Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Possibly returning to UK - where to start?

Possibly returning to UK - where to start?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

fishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nice
Default Possibly returning to UK - where to start?

Hi there people,

Will post this on the returning to UK forum too but thought this was a good place also and not sure how much overlap there is...

We are thinking of returning to the UK earlier than we thought because although we like it here, lifestyle, some family etc., I am having a baby in July and feel I would prefer to be at home for such a major life change. I don't think NZ will go away and we can come back. Anyway, quite a bit to sort out by April and not sure where to start!

I guess I would need to sort flights, flat here (bills, notice to landlord, post, gym, subs etc), shipping, where to live in UK (initially poss with parents), healthcare back in UK for baby. Not sure in what order or how to go about it all and start! Sounds daft as have done it all to come out here!

Any good recommendations for shipping companies? Ideally I would like one that helps you pack up things as am getting less energetic as time goes on! We had a good experience with Anglo Pacific coming to NZ...

Help!

Fishpond
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:53 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly returning to UK - where to start?

Your in for a busy year then

Cannot help though. Sorry.

Where are you from originally?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

fishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nice

Hi
From Surrey then London...yes, could be a busy year but once we start sorting it all out a relief to know what we are doing as the dithering has been making me go mad!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Transworld to move our stuff back to the uk from NZ - really friendly lady who visited me at my house several times and sent emails making sure the guys had turned up on time, done the right thing etc. She did keep telling me I had a nice smile though and one time she came round i was in my pyjamas and she then sent an email later telling me my pjs were nice. She also drove for an hour and a half to visit me at my house. odd. Anyway they did pack everything up for us in record time due, I think, to the fact that they clearly didn't get on with each other (3 guys) and said not a word to each other the entire time they were in our house - the 'leader' was a mumbling Dutch guy with shaved legs, blue eyeshadow, black mascara and pink lipstick and then there were two others - one who i don't think could speak as he had trouble everytime i asked him a Q and another who was a bit of a laugh in a quiet sort of way. Anyway they were great. All our stuff arrived on time and intact - I think it was about 5 grand ($) all in with the insurance and we packed up a two-bed house minus the beds and sofas.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fishpond
Hi
From Surrey then London...yes, could be a busy year but once we start sorting it all out a relief to know what we are doing as the dithering has been making me go mad!
hiya yep we have a place in surrey and we used 'luxfords of weybridge' to do our move. good luck, you've an exciting year ahead esp with little 'un on the way, take care
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya yep we have a place in surrey and we used 'luxfords of weybridge' to do our move. good luck, you've an exciting year ahead esp with little 'un on the way, take care
get a few quotes from the shipping cos... the prices vary considerably.... we used allied and they were very good.....

top tip - on packing day, buy choccy bics and feed the punters tea and biccies all day.... they pack your stuff that much better :-)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
get a few quotes from the shipping cos... the prices vary considerably.... we used allied and they were very good.....

top tip - on packing day, buy choccy bics and feed the punters tea and biccies all day.... they pack your stuff that much better :-)
yeah we kept the kettle on and supplied them with hob nobs
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fishpond
Hi there people,

Will post this on the returning to UK forum too but thought this was a good place also and not sure how much overlap there is...

We are thinking of returning to the UK earlier than we thought because although we like it here, lifestyle, some family etc., I am having a baby in July and feel I would prefer to be at home for such a major life change. I don't think NZ will go away and we can come back. Anyway, quite a bit to sort out by April and not sure where to start!

I guess I would need to sort flights, flat here (bills, notice to landlord, post, gym, subs etc), shipping, where to live in UK (initially poss with parents), healthcare back in UK for baby. Not sure in what order or how to go about it all and start! Sounds daft as have done it all to come out here!

Any good recommendations for shipping companies? Ideally I would like one that helps you pack up things as am getting less energetic as time goes on! We had a good experience with Anglo Pacific coming to NZ...

Help!

Fishpond
My advice (as we did it 5 years ago) is Grace of Auckland for removals, let them pack, but supervise, and insure with a local NZ company rather than thru the movers.

Best of luck

mpg