British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Postage to the UK!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/postage-uk-641186/)

Newfies Nov 18th 2009 10:53 pm

Postage to the UK!!!

I have just posted two parcels one to the UK the other to France.

They were nothing to fancy the Uk one contained several christmas cards with photos to a variety of people that my father has agreed to post on for us and some of which he can hand deliver.

The one to france has one card and a few photos again nothing flash.
I paid $35 to print a selection of photos for people that dont have internet acces to show them our life in NZ.

Total cost $5.40 for a envelope big enough foot the Uk parcel & $42.65 postage

The parcel to France $10.03

A whopping $52.68 for postage.:eek: I shall be thinking twice before I do this next year.

Who else has found the postage a complete rip off?

cappuccino Nov 18th 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Postage to the UK!!!

That seems a bit steep.

I recently posted a birthday present parcel to my daughter in the UK. The padded envelope was $2.70 and the postage was about $25. This was International economy air mail (which took only 10 days to get there)

Did you choose courier airmail as that is much more expensive?

There are a few different options for posting - I always ask for the cheapest and give it about 3 weeks to get there.

lapsed kiwi Nov 19th 2009 3:43 am

If you want to send photos to the UK, you're better off using photobox.co.uk and getting them delivered direct to the UK address. Cheaper prints, cheaper postage and much quicker

Bo-Jangles Nov 19th 2009 6:27 am

I agree it is very steep to send a pretty small and 'worthless' package. I recently sent a small padded envelope, containing a small toy which cost $28. It then cost $10.58 to post. It just doesn't seem worth it, especially when the item didn't cost all that much.. My small token gift ended up costing the best part of $40 bucks.:thumbdown:

Bo-Jangles Nov 19th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 8109234)
If you want to send photos to the UK, you're better off using photobox.co.uk and getting them delivered direct to the UK address. Cheaper prints, cheaper postage and much quicker

Or e-mail them to somebody who can get them printed locally. I have also sent photos on a CD to my sister and got her to print them for my tech-unsavvy mum. Another time I put them on DVD so mummy could see us on the telly. :rofl

pricklykina Nov 20th 2009 6:23 am

I buy things when they are in the sales then post. So I figure the cost is more doable then.
Otherwise, I buy pressies on amazon when on sale too.
I figure that the cost of sending pressies for Christmas is worth it. It would cost me more in the UK when I figure in I would bu a pressie, go out for dinner, rounds of drinks etc. For me, it's important to send a gift so I hang the expense at Christmas.

I keep thinking of not doing Christmas cards, but then I can't resist the christmas letter and sending the photos

Newfies Nov 20th 2009 7:54 am

I didnt do xmas cards last year and thought I better this year maybe out of guilt!!!!!!

I just thought it would be nice for those who dont have access to a computer and facebook it would be nice for them to see some of the things that we have been doing.

Those that have access to facebook I havent bothered as they would have seen it online so save meself some money LOl

Maybe next year I will send fewer photos! I am turning into a tight arse ohh bahh humbug

Bo-Jangles Nov 22nd 2009 4:48 am

I just posted 16 Christmas cards - cost $28.40 :blink: Will have to watch the size of the cards next year, as some of them were square ones and stamps were $2.30 each :thumbdown:

That's International Economy price.

BEVS Nov 22nd 2009 5:11 am

I don't know if the postage prices are a rip-off but it sure is expensive when earning NZ $. Same with gifts to send back really or buy on-line and we've been doing this for 5 + years now.

I s'pose that is all about available , spare, disposable income. We can't just not do it , as folks back there don't get that the cost is high for us.

Still, I will send the cards and small gifts in the spirit of thought , care and love.

CarolineSwan Nov 23rd 2009 12:12 am

I buy all my gifts from Next and disney store, simply cos is soooooo easy to do and my gran packs them all up for me and doles them out. didnt send cards last year as we had just arrived but i have them wrotwe and ready to go this year

Am Loolah Nov 23rd 2009 12:51 am

Today is last day for economy for Christmas to the UK.

j19fmm Nov 23rd 2009 8:27 am

I had my first christmas card from NZ last wednesday :D sent by Economy mail. Usually my signal to get sending mine by airmail!

nero Nov 23rd 2009 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8117667)
Today is last day for economy for Christmas to the UK.

Oops missed that then haven't bought the cards and things yet. Oh well maybe next year I will be more organised ;)

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 24th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 8120060)
Oops missed that then haven't bought the cards and things yet. Oh well maybe next year I will be more organised ;)

I say that every year;)