Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Potted guide to politics please

Potted guide to politics please

Old May 26th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potted guide to politics please

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Except women in executive positions it seems.
since when has Cook and Concubine not been and executive position
Old May 26th 2014, 9:04 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Potted guide to politics please

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Total opposite for me. I am worried about going back now.
I might opt to become German if they'll have me.

Perhaps I should e-mail them and ask if this option is on the table? It can't hurt to ask can it?
Old May 26th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Labour are Labour and National are Conservative, the Greens are the Lib Dems and Winston is like the Beast of Bolsover but he has his own party. MMP is awful and so is a three year electoral cycle, otherwise it's pretty much the same, no one gets what they voted for but that's democracy!
Yeah, I'd strongly concur re: the 3 year term it's ridiculous. A govt really has got to majorly foul up to have only a single term, so they are virtually guaranteed a 2nd term, so that's 6 years which is too long.

With a 3 year term, virtually nothing seems to happen in the last year. Can't be too many other democracies with 3 year terms.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
National = tories minus policies to help young people get on the property ladder
Labour = labour (welfare,benefits etc)
Greens = libdems & greenz = hopeless
NZ First (winston peters) = only party that seem to care about ordinary kiwis, want tough and fair immigration and do not see how wealthy asians buying lots of auckland properties is a good thing. Also tough on maori (jobs and opportunities not payments). They are very much like UKIP, in touch with the ordinary person
Mana = Respect party,racist against whites and non-maori.

My view is that a combination of National and NZ first is the way to go. National on the economy but WP as the conscience of ordinary Kiwis.
UKIP are not in touch with ordinary people in the UK. Most people who voted for UKIP don't even know their policies (oh that's right they don't actually have any and the few they do have are downright barmy)...they are feeding on scaremongering, media hype and false misrepresentation of immigration.

What the election has told all the parties is that people do want change, but I feel it is more of a protest at the Tories who certainly cannot relate nor look out for the ordinary person.

Sorry back to OP!
Old May 27th 2014, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should e-mail them and ask if this option is on the table? It can't hurt to ask can it?
sehr gut!
Old May 27th 2014, 9:47 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
National = tories minus policies to help young people get on the property ladder
Labour = labour (welfare,benefits etc)
Greens = libdems & greenz = hopeless
NZ First (winston peters) = only party that seem to care about ordinary kiwis, want tough and fair immigration and do not see how wealthy asians buying lots of auckland properties is a good thing. Also tough on maori (jobs and opportunities not payments). They are very much like UKIP, in touch with the ordinary person
Mana = Respect party,racist against whites and non-maori.

My view is that a combination of National and NZ first is the way to go. National on the economy but WP as the conscience of ordinary Kiwis.
Originally Posted by dannigirl
UKIP are not in touch with ordinary people in the UK.
By "ordinary Kiwis", I think Davros means "your average xenophobe": Winston Peters is NZ's answer to Pauline Hanson.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
UKIP are not in touch with ordinary people in the UK. Most people who voted for UKIP don't even know their policies (oh that's right they don't actually have any and the few they do have are downright barmy)...they are feeding on scaremongering, media hype and false misrepresentation of immigration.

What the election has told all the parties is that people do want change, but I feel it is more of a protest at the Tories who certainly cannot relate nor look out for the ordinary person.

Sorry back to OP!
I don't think a vote for UKIP is a protest at the Tories at all, a vote for UKIP was always a protest at the EU, and it seems quite a loud protest this time! Good!
Old May 27th 2014, 3:26 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

sehr gut!

Originally Posted by LetterToGermany
Dear Sir or Madam,

I realise you may feel the following is light hearted may not warrant further communication but I’m enquiring on behalf of myself and others about political events unfolding in the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (GB).

We are presently expatriate citizens of GB who have immigrated to New Zealand for lifestyle, political and economic reasons yet retain GB citizenship. Although we live almost as far from the GB as geographical constraints will allow we still think ourselves European in ancestry, custom, culture etc. Perhaps more European than British in fact.

