Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Is it possible to save in NZ?

Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to save in NZ?

What complete utter tosh.

We have done loads of amazing things in New Zealand, but you know what - it costs money!!!! - just like it would anywhere else.

So to save money we ensure we do plenty of "free stuff". However, with our focus on building as big a deposit as quickly as possible, we are having to make a lot of sacrifices. This is our goal. So we are looking forward to the next "chapter" having done this.

Originally Posted by Justcol
music, indie-rap-rock-metal-country-jazz-blues, arts sculpture trails and installations right through to urban graffiti, theater local amdram to international productions,
culture, everything from European settler-Maori- Pacific islands-Chinese-Asian, sports you can actually participate in such as cycling, road or mountain bike, surfing, kayaking,
windsurfing, diving, SUP, fishing, sailing, kite surfing, jogging, iron man, racquet sports, cricket,walking, hiking, mountaineering, motorcycling, we have some of the best biking roads and scenery on the planet
That all costs serious money. Fishing for half a day? $100 each. Buying a bike here ISNT cheap, going to gigs or concerts, again you pay a lot more for. $150 for a ticket for the gigs we've been to here. We do plenty of beach, walking and what not. What IS cheap here is watching rugby, so yes - we do plenty of that thanks. Those people who are managing to save $300 a fortnight, if they were to do just a FEW of the things you mentioned they'd be broke already.

If you dont like the place just say so but dont blame the fact that you cant settle on the place itself, it's you that doesnt fit in.
Where have I said that I don't like the place? We love NZ and are actually pretty sad about leaving. But we can't feel that we can live long-term adult lives here. Its a great place for not making decisions and what appears to be putting most things off, or in other words - living only for the moment (which to some, as it was to us us, is paradise for a while).

Last edited by davros1984; Feb 24th 2014 at 1:49 am.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
I'm not sure that i want to do that - not least because it would cost me to do that - at least the cost of getting to and from the bank. It seems like a waste of time and effort. I could understand it back in my grandparents day when you actually got paid cash - but these days? I can instantly see what I've spent on petrol, or groceries by logging onto my banking - without envelopes of cash?
No one is asking you to do that, it was merely a suggestion to the OP and one she has taken on board as a good idea. You on the other hand have other ways of managing your affairs, as do we all. Looking at the bank statements after the fact, after having spent the dosh can be a little too late if one is looking to hold onto the available dosh you do have.

Some people restrict or limit themselves by giving themselves pocket money, a guy I work with gets $20 a week returned to him out of his pay for coffee or lunch (for the week). It wouldn't be a regime I would want for myself but if that's the way for that family has worked out that they keep heads above water, that's what they need to do and who are we to judge.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ooer Bo-J.

As I am the blimmin' keeper of the beans, Mr BEVS gets a measley amount a week paid into a building society account to do with as he pleases. Last time it built up he got a membership with a gym for several months .
Sometimes he uses it to surprise Mrs BEVS
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Looking at the bank statements after the fact, after having spent the dosh can be a little too late if one is looking to hold onto the available dosh you do have.
But aren't we mostly creatures of habit? I understand that there will be the occasional unusual expense, but it is mostly the predictable outgoings of groceries, petrol, rates, mortgage, bills etc. Once you get into the habit of tracking that - after the fact admittedly - then you get to know where your 'dosh' is going, and should be able to make adjustments in the future?
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Some people restrict or limit themselves by giving themselves pocket money, a guy I work with gets $20 a week returned to him out of his pay for coffee or lunch (for the week).
I bet he's the guy who fills his boots at every morning tea. lol $20 a week for lunch AND coffees isn't much..
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Morning tea h'is for nancy boys & la'h'dies. Small sandwiches and fairy cakes.
Smoko is for blokes . A $2 pie lobbed down the neck washed down with whatever is in your drink bottle.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Save money - simple, stay in the UK, move to the west coast of Scotland for the scenery. Then complain about the distance to the nearest Tesco, expensive local shops, costly postage/courier rates, midges, cold weather, lack of wifi, poor roads and the driving standards of the Spanish/Dutch/American tourists. Even paradise had a serpent.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
That all costs serious money. Fishing for half a day? $100 each. Buying a bike here ISNT cheap, going to gigs or concerts, again you pay a lot more for. $150 for a ticket for the gigs we've been to here.
Walking and hiking are free, I didnt mention hiring a charter to go fishing, whats wrong with surf casting??
Who cant afford a bicycle, it doesnt have to high end, just 2 wheels and a few gears. most of the watersports
can be started with kit from trademe for only a couple of hundred bucks. Kayaking is a tad more expensive but not overly so.
Motorbike cost but you pick up a nice reliable one for around a grand. With all these activities once you've made the innitial
outlay its pretty much free from there on in.
The last gig i went to cost me 30 dollars for a ticket to see a guy who months earlier had sold out wembley arena
it isnt all expensive
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ever heard of the phrase 'burning a hole in my pocket'? This is when you go out with, say, $20 in your pocket - and, guess what? you end up spending it - because it's there. If it's not there, you can't spend it - without getting out your wallet and putting it on a card like Eftpost or VISA. That puts in place a couple more steps that gives you the opportunity to stop and reflect on whether you actually need it.
All your withdrawn money is allocated to certain areas, so there's no such thing as going out with $20 in your pocket - unless it's your "sanity cash" (we have pocket money each so that we can both have some to piss up the wall, no questions asked. DH saves his and buys sports related crap, I buy coffee!).

