British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   For the potential migrants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/potential-migrants-464162/)

mingusdynasty Jul 6th 2007 8:33 pm

For the potential migrants

I thought it might be a good idea (maybe not) to give a brief rundown of your week here in NZ or even your weekend. This will give them an idea maybe of what to expect in terms of lifestyle? You first :)

happynz Jul 6th 2007 8:38 pm

Re: For the potential migrants

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty (Post 5019684)
I thought it might be a good idea (maybe not) to give a brief rundown of your week here in NZ or even your weekend. This will give them an idea maybe of what to expect in terms of lifestyle? You first :)

It sounds like a good idea at first. However, it will likely end up being a slanging match.

planty Jul 6th 2007 8:52 pm

Ok, I don't mind giving it a go.

Yesterday we had sleety snow all day so that made it cold, so we loaded up the log burner and watched movies and played games on the computer.

This morning I'll be taking my daughter swimming and because she is under 5 it will cost $1.50 for both of us.
Later today and tomorrow I'm hoping to get out on my mountain bike as I'm considering entering the Caveman mountain bike challenge in August, 26km all off road. I've never entered any bike race before so I'm in need of a bit of training.
Other than that it'll be entertaining the kids, making home made pizza for tea and most importantly, keeping warm.:)

Have a good week end everyone

P2L Jul 6th 2007 8:59 pm

We were gonna go to Rainbow Ski fields, but have just discovered that we can't fit chains to our 4x4 :(

So thinking of alternatives :confused:

UKNZAUS Jul 6th 2007 9:21 pm

I'm going to meet an Expat in the flesh tomorrow and deliver to her the Toffee Crisps I smuggled in! She better had save some of those McVities Choccie Digestives too for that! :rofl::wub:

Today, I dunno yet, might head down to Takapuna as I've been told there's a market of some sorts ?!

pangor Jul 6th 2007 9:28 pm

My week ? - get up, feed cats, have breakfast, go to work, come home, feed cats, have tea, talk to children, watch telly, go to bed, get up, feed cats, have breakfast, go to work, . .. .. .

but seriously your life is going to be pretty much the same as the uk but hopefully a bit better. Probably poorer financially but more enjoyable, it all depends on why you emigrate, what you are trying to change about your life and your expectations of NZ

peter

TeamEmbo Jul 6th 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5019788)
We were gonna go to Rainbow Ski fields, but have just discovered that we can't fit chains to our 4x4 :(

Yeah, we were gona hit the snowfields too; we've got chains, but no 4x4!!:rofl::rofl:

mingusdynasty Jul 6th 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by pangor (Post 5019868)
My week ? - get up, feed cats, have breakfast, go to work, come home, feed cats, have tea, talk to children, watch telly, go to bed, get up, feed cats, have breakfast, go to work, . .. .. .

but seriously your life is going to be pretty much the same as the uk but hopefully a bit better. Probably poorer financially but more enjoyable, it all depends on why you emigrate, what you are trying to change about your life and your expectations of NZ

peter

sounds all too familiar

Apple13 Jul 6th 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by pangor (Post 5019868)

peter

But what do you do at the weekend?
Most people have this kind of a life deuring the working week whereever they live, but it is what you do at the weekend that shows your lifestyle.

pangor Jul 6th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Apple13 (Post 5020012)
But what do you do at the weekend?
Most people have this kind of a life deuring the working week whereever they live, but it is what you do at the weekend that shows your lifestyle.

I think I was just giving a warning to potential migrants - you do this big migration thing move to the other side of the world it is all wonderfull and exciting and new and then . . .. you find yourself going to work everyday just the same as before. I got quite depressed over this a few months in myself but I suppose it is just like coming back to real life after a holiday. Mind you I can get depressed coming out of the cinema !

