British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pounds or dollars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pounds-dollars-528384/)

welshwales Apr 10th 2008 5:43 pm

Pounds or dollars

O.k all you people who are sat with nothing to do lets see if you can save me some money.

We are flying over in 9 days (and counting:eek:). We are leaving a lot of our money here at the moment but will be bringing about £8000 over with us.
Do we bring pounds cash which is free, or
Pounds in travelers cheques but there will be a charge from the post office for this. or,
Us dollars in cash as the rate i am told is good at the mo, or
Us dollars travelers cheques which are free from the post office.
Also to consider will probably get charged for changing them over there also.

What do you think:confused::confused:

What did you do:confused::confused:

Karma needed:confused::confused::confused:

happynz Apr 10th 2008 5:49 pm

Re: Pounds or dollars

I'd feel a bit nervous carrying around a roll of cash like that. Traveller cheques should be fine. You can cash them at any bank and you should get a slightly better rate of exchange.

welshwales Apr 10th 2008 5:54 pm

no nerves spent 6 years in the sas. 6ft9 and bullet proof:rofl::rofl::rofl::p
o.k 5ft4 and fat:p:p. see your point, but am i better with ££££ or $$$$$

happynz Apr 10th 2008 5:57 pm

I reckon it's a push. It wouldn't make that much difference.

irnbru14 Apr 10th 2008 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 6189613)
O.k all you people who are sat with nothing to do lets see if you can save me some money.

We are flying over in 9 days (and counting:eek:). We are leaving a lot of our money here at the moment but will be bringing about £8000 over with us.
Do we bring pounds cash which is free, or
Pounds in travelers cheques but there will be a charge from the post office for this. or,
Us dollars in cash as the rate i am told is good at the mo, or
Us dollars travelers cheques which are free from the post office.
Also to consider will probably get charged for changing them over there also.

What do you think:confused::confused:

What did you do:confused::confused:

Karma needed:confused::confused::confused:

Is this you coming over for a look around or permanent move? Who do you bank with? If its just for a look around, get yourself to the nationwide, open an account, dump a big chunk of that cash into it and use that (and posibly a credit card!?!?) as they don't charge you for using ATM's or your visa debit card around the globe :thumbup:

If its proper full time move open an account with a NZ bank, the easiest one in the UK is ASB as they set up a holding account and you only need to send your details to London and its just a transfer fee from one bank to the other in the UK IIRC...

Persephone Apr 10th 2008 7:38 pm

Is this you coming over for a look around or permanent move? Who do you bank with? If its just for a look around, get yourself to the nationwide, open an account, dump a big chunk of that cash into it and use that (and posibly a credit card!?!?) as they don't charge you for using ATM's or your visa debit card around the globe
:thumbsup:

I opened a Nationwide account just for the purpose of travelling, no commission, no fees AND a better exchange rate than my main current account! Worth it if you're only abroad temporarily :D

happynz Apr 10th 2008 8:21 pm

Hi, just walked past the BNZ and Westpac. The rate for pounds was cash-0.4123 and traveller cheques-0.4013

welshwales Apr 10th 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 6189969)
Is this you coming over for a look around or permanent move? Who do you bank with? If its just for a look around, get yourself to the nationwide, open an account, dump a big chunk of that cash into it and use that (and posibly a credit card!?!?) as they don't charge you for using ATM's or your visa debit card around the globe :thumbup:

If its proper full time move open an account with a NZ bank, the easiest one in the UK is ASB as they set up a holding account and you only need to send your details to London and its just a transfer fee from one bank to the other in the UK IIRC...

Its proper full time pr move. i dont want to send all my ££££ yet as the rate is crap so just bringing enough to last a month or two till we get paid.
Havn't opened a nz bank yet was going to wait till we get there and see who charges the most and so on.

irnbru14 Apr 10th 2008 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 6190199)
Its proper full time pr move. i dont want to send all my ££££ yet as the rate is crap so just bringing enough to last a month or two till we get paid.
Havn't opened a nz bank yet was going to wait till we get there and see who charges the most and so on.

Its worth maybe opening a nationwide account in the UK anyway and leaving cash in it, emergency funds, like I said it don't cost you to use your cards from Nationwide around the world :)

I'm with ASB, can't praise them enough, all been so easy and friendly, and like I said you transfer cash to a holding account in the UK and then go into a branch in NZ and it takes 5 mins to activate it!! I've since organised my insurances (car and house) through them and credit card :thumbup: Link here for the migrant banking section.

Just make sure if you are still using a UK account when over here that they are not charging you per transaction, otherwise you may end up spending a fair bit of money every time you use your card, there is where that Nationwide account comes in handy again :)