However we realise that among many of our backwards looking, xenophobic, parochial fellow countrymen an anti-European Union (EU) fervour is taking hold. I have it on good authority from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) that significant political advances have been made by parties purporting to be anti-EU (and, depending on which party member is interviewed, they may also be bigots and/or racists). Exactly how they intend to achieve this is very hazy, a deliberate tactic we suspect, as best we can understand most have as near as makes no difference no substantial understanding of economics, law, international politics etc. I digress from my original point.

We fear the UK will leave the EU and lose the rights currently enjoyed by those of us with GB passports enjoy when living and working in the EU (or Schengen area to be more exact). We think the Federal Republic of Germany (Germany) the political nexus and economic engine house of the EU presently and, if pushed by political circumstance, would sooner continue to enjoy being part of the EU than not.

So may we become German citizens in such an event? Most of us already have some familiarity with German language, culture, politics etc. and many of us perform some valuable economic activity. We would expect strict criteria such as advancing our language skills to a Goethe Institut level C1 or C2, taking on foreign tax compliances as an ordinary German citizen living abroad would.

We thank you for your time in considering this request.

-David C.
Originally Posted by GermanySaid
Your mail was sent successfully.
Lets see what Germany says!
Old May 27th 2014, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind having that option.

Look forward to the reply!
Old May 27th 2014, 3:54 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind having that option.

Look forward to the reply!
As I said previously if painted into a corner I feel more European than British. Also no one will want to live in the UK if it leaves the EU presently anyway, if only for economic reasons .

It's a win-win scenario.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Alles gute, Herr David; you can't go wrong they have great beer and sausages.

Die besten Wünsche für die Zukunft!
Old May 28th 2014, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief what a mess! Makes voting flipping impossible reading all your responses!
Old May 28th 2014, 9:38 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Good grief what a mess! Makes voting flipping impossible reading all your responses!
Exactly, the only solution is that I become King of New Zealand in a sort of personality cult akin to North Korea. This will free you from needing to worry about voting and instead concentrate on all the free ice cream.
Old May 28th 2014, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, the only solution is that I become King of New Zealand in a sort of personality cult akin to North Korea. This will free you from needing to worry about voting and instead concentrate on all the free ice cream.
I know just the man to help: His_Bishship@Density Church.co.nz

As a part of the protocols and requirements document, there is a section called "Conduct Towards Bishop". It includes details about how to properly interact with Tamaki, such as always being respectful and never being "in his face." Other instructions include stopping talking when Tamaki speaks, never disagreeing with him in front of others and standing when he and his wife enter a room and seating only after they have seated.
Old May 29th 2014, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot believe the nonsense on this thread,especially the letter to Germany, oh welL.

Forget specific policies or any left or right leaning preference. The reason UKIP appeals is that their first and simple principle is for UK governments to have the freedom to govern the country and have the ability to address issues that are of concern to the public. That is what its all about. The liberals and labour party seem completely opposed to that principal, hence the use of the term liberal fascists.

I do not belive I am a xenophobe, I simply believe in the above principal and the right of self-determination via democracy. Having lived in NZ, it seems bonkers that the UK does not have that.

Those who think WP is a racist or xenophobe really have their heads in the sand. He wants NZ'ers to have a fair crack, young kiwi's and families are priced out in Auckland. National's ideas and Labours ideas are making it harder and harder for average kiwi's to live a simple life, i.e. affordable housing, being able to bring up kids in a simple environment. I left Auckland (and NZ) for that reason (as well as other reasons).

Its a pity that so many,particularly those are well off are so removed from those working class individuals who are really struggling. That is what WP represents. How is it good for NZ to let wealthy chinese buy up the best NZ farms? The lost revenue from asset sales, how will that income be replaced in years to come? What are the government doing to make housing more affordable for the young? Nothing! Instead they allow non-nz residents to buy up all the houses in Auckland they want. Disgusting.

Last edited by davros1984; May 29th 2014 at 9:26 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.