Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

For the potential migrants

For the potential migrants

Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Re: For the potential migrants

Dis the Rainbow ski fields this week FAB!!!!

Sara you dont need chains for a small fee the bus will take you up from the lower car park.Costs $40 for family of 4 and my 2 had a full day ski/board with 1 and 1/2 hour instruction all passes and gear cost $62 for the day!!!!

Today we have been to the Waihopa valley to a Kiwi pals farm for a BBQ!!!!
Sun shinning over vines with backdrop of snow tipped mountains lovely wine, food and company. We didnt go to many mid winter BBQs in the Uk and the scenery this afternoon could not be beaten.

We do far more on our weekends here I am ready to go back to work tomorrow for a rest!!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
Oops sorry Michelle- they got eaten before you got here!!! I was hoping you might forget bout those with the very tempting Anzac biscuits. We might be in Sylvia Park again later this week and if we are will get you your very own packet of bikkies. Thanks for the toffee crisps though, they will not last long that is for sure. Lovely to meet you all and hopefully see you soon
Hey hun! The biccies were lovely - hope you've recovered after my 2 whirlwinds today, so sorry again! I'll repay you with an extra long bounce on the bouncy castle I got one sorted this afternoon, now just to get permission from owners to have it on the front lawn that party shop was closed too, never mind I'll pop back! I'm off to Sylvia Park this week at some point, you've intrigued me now - must go and 'browse'

Will see you again soon hopefully x

Michelle x
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pangor
I think I was just giving a warning to potential migrants - you do this big migration thing move to the other side of the world it is all wonderfull and exciting and new and then . . .. you find yourself going to work everyday just the same as before. I got quite depressed over this a few months in myself but I suppose it is just like coming back to real life after a holiday. Mind you I can get depressed coming out of the cinema !

This weekend ? rainy today so probably we will all sit around the house rather sloth like, although I see there is a craft fair in hastings today and I do need to get several prezzies to send back hmmm . Tomorrow looks better, and our youngest is missing the snow so we thought we might head up the Napier Taupo road in search of some, followed swiftly by the nearest cafe and hot chocolate I should think. Skiing planned for later in August and I have never skiied before so should be fun.

peter
well we did not get to the snow but did have a great trip trying - here is what I wrote on my blog about it.

Sunday 7.30pm

In search of snow

Our youngest, the seven year old, has been missing snow since we left Northumberland, and Nicola and I have had an urge to visit some mountains lately, so today off we went. In true explorer style, after gazing blankly at a roadmap we went out the front door, got in the car, drove to the end of the road, had a look at where the mountains had snow on, and drove in that direction. Stopped at New World supermarket for emergency rations - crisps, cheese, chocolate and coke then off again. Three quarters of an hour later and we are close. The road is now just gravel and scarily narrow, and we have not seen another car for ages. We stop, Nicola wants to take another picture. I get out of the car and in spite of my youngest indulging in his latest hobby - shouting at sheep, what strikes me is the silence. Yes, there are the birds and a light wind but no cars, no music, no people. We are close, I can smell it, feel it on the air, this is where I need to be just now. We continue. Through gates and a field of sheep and just as the road becomes a mere scrape in the ground it ends in a small group of parked cars. The forest trails begin here and we must walk. Mind you we might as well have been wearing miniskirts and red stillettos, such was the appropriateness of our clothing compared with the trampers coming towards us. But they are very friendly, this is New Zealand after all, saying hello and yes it is only ten minutes to the first hut so we go that far. There is no snow, we are still too low, but it is all worth it. I love the quiet places, in the countryside, and in my mind, and here both come together. I have arrived.

Sometimes everything just comes together just right.

peter - have a good Sunday/Monday wherever you are.

another beautiful photo by Nicola - Ruahine forest

Last edited by pangor; Jul 8th 2007 at 10:51 am. Reason: just fiddling