pharmacy charges 15 nzd for most prescriptions, the drug prescribing rules are different here.

In NZ the Govt. decide on a number of drugs that will be subsidised, so if you have a fast heart rate there will only be 3 drugs the Govt will subsidise at standard charges. If you need another drug that is not on the list then you may have to pay for it.

i think thats about right, then there are some drugs that havnt been licenced for use in NZ, these are called section 29 drugs, these ones are only prescibed if there is nothing else that can be given, and the patiend needs to be formally consented, bizzarrly vitamin B IV is on this list.

If you have a chronic illness you might be elligible for a high user health card, this will either allow for reduced or no charges, you can also get your doctor to prescibe 3 months worth of tablets in one prescription.

I might be wrong but i dont think children have to pay charges,

hope this answers your question
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by Sugo
hi my pharmacy charges 15 nzd for most prescriptions, the drug prescribing rules are different here.

In NZ the Govt. decide on a number of drugs that will be subsidised, so if you have a fast heart rate there will only be 3 drugs the Govt will subsidise at standard charges. If you need another drug that is not on the list then you may have to pay for it.

i think thats about right, then there are some drugs that havnt been licenced for use in NZ, these are called section 29 drugs, these ones are only prescibed if there is nothing else that can be given, and the patiend needs to be formally consented, bizzarrly vitamin B IV is on this list.

If you have a chronic illness you might be elligible for a high user health card, this will either allow for reduced or no charges, you can also get your doctor to prescibe 3 months worth of tablets in one prescription.

I might be wrong but i dont think children have to pay charges,

hope this answers your question
Its only children under six that get no prescription charges on subsidised meds...children over six usually have some sort of part charge but Drs try to prescribe medication that is govt subsided if at all possible.