British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pound's doing well. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pounds-doing-well-670728/)

Genesis Jun 2nd 2010 8:04 am

Pound's doing well.

Its been as high as 2.18 today. Over 1.20 agin the euro!!!

Robbie2010 Jun 2nd 2010 8:10 am

Re: Pound's doing well.

I wouldn't say $2:18 is doing "well" .... but it is an improvement

Once it gets back over $2:75 then I'll say its doing well.

sirplug Jun 2nd 2010 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 8605541)

Once it gets back over $2:75 then I'll say its doing well.

Not in our lifetime!:sneaky:

strawbie Jun 2nd 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8605583)
Not in our lifetime!:sneaky:

You, never know!!! Lets be positive!!! :p

Robbie2010 Jun 2nd 2010 8:51 am

18 months

BEVS Jun 2nd 2010 8:47 pm

Sounds like a bet and a poll

Wooly_Cow Jun 2nd 2010 8:59 pm

Genesis - please, with all due respect .....SHUT UP! Everytime you mention the pound value on a post you jinx it.......it's gone down since you posted ....AGAIN ;)

sirplug Jun 3rd 2010 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8607079)
Genesis - please, with all due respect .....SHUT UP! Everytime you mention the pound value on a post you jinx it.......it's gone down since you posted ....AGAIN ;)

I think it's just found it's new natural level......

Wooly_Cow Jun 3rd 2010 12:41 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8607573)
I think it's just found it's new natural level......

...so you're discounting the Genesis 'Jonah' impact ;)

Genesis Jun 3rd 2010 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8607079)

All received. I'll get my coat.

Justcol Jun 3rd 2010 2:05 am

I dont want it to do well.
I'm now much more interested in how the kiwi does
than the state of the pound.

Genesis Jun 3rd 2010 4:04 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8607722)
I dont want it to do well.

The only reason I have any interest in the GBP is because we have a few quid over there. One assumes you too would have an interest if you has some pounds. Anyways if you are interested in the kiwi you WOULD want it to go down in value as an over inflated currency is no good for any country. Just now its around 25% overvalued. That makes our exports stupidly expensive and is bound to have a negative effect on tourism or how much folk spend when they get here.

But I accept that the ONLY reason I have any interest in the GBP is because of the money we have in the UK. Once it has all gone like you I could not give a monkey's.

sirplug Jun 3rd 2010 5:33 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8607722)

Ditto!

Wooly_Cow Jun 3rd 2010 5:48 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8607985)
Ditto!

Why planning on leaving New Zealand?

A strong currency will make your spending money overseas when you go on holiday go a little further BUT there is no evidence that the higher purchasing power brings down the price of imported goods in New Zealand. Good example is petrol ...anyone seen the price at the pumps go down because of the recent strong dollar...or the cost of imported cars for that matter.

All it will do is make the cost of Kiwi exports more expensive, and make New Zealand less attractive as a tourist destination. As both exported produce and tourism are mainstays of the Kiwi economy a strong dollar will only impact this negatively. In the long term this means jobs.

So apart from saving you a few dollars when you go to Oxford Street shopping or Dinseyland I can’t see the major benefits to anyone having an overly strong currency….and don’t say you can personally import stuff cheaper because anything over $200 will get stung for import duties! So you can’t bring back a suitcase full of cheap US jeans or British Pork Pies.

Sure it makes you feel richer, but unless you up and leave, you’ll never realise that wealth.

Anyone remember what happened to the last remote island with an over inflated currency and relatively high interest rates???

Genesis Jun 3rd 2010 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8608011)
Why planning on leaving New Zealand?

A strong currency will make your spending money overseas when you go on holiday go a little further BUT there is no evidence that the higher purchasing power brings down the price of imported goods in New Zealand. Good example is petrol ...anyone seen the price at the pumps go down because of the recent strong dollar...or the cost of imported cars for that matter.

All it will do is make the cost of Kiwi exports more expensive, and make New Zealand less attractive as a tourist destination. As both exported produce and tourism are mainstays of the Kiwi economy a strong dollar will only impact this negatively. In the long term this means jobs.

So apart from saving you a few dollars when you go to Oxford Street shopping or Dinseyland I can’t see the major benefits to anyone having an overly strong currency….and don’t say you can personally import stuff cheaper because anything over $200 will get stung for import duties! So you can’t bring back a suitcase full of cheap US jeans or British Pork Pies.

Sure it makes you feel richer, but unless you up and leave, you’ll never realise that wealth.

Anyone remember what happened to the last remote island with an over inflated currency and relatively high interest rates???

Well said. My sentiments exactly. I have no idea why some folk think the kiwi being madly overvalued is any good for them (or for the country which is NOT the case), apart from them cashing in all their kiwi $ to leave the country (or to go on a foreign holiday) there is no value in the current situation for NZ with the overvalued kiwi currency. I would be ecstatic about an overvalued kiwi $ from a personal stand point if I was leaving NZ or going on vacation. Just like my current position, I want to pound to gain value to increase the value of the money in GB I eventualy bring to NZ.