Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors

Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors

Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors

Originally Posted by Tray
& lots of people have lost there playground for the summer not to mention some their livelihoods
...what utter rubbish[/
There ya go, now we're getting to the crux of the matter, some lazy arse might have to
drive an extra 15 minutes to get to the beach for a few months.
I cant believe how much crap the media are making of all this and everyone lapping it up.
Exactly who's livelihood has been lost???

In the grand scheme of things this is NOTHING but a minor inconvenience.
There's more pollution flowing into the sea from the shit all the farmers allow to
spill into the inland waterways and rivers but you cant see that so no ones
particularly bothered and god forbid some one might actually do something that
might piss off the mighty dairy industry....its the best in the world doncha know!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors

Originally Posted by Tray
& lots of people have lost there playground for the summer not to mention some their livelihoods
...what utter rubbish[/
There ya go, now we're getting to the crux of the matter, some lazy arse might have to
I cant believe how much crap the media are making of all this and everyone lapping it up.
exactly who's livelihood has been lost???

There's more pollution flowing into the sea from the shit all the farmers allow to
might piss off the mighty dairy industry....its the best in the world doncha know!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody died, however I think that the continued wallowing in 'grief' and 'disaster' is a desirable outcome from the point of view of the media. This is but a little blip really in the grander scheme and I think all the talk of 'disaster' is being mightily overplayed. It can and will be fixed in due course.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised that you can't understand how incredibly upsetting it is to we who live here to witness such decimation of our environment. We had the most beautiful, pristine stretch of something like 26km of white/golden sand and azure ocean. Now we have this.

Black water, black sand, dead birds, dead seals, dead penguins. Never mind the consequences occurring on the reef and in the water for the marine life.

I've seen grown men crying just staring at the mess. The smell is overpowering. People are desperate to help but are told to stay off the beach. The army and response units spend all day cleaning up only for it to be even worse the next morning.

Yes the area will recover and yes we will have our beautiful beach back, at some point in the future. Yes we are allowed to be upset and angry. Yes people are already losing income from this and this will continue to spread.You can argue it's nothing compared to what the people of ChCh have suffered or the Japanese tsunami, no one is saying it is, but it's our little tragedy in our little backyard.

I am no expert on anything. I don't know all the facts and reasons behind why and how this happened and why the delay in attending to it. But I live here and I am an avid user of the beach and I am deeply saddened for everyone here. So argue the toss among yourselves if you must, but spare a thought for those of us that it does effect.
Attached Thumbnails Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors-dsc00165.jpg   Potential Environmental Disaster for the BoP - Bloody foreign sailors-beach.jpg  

Last edited by Am Loolah; Oct 13th 2011 at 5:56 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:53 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I read there are differences in law in the UK and New Zealand regarding stuff washed up on beaches?
Lots of differences, no Receiver of Wreck etc but the key part about ownership is the same. Good job otherwise the owners of the ship now wouldn't be and so wouldn't be liable for cleaning up oil that wouldn't be theirs??? See, can't work like that.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Justcol
Give it two or three months and you wont know anythings happened.
Lots of crap and panic around at the moment and lots of people
trying to make out its going to be worst than it is.
Its a bit of fuel oil that will all be cleaned up, you might miss a seasons
breading for the fish but not much more.

Gawd I'm sick of all this crap already, suddenly everyone's a pseudo envirnmentalist
when all they really want to do is go and nosey at the shit on the beach and poke the dead
birds with sticks. Once the kiddies can go back on the beach everyone will be happy again

So the entire nation has to leave its mineral resources untouched because a dopey sailor
hit a reef, or because it might spoil a view that no one gets to see anyway....what utter rubbish
wow someone really needs to try meditation don't they? I agree with what you're saying about other contaminants in the water from farmland etc. but I really think it's quite irresponsible of you to say "Its a bit of fuel oil that will all be cleaned up, you might miss a seasons breading for the fish but not much more"...

since when did you become an eco-toxicology expert?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm surprised that you can't understand how incredibly upsetting it is to we who live here to witness such decimation of our environment. We had the most beautiful, pristine stretch of something like 26km of white/golden sand and azure ocean. Now we have this.

Black water, black sand, dead birds, dead seals, dead penguins. Never mind the consequences occurring on the reef and in the water for the marine life.

I've seen grown men crying just staring at the mess. The smell is overpowering. People are desperate to help but are told to stay off the beach. The army and response units spend all day cleaning up only for it to be even worse the next morning.

Yes the area will recover and yes we will have our beautiful beach back, at some point in the future. Yes we are allowed to be upset and angry. Yes people are already losing income from this and this will continue to spread.You can argue it's nothing compared to what the people of ChCh have suffered or the Japanese tsunami, no one is saying it is, but it's our little tragedy in our little backyard.

