Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to save in NZ?

Ok, folks lets not get personal. It isn't helping.

As with everything in life, our mileage varies ... so bear that in mind when reading other peoples experiences.

Furthermore, if we are going to post in a public forum we should be mindful that we can't pick and choose what information is shared. Be respectful of others. Take the information you want from posts, and let the rest wash on by.

Thank you ..... as you were.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Bourbon - I only mentioned it as he gave Davros such a hard time.
Despite him giving me a hard time, I have time for Justcol - his opinion/viewpoint is always welcome. We need to be challenged and questioned, especially when in a difficult situation or making decisions. I am used to taking crap in my life, but I guess that is partly what has made me have strong views - and I respect that others won't always agree or like them. There are plenty of things to do in NZ, but they do require money and some up-front cash. We bought push bikes, one of the best things we did here and have done some amazing "cycle holidays" in NZ. Its also made us realise how much we enjoy cycling and certainly when we go back, we will be cycling regularly. The UK, like NZ is so well geared up for cycling (actually there's even more dedicated cycle paths, trails and tracks back home).

I think the point was missed, the purpose of this thread is around saving. I said that YES it is possible if you are willing to make serious sacrifices. We have really cut down on expenditure over the past 6 months or so (still doing plenty of free things) because our main goal is to save for a deposit. Had we decided to stay in Auckland long term and buy an expensive house, we would have to stick to that lifestyle for many years to come, which I do not believe is interesting or desirable. So like JustCol - leaving Auckland is possibly going to be the best decision that we will make.

Thanks for that luvwelly. For me that is all the evidence that is required. I think though that it clearly highlights what its like in AUCKLAND and then moving elsewhere in NZ. JustCol seems far happier now than he was back then - so I am glad for that.

My argument and position stands. Reading that old thread that was highlighted, revealed plenty of this:
"Loads of posters have said as much before...honestly.....I don't know how people can do it on average Kiwi salaries..." That is exactly the question.

I can't do it and I'm on more than an average salary.

Last edited by davros1984; Feb 24th 2014 at 8:16 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Justcol I seem to recall an old post of yours entitled sth like 'I didn't plan to be poor and now I am'. So glad things have got better in your case it seems.
what changed??
I decided to change things
It would have been easy to duck for cover and run back home but I always remembered why I left in the first place
I've been back to blighty twice since then and each time I last about 4 or 5 days and then I'm over the place and cant wait to leave.

Some of the old members on here will know I've been through the mill a bit. Without going into details, 3 years ago I was left with nothing.
No money, no property, I couldn't have got mortgage if i wanted one, I had a car and some clothes and a rented room at a mates place.
If picking myself up and getting to the place I am at today makes me opinionated and slightly intolerant of others then I'm sorry but I am
nothing special, I don't have any great skills and I haven't got a great education to fall back on, I simply had a desire to turn things around.
I guess, because of what I've been through, I should have more sympathy for those who are struggling and in some ways I do but not for
those whose blame everyone else for their own situation rather than looking at themselves first.

Davros, sorry mate, I jumped in without reading the full thread, something I do more than I should, and over reacted to your comment.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:29 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

She'll be right......
I love it here..even the odd day when it rains
Next month is P as in permanent RV...back to the GIB stopping!

Last edited by Stormer999; Feb 24th 2014 at 10:35 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is in different positions granted, we are early thirties no kids which obviously helps. We don't have amazing jobs or work in high earning professions though and actually dropped our income by $12k moving to AKL from WLG as my partners new job pays less.

But we are able to comfortably save and still have a very reasonable lifestyle day to day.

My top tips....

Anyone who spends $21.99 a kilo on chicken breasts in New World is a mug. For any kind of meat shopping get out the UK mindset of one stop shopping and go to a proper butchers, we are fortunate to still have them here, and they are everywhere. We pay 11.99 a kilo, 8.99 when they are on offer which happens every couple weeks and fill the freezer. That's just one example but we try to never buy meat from the supermarket.

