Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Possibly heading back to UK in July

Possibly heading back to UK in July

Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:39 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly heading back to UK in July

waw what a decision to have to make .................... but i wish you all the best on your return here to the UK. and you know something WELL DONE guys for taking such an adventure.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shingi
Thanks for the offer, appreciated. Today we have made the decision that we will definitely be heading back to the UK. Onwards and upwards, who knows, we may end up back here in a few years time. Good luck to everyone, at least we achieved our dream of getting here, we will have no regrets as we've had an awesome family time together. Take care.
I'm sorry that you're going to have to head back, but at least you know that you gave it a go and did your best. Just bad timing I guess. I'm glad you've had a good time while you've been here. All the best for your journey back and into work there x
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Simonsi, that was a great offer. I think given the current economic situation here, Auckland is the best bet for 'business manager' jobs. The public sector in Wellington is on edge with huge redundancies beginning to take effect, the situation in Christchurch is obvious so Auckland it is. My OH were talking about this the other night. As much as we don't want to live in Auckland (no offence intended, just find it a surburban sprawl), it would be better than returning to the UK (my husband's department no longer exists there either!).

Good luck to the OP and their family on their return, had a quick peek at their blog and they seem to have had a great 'extended' holiday.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:42 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
As much as we don't want to live in Auckland (no offence intended, just find it a surburban sprawl)
No worries, we live in Whangaparaoa up the coast and both of us work North of the bridge
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:43 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shingi
Thanks for the offer, appreciated. Today we have made the decision that we will definitely be heading back to the UK. Onwards and upwards, who knows, we may end up back here in a few years time. Good luck to everyone, at least we achieved our dream of getting here, we will have no regrets as we've had an awesome family time together. Take care.
OK if anything changes let me know....
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Lucky you, getting to go home. Staying here makes me , returning to Britain makes me go . Might know for definate which direction we are heading tomorrow.......(this game of wait and see is getting very tiresome)
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Whatever you decide, please make sure you get at least an indefinite resident returning visa - it may not be high on your 'to do' list, but you will regret it in future years to come.

We left in 2001 and all 4 of us (including the 2 kids), each obtained this visa. Since then, we have all renewed our passports and managed to get the visa's transferred. Best thing we ever done.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Its the chance you take. I would prefer to have tried and lost then never tried at all. Dont want to be an old bird thinking if only...you only have one life live it as best you can.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:01 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by mpg
Whatever you decide, please make sure you get at least an indefinite resident returning visa - it may not be high on your 'to do' list, but you will regret it in future years to come.

We left in 2001 and all 4 of us (including the 2 kids), each obtained this visa. Since then, we have all renewed our passports and managed to get the visa's transferred. Best thing we ever done.
They don't have even work visas yet IIRC...
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Shingi - I'm really sorry to hear that you're going back to the UK and that it hasn't worked out. I know our previous discussions here were positive, so I'm surprised you're going back. You are right though, you cannot keep throwing money away!

We feel very lucky that Laura was able to secure a job, so whilst I am about to start looking and applying, I am going to do my best to support her to ensure that she can focus on work and pay our rent!

I wish you all the best, but you are right, the grass isn't that greener here - things are a little different and you have to do what's best for you.

David.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:45 am
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future

Thanks again everyone for your words of support, very much appreciated. Shingi, over and out x