I am no expert on anything. I don't know all the facts and reasons behind why and how this happened and why the delay in attending to it. But I live here and I am an avid user of the beach and I am deeply saddened for everyone here. So argue the toss among yourselves if you must, but spare a thought for those of us that it does effect.

Hi Am Loolah :0) Just want to say that we are thinking of ALL of you up there. We have friends with a yacht charter business and they (and others that depend on the ocean for their livelihood) face a very tough time ahead.

Please also spare a thought for those families (like many of us) who are in the process of emigrating here and whose lifetime's possessions may now be lost at sea.

This is apart from all of the environmental damage. There are so many implications from this disaster. And believe me, it really IS a disaster.

Regards,
Mrs Carpman xxx
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who say it's not so bad - how would you feel if someone came and dumped a truckload of crap, dead animals, plastic, food etc on the street outside your house? Then did it every day for weeks.

I really feel for you guys up there - it's so frustrating that the actions of a few careless idiots can cause such a colossal mess.

As I always say - you can't have anything nice without some moron f___ing it up for you.

We'll be up there for 2 days next week. We even paid a little extra on the hotel room for a sea view
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elasmo1
wow someone really needs to try meditation don't they? I agree with what you're saying about other contaminants in the water from farmland etc. but I really think it's quite irresponsible of you to say "Its a bit of fuel oil that will all be cleaned up, you might miss a seasons breading for the fish but not much more"...

since when did you become an eco-toxicology expert?
Totally agree with you. This is a major, major issue and it won't go away quickly or without medium term (time wise) damage of a severe nature. I also think as an aside that National are going to do very, very badly out of this on the election front. Some poor ex Chch family have their 20ft container on that pile of shit for a new life in Brisbane after opting to escape the earthquake stricken region.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
For those of you who say it's not so bad - how would you feel if someone came and dumped a truckload of crap, dead animals, plastic, food etc on the street outside your house? Then did it every day for weeks.

I really feel for you guys up there - it's so frustrating that the actions of a few careless idiots can cause such a colossal mess.

As I always say - you can't have anything nice without some moron f___ing it up for you.

We'll be up there for 2 days next week. We even paid a little extra on the hotel room for a sea view
Yeah I can imagine Justcol looking out from his little deck onto the sea and thinking 'no probs here, just a few thousand dead marine animals, 400 tonnes of stinking bunker fuel and 80 odd containers plus their loads..no big issue eh? She'll be right'.

Its very easy (and highly irritating) for people like him who are not going through the nightmare to be so dismissive. Lets hope his perfect view remains pristine eh?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Nobody died, however I think that the continued wallowing in 'grief' and 'disaster' is a desirable outcome from the point of view of the media. This is but a little blip really in the grander scheme and I think all the talk of 'disaster' is being mightily overplayed. It can and will be fixed in due course.
Again totally disagree. To have this on your doorstep would be a disaster. I am upset and it is no where near me. It is a disaster for every one of those poor animals killed. It is a diasster for those living on the island close by..it is a disaster for all those directly affected by this maritime horror. Think about 400 tonnes of smelly fuel on your doorstep..its a disaster. And it is a disaster that won't go away quickly. Many will lose their jobs over this many will have the quality of their lives ruined for some time to come.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
Exactly who's livelihood has been lost???

God, is wish it was on your door step. Your 'I'm alright attitude' beggars belief!! You are all heart eh?? May I suggest you roll up to the area Col and suggest to those affected 'it's but a minor inconvenience' and see how you get on??? What a stupid/heartless thing to say. Any way I trust you are all dandy, oil free and your business is doing well?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

For the knitters out there. Poor little things

http://felt.co.nz/blog/2011/10/knitt...ena-oil-spill/

Mrs Carpman
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:43 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not just knit some penguins and seals to fool tourists? You know make a seal colony and only allow people to peak over rocks at them from afar and say they are lying still to sun themselves.

Should have put an oil barrier up around it to stop the oil from dispersing into the sea .
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:44 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Should have put an oil barrier up around it to stop the oil from dispersing into the sea .
Design it. Build it. You'll make a fortune. My daughter works in the oil spill clean up industry. In 56m of water and rough breaking seas onto a reef type conditions such barriers don't exist.

You can practice at Muriwai. If you can keep a barrier in position without using the sea bed (i.e. in 56m of water), around the Muriwai rocks on a typical day there you will have cracked it. Hope that helps you visualize what is needed.

What is more if you put out the barriers that do exist they would get smashed/punctured in rough weather. Then you don't have them when the weather IS suitable.

Its not easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.