Also - you're suggesting every two weeks when I get paid, that I go down to the bank and withdraw (some of/all of it? - like I say, I don't actually understand the technique, but please, laugh at me over that eh?) the money and come home and put it into lots of different envelopes?

I'm not sure that i want to do that - not least because it would cost me to do that - at least the cost of getting to and from the bank. It seems like a waste of time and effort. I could understand it back in my grandparents day when you actually got paid cash - but these days? I can instantly see what I've spent on petrol, or groceries by logging onto my banking - without envelopes of cash?
Firstly, I must be very fortunate because here in Cambridge I do not need to go to my actual bank to withdraw cash, and if I did it is only a 5 min cycle away. Secondly, your lack of understanding shows that you have not had a significant period of relative poverty (I say relative because I doubt anyone on here is actually poor, tho we might sometimes feel it) nor read about how those with knowledge about the area advise people with small incomes to manage.

Hmmm. Can I just ask: if anyone doesn't 100% agree with (or in this case, understand) something you have said/think - are they just being "critical" ?
No, no at all. But you weren't just disagreeing, you were deliberately belittling.

I bet he's the guy who fills his boots at every morning tea. lol $20 a week for lunch AND coffees isn't much..
You are mean-spirited and enjoy belittling.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

$20 a week for lunch AND coffees isn't much..
Really? I live in Perth Australia - arguably one of the most expensive cities. I have $35/wk for spending money, $20 of which is allocated to coffee. I put my $20 note into the coffee fund that 4 of us regularly contribute to and we go to the coffee shop every morning to pick up. The other $15 is for when I feel like maybe grabbing a sandwich or whatever else may tickle my fancy. However most days I bring my lunch so don't have to spend it.

Oh, and I don't "fill my boots at every morning tea"

I agree with bourbon-biscuit. You sound like you just like belittling people who don't agree with you.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Walking and hiking are free, I didnt mention hiring a charter to go fishing, whats wrong with surf casting??
Who cant afford a bicycle, it doesnt have to high end, just 2 wheels and a few gears. most of the watersports
can be started with kit from trademe for only a couple of hundred bucks. Kayaking is a tad more expensive but not overly so.
Motorbike cost but you pick up a nice reliable one for around a grand. With all these activities once you've made the innitial
outlay its pretty much free from there on in.
The last gig i went to cost me 30 dollars for a ticket to see a guy who months earlier had sold out wembley arena
it isnt all expensive
Justcol I seem to recall an old post of yours entitled sth like 'I didn't plan to be poor and now I am'. So glad things have got better in your case it seems.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Justcol I seem to recall an old post of yours entitled sth like 'I didn't plan to be poor and now I am'. So glad things have got better in your case it seems.

This one.

One of the first threads I read when first lurking here, not long after returning from my visit there, wondering if moving back might be a good idea. For me, it confirmed that some of my perceptions were shared by others.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:55 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes, he did. He was finding it quite tough - must be lovely for life to take such an upward turn that you forget where you've been before.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634863

We've been here for almost 18 months now.
We have a similar sized mortgage to the one we left in the uk (very small)
We are now both back in the jobs we were doing before we left the uk.
We have no expensive hobbies or extravigant toys.
We both run a car each (not gas guzzlers)
We now have NO spare money at all once the bills are paid and essentials (food) are payed for.
In ther uk we had a disposable income at the end of every month that allowed
us to enjoy the occasional tirip out with the family, or a short holiday break at bank hioliday times, we could eat out every now and again,
on top of the cars i also ran 2 motorbikes, We bought new clothes when we needed to or when we saw something nice.
None of the above were done to excessive levels just occasionally.
We now count every penny, i sold a motorbike recently and the money was supposed to be used to bauy another,
instead i am now dipping into it to cover things like going to the pub once a week for a couple of beers (and only a couple),
buying a pack of cigarretes the day before i get paid so as not to go overdrawn.
This isnt me moaning about the uk being great and nz being crap. even in my current situation i wouldnt go back.
Maybe its here cos i need to vent, or as a warning to all the newbies who are just starting out on the road to PR.
Check, check and check again that you really want to make the move.
NZ is NOT a bed of roses and nice scenery doesnt pay the bills. There are lots of lovely places in NZ but at the moment
i cant afford the petrol to go and see them.
You WILL earn a LOT LESS down here and the cost of living is equal if not higher than that of the uk.
To test it out try to live off two thirds of your salary for a while as for many thats the BEST you'll get when you get here.
Dont be fooled into thinking it wont happen to me, it will and your standard of living and the very small simple things you
take for granted could well be financially out of your reach.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Bourbon - I only mentioned it as he gave Davros such a hard time.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You are mean-spirited and enjoy belittling.
Oh boo-hoo.

There's someone at work who whenever they are told an uncomfortable truth, or, mostly anything they don't agree with: pull out the "you're just rude" card. For 'rude' read 'something I don't agree with'

BTW, play the ball not the man.

Last edited by bearskin; Feb 24th 2014 at 8:15 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, play the ball not the man.
... and lets not forget to take our own advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.