In Wellington we did our fruit & veg shopping at the market on the waterfront every Sunday morning, combined with breakfast from the Vietnamese food van (highly recommended). I've not been to a market similar in AKL yet but i'm sure they exist. Again, you use a supermarket you are going to pay twice the price.

Eating out. We do this once, if not twice a week however I avoid paying full whack. Groupon, Grab One, Treat Me are full of dining out deals every day. 2 courses and wine for 2 people for $35 and such like. Bargain and you get to try lots of different places.

Days out, things to do, short breaks. Again the daily deal sites are your savior. Last month we went on a full day snapper fishing charter from Marsden Cove Marina for $80 each, full day! The freezer is still stuffed of Snapper and Kahwai. This weekend we are going on a 30 minute trial flight from Ardmore airport - $100.

There's bundles of stuff for reasonable money on there. SUP - $20, Surfing lesson's, Tongariro crossing with accommodation, transfers, packed lunches and dinner etc etc.

Obviously NZ is full of plenty of free outdoor activities too.

Accommodation. Even in our early 30's we aren't afraid to get in to a dorm room in a hostel for $25 a night. If that's too scary for you most backpackers places also have private en-suite rooms for a very reasonable rate compared with a "proper" hotel or motel. Makes for a much cheaper long weekend away and gives you more to spend on "doing stuff" at the destination.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Top Post madao.
I like to use the local butchers and veg shops too and apart from grabbing the best cuts at a decent price its also nice
to actually get out and chat to people while your shopping instead of just wandering zombie like around the supermarkets.

I've never bothered much with internet deal sites but I think I'll start looking after reading the list of stuff you've been up to
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:06 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit we were in Welly one weekend and I came across that Sunday market and also the fishing boat selling really fresh fish and see it filleted and skin removed as you wait, really envious and really well attended.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:14 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Madao, they are top tips for saving money, it's true, but they are top tips for saving money on a decent income. Let me elaborate:

Family income after tax, approx $2.5k p/fortnight (that's low 80s per annum)

Expenses:
Rent: 800
Gas & electric: 120
Car ins. (2 cars): 50
Phone & int. :60
Bin hire: 7.50
Fatso: 11.50
Groceries: 500
Petrol: 250
Kid one hobby & school costs: 200
Kid two hobby & school costs: 120
Car maint. Inc rego/wof etc: 75
Birthday etc gifts : 50
Clothing: 50
Parental sanity cash : 60
Kid's pocket money: 35
Misc - house exp, etc. : 75

So it does not take a genius to work out that I will not save money by buying vouchers for dinners out or days out on fishing charters. Not many people on our sort of family income need to be told to buy fruit, veg, and meat outside of supermarkets (though I think it's grim to expect meat to be ever cheaper and I am glad we have Wholly Cow in Cambridge).

I can save money by shedding the two* parasites in our family

I wrote a post a while back about living on the smell of an oily rag in NZ (mostly because of our priorities - our family income isn't great but it isn't poverty level, either)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=46

*technically three
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly can and do save but I am very aware that I am only able to do this because I choose to rent and rent cheaply in a single room as this suits me and also because I am a single person on a decent income with sole control over my own outgoings. I count it as a privilege that I am able to put aside money and see it in terms of an emergency rather than splurge fund. I've also found that not being eligible for KiwiSaver has meant I pay considerably less tax than in the UK which again helps me save.

My Mum was all about spreadsheets and exact amounts. I have found that just physically moving the money I know I should not spend into a separate account prevents me spending it and solves my issues.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
In Wellington we did our fruit & veg shopping at the market on the waterfront every Sunday morning, combined with breakfast from the Vietnamese food van (highly recommended). I've not been to a market similar in AKL yet but i'm sure they exist.
If you find one, please let us know.

