Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to save in NZ?

Its all getting a bit monty python now isnt it !!

Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
In reality I do a bit of both as some money leaves my account directly and we tend to fill the cars with fuel on payday and buy the massive shop (we plan and shop on a fortnightly basis but have a week 2 list for getting fresh fruit and veg, etc, as well as incidentals) and then withdraw the remaining amount from each allocation.

I think, in terms of whether you can save in nz or not, it is useful to state whether you have kids (and if they're teens!) and whether your family income is above or below the average family income and also whether you have brought over sufficient equity to make your mortgage much smaller than it otherwise would be.
I'd go along with that.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Is is still possible to save in NZ if you have children
Probably not, unless very deep pockets, or generous family. The end.

Vesta curry anyone?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mark Smith

Vesta curry anyone?
Why not.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Weezer
There's also the Otara market, which I've never to. I have been to the Sat. market in Mangere Town Centre which has lots of fresh produce. Intersting to go once at least, as you get a real taste of Pacific culture. Auckland does have, after all, the largest number of Polynesians in the world.
I've been to Otara market got told about it by Islander and Maori friends - years ago now, from memory there were loads of stalls there selling pretty much anything and everything - does sound a bit like Mangere market you mentioned. Didn't seem dear at the time. The deep fried bread and golden syrup stall was doing a cracking trade
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
In Wellington we did our fruit & veg shopping at the market on the waterfront every Sunday morning, combined with breakfast from the Vietnamese food van (highly recommended). I've not been to a market similar in AKL yet but i'm sure they exist.
I'd recommend Avondale if you are specifically looking to do your Fruit and veg, but in my experience most Sunday Markets around will have enough of those stalls to get your weeks veggies. Even Takapuna Market which has about 75% bits and bobs type stalls has a few excellent stalls.

Avondale has the best asian veggie stalls I've ever seen (not having been veggie shopping in Asia itself). Dozens of different Choy Sum greenery type variants.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Otara and Avondale markets are probably the best for cheap fruit and veg in Auckland, lots of the farmers market-type things aren't really any less expensive than the supermarkets.

I just use the fruit and veggie shops as I find they're usually about 25-50% cheaper than the supermarket.