British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   PR activation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pr-activation-664740/)

Perry Groves Apr 19th 2010 8:47 pm

PR activation

I have PR approved in principle. I need to send my passports, to get the Blue stickers. Can you someone remind me how much time I have got to activate the permanent residence?

alanmacc Apr 19th 2010 9:33 pm

Re: PR activation

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8508225)
I have PR approved in principle. I need to send my passports, to get the Blue stickers. Can you someone remind me how much time I have got to activate the permanent residence?

Pretty sure someone with PR has 12 months after being granted it to get to NZ to activate it before it becomes invalid

Perry Groves Apr 19th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 8508313)
Pretty sure someone with PR has 12 months after being granted it to get to NZ to activate it before it becomes invalid

thanks Alan, time to get my skates on I think!

Persephone Apr 20th 2010 12:00 am

Yes, 6m to get those stickers in your passport and then 12m after that to enter NZ and activate the visas. You have a 2yr RRV as well which runs from the date of your first residency permit.
Good to see you're giving it a go!

Perry Groves Apr 20th 2010 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8508575)
Yes, 6m to get those stickers in your passport and then 12m after that to enter NZ and activate the visas. You have a 2yr RRV as well which runs from the date of your first residency permit.

Whats a RRV?

Persephone Apr 20th 2010 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8510207)
Whats a RRV?

Returning Resident's Visa:)

sirplug Apr 21st 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8508575)

Actually, the rules are;

12 months from the date of blue stickers in passport to enter NZ
24 months from the date of entry in NZ to actually return and live there (or sooner!)

This was my case and was the info I got from my case officer.

If you haven't sold house / prepared for moving by the time your first 12 months are up, go for a recce. Once you enter NZ in the first 12 months, you then have 2 years to actually sell up / prepare for the move......

Persephone Apr 21st 2010 6:37 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8511181)
Actually, the rules are;

12 months from the date of blue stickers in passport to enter NZ
24 months from the date of entry in NZ to actually return and live there (or sooner!)

This was my case and was the info I got from my case officer.

If you haven't sold house / prepared for moving by the time your first 12 months are up, go for a recce. Once you enter NZ in the first 12 months, you then have 2 years to actually sell up / prepare for the move......

:confused: Errr that is what I wrote or meant. You only get the residence permit when you arrive in NZ and activate the residence visa:)

sirplug Apr 22nd 2010 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8511213)
:confused: Errr that is what I wrote or meant. You only get the residence permit when you arrive in NZ and activate the residence visa:)

Never was any good at reading!:p:D