British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Potential move to New Plymouth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/potential-move-new-plymouth-891042/)

enewman Feb 2nd 2017 6:47 pm

Potential move to New Plymouth

Hi there,
My husband is in the process of being recruited for a job in New Plymouth. He has been offered a salary of $75/80K and we were wondering if that was enough for a family of three to live on? We lead a pretty simple lifestyle. We don't go out for meals very often and aren't bothered about Sky TV or anything like that. But it's quite a pay drop for us and although NZ can offer us a great lifestyle, we don't understandably want to be struggling money wise. It would be really helpful to hear from people that are already living in New Zealand. Thank you.

Genesis Feb 2nd 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Potential move to New Plymouth

Originally Posted by enewman (Post 12169313)
Hi there,
My husband is in the process of being recruited for a job in New Plymouth. He has been offered a salary of $75/80K and we were wondering if that was enough for a family of three to live on? We lead a pretty simple lifestyle. We don't go out for meals very often and aren't bothered about Sky TV or anything like that. But it's quite a pay drop for us and although NZ can offer us a great lifestyle, we don't understandably want to be struggling money wise. It would be really helpful to hear from people that are already living in New Zealand. Thank you.

Hi, will you have much of a mortgage? Like most folk that is the biggest monthly bill. Have a look on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me re house prices/rentals. Everything else for that matter is on the site!!

Google 'NZ tax rates'. You can very quickly work out exactly how much you will take home each month. There is no 'tax free break' in NZ for the 1st part of your earnings. You are taxed on the very 1st dollar. You can just work out the tax from each band and remove that from the gross pay and you will have your net take home pay, give or take a few bucks.

Also search 'monthly expenses in NZ' on this site. T'will give you an idea about what to expect. Never been to the town but have only ever heard good things about it. Skiiing and the beach all on your doorstep? What's not to love!!?? NZ is an amazing place, even a better place for a youngster to be raised. Good luck.

enewman Feb 2nd 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks Genesis, that's much appreciated. I'll do just that. Thank you.

Genesis Feb 2nd 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by enewman (Post 12169331)
Thanks Genesis, that's much appreciated. I'll do just that. Thank you.

My pleasure. Please ask away if you have any more questions, or PM me if you like. Have been here for almost 12 years now. Whilst NZ has a raft of issues (just like anywhere), I think it is a truly wonderful country to live in, if only for its unpopulous nature. Are you okay with giving up friends and relatives? You will obviously forge a new life here, but the old chesnut of being SO far from kith and kin is one of the biggest things for folk to get their heads round. Its all about pros and cons eh? What will we gain V what will we lose. The trick is that the 1st list HAS to be considerably longer eh?:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Feb 3rd 2017 7:59 am

So another for New Plymouth, seems to be growing leaps and bounds.

garethwm Feb 3rd 2017 5:25 pm

Was in NP for a few days last year. Was quite impressed. Nice place.

valleygurl Feb 4th 2017 8:00 pm

Hi we are in NP and you'll be fine on that wage dependant on mortgage repayments! We pay 400 a week and manage just fine I got a part time job which pays the mortgage so everything else comes out of what he earns! we don't have sky tv, have takeaway once a month. NP is awesome plenty of free things to do that don't cost the earth if anything at all!

Bumptious Feb 4th 2017 9:36 pm

New Plymouth is a lovely place. Only been there on holiday though, but pleasantly surprised the 3 times or so I was there. Very green, very lush and you have that fabulous mountain. Egmont whoops Mt Taranaki!

valleygurl Feb 7th 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by valleygurl (Post 12171069)
Hi we are in NP and you'll be fine on that wage dependant on mortgage repayments! We pay 400 a week and manage just fine I got a part time job which pays the mortgage so everything else comes out of what he earns! we don't have sky tv, have takeaway once a month. NP is awesome plenty of free things to do that don't cost the earth if anything at all!

If you need to know anything about new plymouth just let me know happy to help with anything x

valleygurl Feb 23rd 2017 7:32 am

Originally Posted by enewman (Post 12169313)
Hi there,

What career is your husband in? What company is he planning on working for?

CarolineSwan Mar 27th 2017 3:50 am

I'm sure you would be fine with that.

I have lived in Inglewood just south of new plymouth for 8 years. I love the place, Inglewood has an amazing community and the benefit of only being 12 minutes from new plymouth if needed.

Seriously Taranaki is an awesome place. I still get excited every time I arrive back here.

All the best with your decision.

BEVS Mar 27th 2017 5:37 am

Originally Posted by CarolineSwan (Post 12213837)
I'm sure you would be fine with that.

I have lived in Inglewood just south of new plymouth for 8 years. I love the place, Inglewood has an amazing community and the benefit of only being 12 minutes from new plymouth if needed.

Seriously Taranaki is an awesome place. I still get excited every time I arrive back here.

All the best with your decision.

That's a lovely uplifting post.
Welcome back. :)