This weekend ? rainy today so probably we will all sit around the house rather sloth like, although I see there is a craft fair in hastings today and I do need to get several prezzies to send back hmmm . Tomorrow looks better, and our youngest is missing the snow so we thought we might head up the Napier Taupo road in search of some, followed swiftly by the nearest cafe and hot chocolate I should think. Skiing planned for later in August and I have never skiied before so should be fun.

peter

Joshlin Jul 7th 2007 12:09 am

school holidays here so last week has been a bit out of the norm:
had son's friend round for day monday - went to indoor play area, picked daughter up from daycare and then went to the park
worked tues am, daughter in day care, son at friends house - they went to science alive (indoor discovery type place)
day at home for mum and son on wed - we built a cardboard town - looks better than it sounds, daughter at day care - sounds mean but they do a funtime fortnight whilst the holidays are on so she's having fun too (plus I'd have to pay even if she wasn't there!!)
thursday started out as a pj day for all - son's friend came round (a different one to the other 2! - never had such an active social circle) - house wrecked but they had fun.
friday, daughter back into day care, went to work first thing, wood delivered for log burner - took couple of hours to stack it into the wood shed - still good exercise!
friend's birthday party today so off to the roxx - an indoor rock climbing centre, should be cool
tomorrow - local toy store has mammoth toy sale so gonna go and stock up for xmas
Differences:
much wider circle of friends, many developed over the last 6 months!
accessing wider range of activities - much less likely to just sit and veg
need to think ahead and take advantage of sales given tighter budget
taking wood deliveries and mastering the art of logburners - house is cosy++
flexible working for me - I decide when I work, work availability dependent, enables me to have a much better work/life balance which was one of our key reasons for coming

sorry, waffled a bit!
Vicki

BEVS Jul 7th 2007 1:35 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5019788)

:( bugger !

We are thinking of going up tomoz but it might be next weekend now.

We don't take our little 4x4 right up to the skifield. We leave it at the bottom and take the shuttle bus up. It leaves every half hour.

BEVS Jul 7th 2007 1:54 am

Le weekend .

Sunny day with a nip in the air.

We drove up to a friends house on the Moutere hills which we are looking after whilst they are away. As you drive up you get this panorama of the snow capped ranges. Checked out the horses, broke the ice on their water trough and then sat on the house deck for a while admiring their view which looks out to the sea. They have several acres and we wondered about an olive grove , ducks, alpacas and the like. It'll be interesting to see how they develop the land. Waved at the distant neighbours and walked down to where the trees are to see if next doors pig was about.

Came back to the house & had a late breakfast out on the deck. Our deck is at the back of the house and we have a view across the village towards Ruby Bay. Just glimmers of the sea in the distance.

Phil chopped wood and I cleaned out me two remaining ducks. Phil then got his kit ready and has trundled off to play footie for our village team down in Nelson. I was going to go and watch but I elected to start pruning our fruit trees instead.

Came up here to check email and take a look at this board. I can sit here and look out the window to those snowy mountains which are crystal clear today.

Later , I'm wandering down to our village inn and meet up with the team and their wives/partners to check out how the game went. I'll set the fire before I go .

Tomorrow we were thinking of going up to Rainbow . Maybe will, maybe won't. If not, we'll make a start on that compost bin and tat around the garden. If we get fed up with that we can always take ourselves for a walk on the beach or go visit friends.

Woodlea Jul 8th 2007 3:16 am

Our weekend:

Took the kids and granny to Akaroa yesterday, stopped at the cheese factory at Barry's Bay (YUM), lunch in Akaroa, took the summit road back to Duvauchelle, loads of snow - kids threw snowballs, awesome views. Back through Little River (didn't see the band!) Went over Gebbies Pass to Governor's Bay, son sick in Rapaki cos of all the windy roads! Walked on the beach and climbed the rock on Sumner Beach - wonderful day.

Went on the Weka Valley Railway today, excellent, beautiful views on a bright cloudless day. Walked at Tiromoana, the most beautiful place I've been to yet in NZ. Got home, washed car as there was still some cheese and ham panini from yesterday on it!!

NZ is just so gorgeous.

dazal Jul 8th 2007 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5019857)
I'm going to meet an Expat in the flesh tomorrow and deliver to her the Toffee Crisps I smuggled in! She better had save some of those McVities Choccie Digestives too for that! :rofl::wub:

Today, I dunno yet, might head down to Takapuna as I've been told there's a market of some sorts ?!

Oops sorry Michelle- they got eaten before you got here!!! I was hoping you might forget bout those with the very tempting Anzac biscuits :rofl:

We might be in Sylvia Park again later this week and if we are will get you your very own packet of bikkies.

Thanks for the toffee crisps though, they will not last long that is for sure. Lovely to meet you all and hopefully see you soon.

:)