Reload this Page >

Post Graduate Study in New Zealand

Post Graduate Study in New Zealand

Old Jul 13th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

KayleighandCraigNZ13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Post Graduate Study in New Zealand

Hi guys,

Just hoping for a little bit of advice regarding post graduate study in New Zealand. My Fiancee and i arrive in Christchurch in September this year on a Working Holiday Visa. Of course, initially at least, we intend to travel and undertake some temporary work that conforms with the regulation of the WHV. However unlike most 24 year olds who arrive in New Zealand on a WHV we are using our 12 months here as a pre-requisite to a potential work to residence application (my fiancee has been a qualified staff nurse for almost 3 years now and i have 6 years experience in the UK civil service). Yet having both recently graduated from university we still have a passion to learn and develop our skills! I recently graduated with a 2:1 in History and would love to study a MA or PHD. My fiancee (also having a nursing related degree) has shown an interest in developing her academic skills as far as possible. So, rather than ramble on too much longer, i was just wondering if an British expats had studied a MA,PHD or Health-related in New Zealand and we would both love to hear about your experience, how you applied and whether you enjoyed studying in a country as amazing as NZ. My fiancee in particular, is curious to hear from any British Nurses who have academically furthered their career in NZ.

Thankyou for your time and i look forward to your replies

Best

Craig
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Graduate Study in New Zealand

Have you checked what the fees would be? I think international fees might be enough to put you off. When I was at Uni (10+ years ago) they were roughly 3x normal fees. Make sure you check it out as I think WTR may give you different rights to PR. You don't want to get stung with huge fees.

Post-graduate study here in Otago has lost some of its funding streams, therefore numbers are down.

Not sure NZ would be the place either to progress your history degree. I could be way off with this but I would have thought Europe would be the best place to progress your studies in history.

Last edited by dannigirl; Jul 13th 2013 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Post Graduate Study in New Zealand

Hi Danni Girl, thankyou for your reply.

As far as tuition fees go I have checked most of the main universities in NZ. Based on the current exchange rate, the fee is around 12 thousand GBP. Now prior to the tuition fees rise in the UK I would normally agree with you. However a MA course the from the uni I graduated from was 7500 GBP. almost 4000 pounds difference is, of course, still substantial, however not what it used to be.

I also take on board your point regarding Europe being a better place to pursue history. However it seems all the major NZ universities have history departments with high reputations. To be honest though, coming to NZ is for a better life for me and my fiancée, pursuing further study is a subsidiary to a wider move aimed at settling in an amazing country. it would just be very nice to be able to pursue our passions alongside a superior quality of life. Thankyou for taking the time to reply
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a midwife and just about to start on my post grad studies here with AUT, with the aim of completing with a Masters.
My studies are being fully funded by a Health Workforce grant managed by our Midwifery Council so it might be worth your fiancee having a look at any available options through the nursing council. I'm pretty sure the grants are only offered to NZ residents/citizens though so not sure how that would work with a WTR visa.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a nurse, & I'm doing post-grad study (which explains my sudden interest in the forum after a long break....... being stuck in front of the computer and lacking concentration sends me looking for all manner of distractions!). But, as in the UK, there is a real focus on continuing professional development in nursing, and a range of study options available for nurses, opportunities may depend on interests, employers and funding streams. I'm lucky that my employers are fully funding this year's study for me, but there's also funding available from health workforce NZ. But I suspect that funding may depend on visa status, I know I had to submit a copy of my residence visa with my funding application.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayleighandCraigNZ13
Hi guys,

Just hoping for a little bit of advice regarding post graduate study in New Zealand. My Fiancee and i arrive in Christchurch in September this year on a Working Holiday Visa. Of course, initially at least, we intend to travel and undertake some temporary work that conforms with the regulation of the WHV. However unlike most 24 year olds who arrive in New Zealand on a WHV we are using our 12 months here as a pre-requisite to a potential work to residence application (my fiancee has been a qualified staff nurse for almost 3 years now and i have 6 years experience in the UK civil service). Yet having both recently graduated from university we still have a passion to learn and develop our skills! I recently graduated with a 2:1 in History and would love to study a MA or PHD. My fiancee (also having a nursing related degree) has shown an interest in developing her academic skills as far as possible. So, rather than ramble on too much longer, i was just wondering if an British expats had studied a MA,PHD or Health-related in New Zealand and we would both love to hear about your experience, how you applied and whether you enjoyed studying in a country as amazing as NZ. My fiancee in particular, is curious to hear from any British Nurses who have academically furthered their career in NZ.

Thankyou for your time and i look forward to your replies

Best

Craig
Hi Kayleigh and Craig.
Excuse my ignorance of your chosen profession(s) but I'm surprised you can't get the answers you need from either Canterbury University or the New Zealand Nursing Council

[email protected]

Pete
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tomsk and Lisamct

Thank you very much for your reply. I let my fiancée have a read and she is delighted that the ideas of academic progression are present in the NZ health service. We both really appreciate you taking the time to reply to us.

Thanks again

Craig
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pete,

Thankyou for your reply. The link you provided is most helpful. I think we were both just curious to hear about other people who have experienced post graduate study abroad and how they found it.

Craig
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with the study side of things but with a WTR visa you are on a work visa for two years, you can only apply for residency through work after you've worked for two years. If you need to be a Resident for funding then this could be an issue. I don't know about the visa situation and how it relates to funding but just wanted to point that out in case you didn't know

Can you apply as Skilled Migrants? You'd get residency much quicker.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

If you are wanting funding help (like a student loan), you need to be in this country as a resident for a minimum of 2 years

The inland revenue website confirms this

We've taken a look as the wife is considering taking an early childhood care degree in a few years time (providing we stay here)
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
If you are wanting funding help (like a student loan), you need to be in this country as a resident for a minimum of 2 years
This doesn't apply to the Health Workforce grant we previously mentioned.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

PhD fees in New Zealand are all at the domestic rate - making it the second cheapest place in the world to do a PhD (apart from Finland where it's free). It's a govt decision to attract talent, and you can work too for limited hours per week plus bring your partner in, and there is no medical requirement (as far as I am aware), another concession to speed up student visas.

Masters fees are at the international rate though.

Jan
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Persephone,

Thankyou for your reply. My partner is a Staff Nurse and with us both having degrees we are hoping to gain residence via the Skilled Migrant process. Any financial help would, of course, be incredibly helpful to us.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again Lisamct,

If what you are saying is correct about the Health Workforce grant then my fiancee hopefully wont have to many problems furthering her studies.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jan,

Thankyou for your reply. I have to admit i did notice about the PHD rates being identical to their domestic counterparts. On some exceptional occassions it is possible to bypass a MA and engage in a PHD straight from a Degree however in History they want us to do a MA first. It is sort of a stepping stone to a PHD. That aside, the PHD prices are very reasonable indeed. But you are right about MA fees, they are very pricey. Without some funding i dont think it is going to be feasible until we have saved for a few years.

Craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.