Reload this Page >

Posts moved from the Ruined thread

Posts moved from the Ruined thread

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Katec19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Posts moved from the Ruined thread

Originally Posted by M_and_M
1. Prejudice. Specially in the workplace.

It's the one single thing making me want to go back to the UK.

2. Work life balance.

I used to have one and now I don't.

3. Financial strain.

Both the cost of the move, relocation, starting a mortgage again, cost of living being higher, struggle to get jobs.. Etc

4. It's like life, but not as we know it

Every culture is different but in some ways the very subtle differences rather than a total different culture makes it much harder to adjust to

5 the very different workplace - not necessarily for the better.

This is the thing I am struggling with most.
Hi

Can I ask what sort of prejudice you are experiencing here in NZ?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: 5 Reasons why moving to NZ could ruin your life

Originally Posted by Katec19
Hi

Can I ask what sort of prejudice you are experiencing here in NZ?
No Not here please.

Feel free and please do start a new thread about that topic. Otherwise this thread will be derailed by the discussion about that rather than people simply listing their 5 choices.

edit here .....

Snaps has taken up the suggestion to start a new thread on the topic HERE in order to leave this thread clear.
Thanks Snaps.

Sigh - another edit

This post is a duplicate to try and keep this in context.

Argh!

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 11th 2013 at 4:47 am. Reason: Bleurgh !
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:46 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I have just thought of one.....

Moving to NZ could ruin your life because it has a large majority of Whinging Poms..
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Stormer999

Moving to NZ could ruin your life because it has a large majority of Whinging Poms..

Certainly cheered me up and made me laugh
Old Dec 11th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999

haha, yep!! The type who start moronic threads!!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conor79
haha, yep!! The type who start moronic threads!!
If you'd bother reading further than the tag line, which I assume is to grab attention , Catchafire actually wrote,

What are the five big things that every newbie should have to consider before taking the leap based upon your experience?

So play nicely now, because it's really helpful for newbies to have experienced people point out some of the pitfalls of emigrating. If you can't play nicely then don't bother posting banal, puerile comments.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by britsinnz
If you'd bother reading further than the tag line, which I assume is to grab attention , Catchafire actually wrote,

What are the five big things that every newbie should have to consider before taking the leap based upon your experience?

So play nicely now, because it's really helpful for newbies to have experienced people point out some of the pitfalls of emigrating. If you can't play nicely then don't bother posting banal, puerile comments.
I personally think the whingeing poms comment is a valid point

But, you know, if newbies let a thread like this inform a huge decision in their life then good luck to them
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:38 am
`

Default Re: Posts moved from the Ruined thread

Blobs and bleurgh & rotten heck.

It kind of does my head in when it is suggested that newbies ; any expat, immigrant,emigrant ; NZ expat; in the country for a long time or a short time - does not have a mind of their own. Like they are some sort of grown up kid that need their hands held.

They don't. We don't. We and they will make up their/our own minds. Honestly. They really will. I really will.

It kinda does my head in when people that have moved their lives, hearts and souls across the entire globe and then find it hard to impossible to settle - for whatever reason , are pegged as being one type of person (s) . A moaner.

Hell. Those that moan about moans are the flippin' moaners themselves aren't they? . Why? Because they simply can't allow for others to have differing experiences and opinions from themselves. I have no idea why. I have never understood why the need.

It kinda does my head in when emigrants want to write to BE that they are struggling and so use BE to have a little vent whilst they hopefully settle, gradually.. To then get told by those originating from that country how they should behave, what they should be doing and then to go on to denigrate the country or origin - whether a born citizen or an immigrant.

If someone is unhappy, it does not effect my life . I simply want to wish them well or help. Not dump on them. If someone is happy with their lives, it is going good and want to share with BE it makes me happy and I think , heck, that is great. I love it.

Those with their backs against a hard wall or find themselves between a rock and a hard place, and we do read this across BE, deserve our outstretched hands don't they? It could be any one of us at any time.

I don't need anyone to tell me about an NZ life and what makes it work and what makes it not work. I have lived here for ten , TEN , blummin' years.

So.

I will re-open this thread .

Just remember those that whinge the most are those that cannot help themselves denigrating, moaning and whinging about others, no matter where they are in the world.

