Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

pot plants, furniture storage etc

pot plants, furniture storage etc

Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice
Question pot plants, furniture storage etc

hello all,

when we move i really want to bring the 2 peace lillies i inherited when my nan died. they are the only plants i have not managed to kill.
is it ok to bring such stuff or not, and how do we get them here, 6 weeks on a container and they will surely die off.

what type of food can we bring, and can all this stuff go in the container with the furniture as long as it is boxed.

what do you do with your goods once they arrive if you are renting furnished accom for a while.
is storage really expensive?

what did all of you do?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:26 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pot plants, furniture storage etc

Originally Posted by tkirya View Post
hello all,

when we move i really want to bring the 2 peace lillies i inherited when my nan died. they are the only plants i have not managed to kill.
is it ok to bring such stuff or not, and how do we get them here, 6 weeks on a container and they will surely die off.

what type of food can we bring, and can all this stuff go in the container with the furniture as long as it is boxed.

what do you do with your goods once they arrive if you are renting furnished accom for a while.

what did all of you do?
Sorry but you won't be able to bring your plants with you due to the risk of bringing some nasty into NZ on them. We take our border control & protection of native flora & fauna seriously.

Didn't bring any food over so I can't help with that
Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No plants will ever get through maff, they wont let them in at all
and you run the risk of a hefty fine for even trying.
Food is not recomended, you can buy all sorts off uk food over here.
again i wouldnt recomend bringing in a container.
The container will be sudjuected to some pretty extreme tempertiture as it
winds its way down here, the inside temps and get very hot as they are metal
and exposed to direct sunlight for most of the journey.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:10 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

The plants will never get through, sorry not what you want to hear.

We bought over in our container 5 x 1kg jars of marmite yep you can buy it here but only tiny jars which would last us a week and are twice the price. We declared them on our paperwork but MAF were not interested in them. We also bought over alcohol which we had to itemise, again we declared and had no problem with.

We timed our arrival so we could secure a long term rental before our container arrived.
Once our house was packed up we had 10 days at my parents before we left the UK. We then had 3 weeks with OH parents in Nelson. We then had a holiday rental to go to which we had booked from the UK for one month (very well equipped ) This was in the area we wanted to settle, this gave us time to look around for a more long term rental. There was a slight overlap by 6 days of our container arriving and us still having time on holiday rental but such is life. The owner of the holiday rental asked us if we could move out a couple of day earlier since we had our rental sorted so she could have longer to get the place ready for next tenants. Suited us as well so she gave us a refund on the power bill to balance out what we had paid in rent.

Our shipping company told us the container would take about 8-10 weeks so we planned around this. We did get a date from them when the container was arriving in port just before we left.
If you can avoid putting your things in storage do try to as they charge quite a steep one off handling fee for having to unload your container.

Good luck with your move.

Dewb
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:56 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

hello all,

what did all of you do?
I have some turf from the Millenium Stadium from when Wales won their last Grand Slam but after much investigation.......No Go....
Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

hello all,

what did all of you do?
Could you take some really nice photos of them and have them framed as a keepsake?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:44 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN View Post
Could you take some really nice photos of them and have them framed as a keepsake?
Mine would be just green........
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
Mine would be just green........
I meant the plants, not the turf
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:22 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
I have some turf from the Millenium Stadium from when Wales won their last Grand Slam but after much investigation.......No Go....
That reminds me, my OH did bring in a very small piece of turf from the Maine Road ground. We never declared it because we had forgotten about it... oops!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice

thanks guys,
i didnt think i would be able to bring the plants.
shame really, but i will take some photos as suggested, clever idea,
marmite, i will def bring, large jars as well. love the stuff, but hubby hates it, isnt it funny how opposites attract,

xx
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I have an umbrella tree that I've had for 23 years, but I'm giving it to my friend who I know will look after it.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer View Post
I have an umbrella tree that I've had for 23 years, but I'm giving it to my friend who I know will look after it.
yes, i will give them to my mum and sister i think.
its just some things seem small, but when you think of giving them up it kinda pulls on the heart strings.