Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Possibly OT - visas for NZ citizens travelling in the EU

Possibly OT - visas for NZ citizens travelling in the EU

Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possibly OT - visas for NZ citizens travelling in the EU

Along with many others in the UK I am trying to work out the implications of leaving Schengen.
Simplest view is that form 1/1/2021 UK citizens (without any additional arrangements) will be able to travel within Schengen for 90 days in any 180 day period calculated on a rolling basis.

There are also countries (e.g.France) where you can apply for a longer stay visa which also carries the entitlement to travel outside France but within Schengen for 90 days out of 180.
That is not including the time spent in France.

I was wondering if there were any NZ citizens on here who had made use of these visas, and how complicated it was.
For example, the one for France immediately raises the question of how you record moving from France to other countries when there are no borders.
Old Nov 28th 2020, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly OT - visas for NZ citizens travelling in the EU

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Along with many others in the UK I am trying to work out the implications of leaving Schengen.
Kiwi here, living permanently in London, travelling in and out of the UK on an NZ passport with UK Indefinite Leave to Remain & biometric no restrictions UK visa etc. Intended to apply for UK citizenship in 2020, but it's not straightforward and with Covid, events this year overtook me, so I'll revisit again within the next 1-2 years.

Anyway, on a shorter-term basis, since the UK is not in Schengen, you can check in and check out from any Schengen border point and I treat it as part of the 90/180 day rule. I often travel to the Netherlands, but often detour and take different routes, sometimes through France or Belgium, or straight to Schiphol or via ferry from Harwich or sometimes with Eurostar. Since I'm usually only there for anywhere between 4-28 days max, that entry/exit process is straightforward and I see Schengen as one border.

But it seems there are also bilateral agreements, which I didn't know about, which may provide cover. Here's a good lengthy discussion about it, including below the line comments:

https://brenontheroad.com/new-zealan...vers-schengen/

Seems that keeping bulletproof records and paper trail is key.
Old Nov 28th 2020, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly OT - visas for NZ citizens travelling in the EU

Seems as simple as, if you have a visa/permit to stay somewhere longer than the 90/180, keep it with you when travel outside of that country. Problem solved