British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Possible move from sunny Wigan, UK to Christchurch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/possible-move-sunny-wigan-uk-christchurch-770727/)

johntmanic Sep 6th 2012 8:50 am

Possible move from sunny Wigan, UK to Christchurch?

Hey people,

Moving to New Zealand isn't something I'd considered before until I received a +64 call from a recruitment guy who is looking for structural engineers to help rebuild Christchurch after the earthquakes.

I don't really know anything about the Country (ignorant I know) but I just wanted to see what opinions had on the move from the UK to New Zealand i.e. cost of living and the general place.

I've been told Christchurch is nothing like Manchester or Liverpool and it's really quiet? Is this true?

Thanks a lot.

John

P.S. He said the positions that are available are between $70,000 minimum up to $150,000 - just to give you an idea on salaries I can possibly expect?

Justcol Sep 6th 2012 9:30 am

Re: Possible move from sunny Wigan, UK to Christchurch?

Nowhere in NZ comes anywhere even close to Liverpool or Manchester, even Auckland for all huff and puff
that jaffas would tell you is a loooooong way behind.

Woodlea Sep 6th 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by johntmanic (Post 10266645)
I've been told Christchurch is nothing like Manchester or Liverpool and it's really quiet? Is this true?

Yes, and we don't want it to be anything like Manchester or Liverpool thank you very much :fingerscrossed:

chippy64 Sep 6th 2012 10:30 am

Originally Posted by johntmanic (Post 10266645)
Hey people,

Moving to New Zealand isn't something I'd considered before until I received a +64 call from a recruitment guy who is looking for structural engineers to help rebuild Christchurch after the earthquakes.

I don't really know anything about the Country (ignorant I know) but I just wanted to see what opinions had on the move from the UK to New Zealand i.e. cost of living and the general place.

Thanks a lot.

John

P.S. He said the positions that are available are between $70,000 minimum up to $150,000 - just to give you an idea on salaries I can possibly expect?

Hi John There is a ChCh thread on here. It is full of questions/answers and general info about the place. Have a look through that and then ask away! :)

Persephone Sep 6th 2012 10:50 am

Nothing like Manchester and I've never been to Liverpool but I suspect it's also not like CHch!
It is quiet compared to any big UK city though there are spots that do get busy at the weekends-depends what you want out of life I suppose.
At the moment it is a city without a centre.

Would it just be you coming over? You could live quite comfortably on that salary range.