We don't get out and about too early, but I believe there's a weekend market in Howick Village that looks good. Went there once, but I didn't get the impression the goods were particularly cheap. Might be that the vegetables are a good buy. There's also the Otara market, which I've never to. I have been to the Sat. market in Mangere Town Centre which has lots of fresh produce. Intersting to go once at least, as you get a real taste of Pacific culture. Auckland does have, after all, the largest number of Polynesians in the world.

It goes without saying it's far easier to save money if you don't have children. Something to think about if you plan on starting a family here. You might find you no longer have the spare cash to do all the fun things you do now. The accomodation you find acceptable now, may not be once your children keep getting ill from the cold and damp. The builder that worked on our house, who built his own grand home, told us that once he put in a heat pump his kids were sick a lot less. His house is full of single-glazed aluminium windows, so despite the heat pump, I'm sure it's a pretty uncomfortable house and expensive to heat, not to mention the constant rivulets of condensation on their windows they'd have to wipe down everyday. Also, school districts are a real concern is you're not in a higher decile school area. Truly, and I say this with personal experience, you wouldn't want your children to attend a low decile school in Auckland.

Last edited by The Weezer; Feb 26th 2014 at 8:29 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have never been but there is a market in Pukekohe selling fresh produce etc.
Waiuku has one as well but i think that is more crafts.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:26 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

All so true, weezer. The hidden costs of kids can be huge - we live in cambridge cos i think it's a decent place for kids, I would never in a million years choose here if i wasn't prioritising their needs, their education, their leisure, their futures. If i didn't have them i would just stirfry prawns at midnight for supper and have coffee for breakfast - as it is we sit down together every night of the week before 7pm to a meal that is in balance with what we eat the rest of the week. Weetbix would never darken my door. But it's not forever, and it's a choice we made and are happy with.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:21 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yes, I use online banking too, and I similarly use a filing system for the cash that stays in my account. However, The envelope method is very good for getting to grips with a new, reduced budget - particularly for groceries. It is well known that using physical money is a useful tool for making a psychological adjustment to less money, ditto mentally calculating what remains and writing it down. If it's not for you, all well and good, but it is a good system for some people, so why be critical?

And as for claiming you don't understand the method I think you mean you want to claim you don't understand it to further highlight how ridiculous you think it is.
I have used the envelope method since moving into my first home many years ago. Works for me. My mum taught me. I use it here too. Im totally with you bournon-biscuit.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
All so true, weezer. The hidden costs of kids can be huge - we live in cambridge cos i think it's a decent place for kids, I would never in a million years choose here if i wasn't prioritising their needs, their education, their leisure, their futures.
We would consider living in the greater Hamilton area if we were staying. It certainly would be easier to save money if you lived there, for no other reason than the houses aren't so insanely overpriced. I love the west coast of the Waikato. Sunset Beach is one of my favourites, love Raglan beach, and there is excellent fossicking just south of there where we found some nice fossils and minerals. Plus, you're still close enough to Auckland to do whatever. But daily, you'd be avoiding all the horrendous traffic, etc. You certainly have all the same shops relatively close by, so shopping really isn't compromised.

I think the topic of the thread should be more specific, e.g. Is is still possible to save in NZ if you have children?

By the way, I started putting aside all $5 dollar bills I get as change, and after awhile, I've saved a considerable sum. Very good money to use for emergencies, and you keep replenishing it. I find using cash instead of cards works for me too as far as keeping my spending in check.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:03 pm
---

In reality I do a bit of both as some money leaves my account directly and we tend to fill the cars with fuel on payday and buy the massive shop (we plan and shop on a fortnightly basis but have a week 2 list for getting fresh fruit and veg, etc, as well as incidentals) and then withdraw the remaining amount from each allocation.

I think, in terms of whether you can save in nz or not, it is useful to state whether you have kids (and if they're teens!) and whether your family income is above or below the average family income and also whether you have brought over sufficient equity to make your mortgage much smaller than it otherwise would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.