Open season for as long as I feel fit - and thread killer.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:48 am
`

Actually. Is this a good subject for the BE Lounge ?

It is multi-national after all.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with BEVS. Plus there is a difference between having a moan now and again and constant whinging. Some people are never happy where ever, or what ever they are doing and will see the negative in everything.

But as I've already said elsewhere on here a couple of days ago t that what many don't realise is that BE was started to help expats who have moved abroad to connect with other expats and so I think some members forget that BE isn't just about soaking up useful info before we move aboard, but a way for us to connect with, and support, each other afterwards. To involve ourselves in the banter and humour that makes us all British and that many of us do not get to do during our normal days with the local populace So allowing people some space to let off a bit of steam is important, as long as they aren't being mean spirited while doing so. It's all about place and context really.

So support those who are having a difficult day adjusting, and smile with those who have come for some banter. It's what makes us British, it's what makes us who we are, and it's what makes BE the great place it is!!

(Oh blimey, where's my hanky when I need it?? )
Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Blobs and bleurgh & rotten heck.

It kind of does my head in when it is suggested that newbies ; any expat, immigrant,emigrant ; NZ expat; in the country for a long time or a short time - does not have a mind of their own. Like they are some sort of grown up kid that need their hands held.

They don't. We don't. We and they will make up their/our own minds. Honestly. They really will. I really will.

It kinda does my head in when people that have moved their lives, hearts and souls across the entire globe and then find it hard to impossible to settle - for whatever reason , are pegged as being one type of person (s) . A moaner.

Hell. Those that moan about moans are the flippin' moaners themselves aren't they? . Why? Because they simply can't allow for others to have differing experiences and opinions from themselves. I have no idea why. I have never understood why the need.

It kinda does my head in when emigrants want to write to BE that they are struggling and so use BE to have a little vent whilst they hopefully settle, gradually.. To then get told by those originating from that country how they should behave, what they should be doing and then to go on to denigrate the country or origin - whether a born citizen or an immigrant.

If someone is unhappy, it does not effect my life . I simply want to wish them well or help. Not dump on them. If someone is happy with their lives, it is going good and want to share with BE it makes me happy and I think , heck, that is great. I love it.

Those with their backs against a hard wall or find themselves between a rock and a hard place, and we do read this across BE, deserve our outstretched hands don't they? It could be any one of us at any time.

I don't need anyone to tell me about an NZ life and what makes it work and what makes it not work. I have lived here for ten , TEN , blummin' years.

So.

I will re-open this thread .

Just remember those that whinge the most are those that cannot help themselves denigrating, moaning and whinging about others, no matter where they are in the world.

Open season for as long as I feel fit - and thread killer.
Hi Bevs,

Well said - compassion and understanding towards others is so important.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:25 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Compassion and understanding means a lot when life isn't being kind. If things are great then that's brilliant, but when things are not going good then for some people that can seem like the end of the world.

I appreciate everyone on here who has been understanding towards me. It has helped me greatly just by having people who listen and do not judge. You all know who you are and I thank you.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Bev

As you know I have not been on this site for some time .
Although I have found some very good information and support from fellow ex pats on this site , before and after emigrating
Unfortunately their were also a couple of negative , rude and hurtful comments made . I was going through a rough period and had no one to really turn to at that time . I did find these comments up setting and unnecessary. I had also read comments to others which in turn had been unwarranted ...... So I did nt bother logging in for some time , till recently
So please when people do rant they may only have this site to vent and express their frustrations or concerns.
All of us Ex pats ,if being honest have not had an easy time in one form or another since coming
It is Christmas so lets try not to judge but help and support fellow ex pats for 2014
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Well said Bev

As you know I have not been on this site for some time .
Although I have found some very good information and support from fellow ex pats on this site , before and after emigrating
Unfortunately their were also a couple of negative , rude and hurtful comments made . I was going through a rough period and had no one to really turn to at that time . I did find these comments up setting and unnecessary. I had also read comments to others which in turn had been unwarranted ...... So I did nt bother logging in for some time , till recently
So please when people do rant they may only have this site to vent and express their frustrations or concerns.
All of us Ex pats ,if being honest have not had an easy time in one form or another since coming
It is Christmas so lets try not to judge but help and support fellow ex pats for 2014