Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Practical stuff to take to nz...

Practical stuff to take to nz...

Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice
Default Practical stuff to take to nz...

Well we are in the throws of organising our departure and we were wondering if there are any practical things to buy and take with us??? For example if somethings are not easily available or very expensive.

i.e. garden spike for rotary line etc etc...

Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:24 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical stuff to take to nz...

Originally Posted by trigod View Post
Well we are in the throws of organising our departure and we were wondering if there are any practical things to buy and take with us??? For example if somethings are not easily available or very expensive.

You will need a Leatherman/Swiss Army type knife with assorted attachments including phillips screwdriver and normal screwdriver bits. Absolutely invaluable for assembling all that new stuff you will be buying when you first arrive. Saves having to buy more tools you don't really need once your shipping arrives.
I haven't seen many rotary lines - tends to be more of the extending 5 parallel lines that are prevalent.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karonious View Post
You will need a Leatherman/Swiss Army type knife with assorted attachments including phillips screwdriver and normal screwdriver bits.
agreed.... that thing for taking stones out of horses hooves works equally well for removing pineapple chunks from pizzas (and boy are you gonna need it) ....
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
agreed.... that thing for taking stones out of horses hooves works equally well for removing pineapple chunks from pizzas (and boy are you gonna need it) ....
sorry didnt mean to be flippant - its actually very good advice....
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:08 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
sorry didnt mean to be flippant - its actually very good advice....
I thought it was for taking boy scouts out of horses' hooves!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:27 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Bring flippin' everything you can with you. I mean everything

Love the swiss army knife idea. Wish we had thought of that.

Buy a few cheap plug adaptors. We bought 6 at 30pence a hit. They are easy to fit to the newly unpacked UK appliances & get you up and running in double quick time.

NZ plugs are quite expensive to buy all in one hit. They are also extremely fiddly to fit.
I had to sit and fit the things in the end as husband ran out of patience.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trigod View Post

yes bring a ground spike, i have my rotary line but no ground spike so mine is still in the parasol stand, but one gust of wind & its on the floor quicker than a pair of tarts knickers
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Echo - bring EVERYTHING.

If I was to do it again, I'd send an advance package of basic kitchen items and linen...

Whilst thinking about linen, buy some before you leave. The cheaper end of the market sells see-through duvet covers... bizzare!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:48 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay View Post
Echo - bring EVERYTHING.
. The cheaper end of the market sells see-through duvet covers... bizzare!
We bought one of them! (by accident) I never realised what a linen snob I was till I had to sleep a few nights with it! YUG! Went out and bought some amazing hotel cotton bed linen from the op shop

What to bring - the age old multi socket.
You can get everything really - but there is nothing like opening your boxes when they arrive, it's very comforting to see all the mundane stuff that just means so much, even though you never realised it did.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

May as well stuff some cheap asda duvets into your container whilst you're at it cos there's some really rubbish thin ones here. You can get good quality ones but at a price
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:44 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky View Post
May as well stuff some cheap asda duvets into your container whilst you're at it cos there's some really rubbish thin ones here. You can get good quality ones but at a price
Bring all you have as we did in a 40 ft container ,we have lots which we will use eventually and some we can get rid of on trade me ,we had a large home in the UK and a slightly smaller one here so x/s things will be sold off.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Not what to take---the Mother in Law
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

If you have kids then I suggest you buy all you need for the next size up whilst still in UK. Clothes shopping is more limited here.... way more choice and generally better quality back in the UK. I did a shopping spree at Next for my son before leaving and was glad I did.... bought everything he'd need for the next year.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
If you have kids then I suggest you buy all you need for the next size up whilst still in UK. Clothes shopping is more limited here.... way more choice and generally better quality back in the UK. I did a shopping spree at Next for my son before leaving and was glad I did.... bought everything he'd need for the next year.
& toilet wipes like Kandoo, they do 'andrex' type ones here but nearly $5 a packet & only 40 in there!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Hahaha, we had someone from the UK come stay with us for three weeks and we charged them Kandoo's instead of rent! LOL Thankfully out of that stage now...