Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

possible to live on $65k?

possible to live on $65k?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Post possible to live on $65k?

Sorry, this may sound ungrateful/greedy, but we are moving in July/August and I've just come across some negative, but some realistic figures on the NZ costs of living and I'm a little shocked, especially gas/electric costs.

can anyone advise what a quarterly bill might be for a 3 bed house?

If my OH doesn't get a job, would we mange on $65k for a while?

We have a 2 year old so she will be going to kindy 3 days a week so OH can set up his business and also keep costs down a bit. Her costs will go down in Jan when she turns 3 if we have our residency permits by then.

We're moving to Palmy so rental prices are substantially lower than the cities and I will most likely walk/cycle to work because I enjoy it so we may not run a vehicle for a little until we get a bit more settled.
Any advice gratefully received.
We are moving so that we can enjoy the outdoors and aren't really party people. We have bought most of the toys that we will need in the UK, so shouldn't have too many large expenses when we move.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possible to live on $65k?

I lived in Palmy for a year before switching islands. It's late now but will have a look and see if we still have any old bills- they will be 2y old so not very recent. Bills are paid monthly rather than quarterly here.

A lot will depend on how much you bring over as initial outlays are likely to be more than you will expect.
You will probably find that a car is essential even if it's just to get out and about and see the scenery outside of the city. I used to love seeing Ruapehu on the way to work
Palmy is larger than you think though there is a bus network which I used occasionally. It used to take me just over a hour to walk from the eastern edge of town to the centre.

Nothing ungrateful or greedy about asking for costs-things can be expensive here and it's better to have a definite idea of your disposable income than to come over knowing nothing and thinking everything will be ok
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We did live on less than that in Auckland for a few months when we first arrived and I wouldn't recommend it as a long term option. Would be okay short term and if you're well set up with all you need you should be fine.

You'll fare better being away from the main cities as most of the cost goes into housing. Only you will know what standard of living you're expecting to achieve, but at the end of the day you can only spend what you have and have to adapt accordingly. We've got used to living quite cheaply and don't have high expectations these days - there's nowhere much to go to spend money anyway and even if we could afford to do more nobody else we know can afford to go - so generally any such fleeting ideas of frivolity are kept in check and will flat on their face unless you want to go alone.

Electricity bills are monthly here and I quote from mine below for March just gone.

The total amount of $153.53 is due by 13 Apr 2012, which includes your 10% prompt payment discount.

I think it is shocking, considering we're just two adults, neither of us at home for a good ten hours a day / five days of the week. This is an Autumn bill, no heating on until today and no air conditioning. Nothing extrordinary: just heating water, lights, TVs computers and cooking.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 30th 2012 at 11:34 am.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Thanks guys! I appreciate this!
Yes, I think my husband thinks I'm just trying to find reasons not to come, but I'm not, just trying to have a better idea than he does about the cost of living etc, ESPECIALLY on just one salary.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Do many people have gas and electric or just electric?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

I suppose, everything considered, our gas and electric for a 3 bed house (2 adults away 10 hours per day, 5 days per week as well and almost every item turned off during this time except the oven because i can't reach the switch) is £120 per month and that's with a small amount of heating on as it's still cold here.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:59 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We had mains gas and electric in Palmy, we have bottled gas and electric in Chch.
Current bills are around $100-120/mth for electricity and $500 per year for gas bottles. Two of us, out most days. We use gas for one gas fire [still not used this since last Sept!] and the oven hob only. Water and oven are electric. We use the bulk of our gas in winter when a bottle will last about 4-6 weeks due to using the fire. Our current bottle [hob only] has been in use since last September. Average is 4 bottles a year with approx $100 rental fee.
Not much use to you as I think all of Palmy is on mains gas but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:27 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
I used to love seeing Ruapehu on the way to work
P
I'm with you on that one - I love that mountain

Last edited by sparkie down under; Apr 30th 2012 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:31 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Bo-Jangles...swap you power bills. Mine are always in the region of $250 - winter, $150 summer
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:42 pm
Who loves you, baby?

Oh and the other thing I'd say about coming to Palmy is - have you been there before? And why? (standby by for all bucket heads to get all upset)

There's some real doggy areas, Highbury anyone?

PS to all bucket heads, I don't live there - just work there sometimes
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

buckethead?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:13 pm
Who loves you, baby?

The turbos, Plamy's rugby team, the fans wear buckets over their heads
Attached Thumbnails possible to live on k?-images.jpeg  
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Sparkie
Yes, we have been to Palmy before, not for long but yes, we've been.
Going there because I got offered a good job and good relocation package. It's giving us a foot in the door and we can move on later if we want to. I know it's quiet but we've been in London over 10 years so won't mind the peacefulness!
I don't know about Highbury, but will avoid it on your recommendation!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:31 pm
Who loves you, baby?

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Hey Sparkie
Good

I know it's quiet
Quiet
but we've been in London over 10 years so won't mind the peacefulness!
I don't and won't live in Plamy, - I mean look at the pic I posted - he could be your neighbour There are others here who do live in the Manawatu and they could give you much better advice than me. Incidently I won't do any work in Highbury, you never get paid, the little shits steel your tools or materials or even your van

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 30th 2012 at 10:25 pm. Reason: sortie qwoties :-)
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Hey Sparkie
Going there because I got offered a good job and good relocation package. It's giving us a foot in the door and we can move on later if we want to. I know it's quiet but we've been in London over 10 years so won't mind the peacefulness!
Yes Highbury is not very nice, there are other areas I would avoid too..mainly for esthteticn (sp!) reasons. There are some lovely leafy areas, Hokowhitu is one and I know all the best Streets!! Plamy has an awesome indoor outdoor pool complex, loads of cinema screens, lots of theatres, a few art galleries, a great museum and lots of other attractions. Have a look at goggling 'destination Manawatu' Also look at www.pncc.govt.nz the local council website. There are 27 reserves and play areas to enjoy, a huge awesome square..really funky at night with all the new lighting effects etc and probably one of the biggest and best libraries in the world (IMO!!).

A very, very easy pleasant place to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.