Reload this Page >

Positive Vibes Please

Positive Vibes Please

Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Positive Vibes Please

Originally Posted by colandros
If you come expecting it to a bed of roses you'll have a shock in store.
You need to know its not perfect.
In some ways I agree with this.

I came here with very very low expectations (Rotorua, not NZ). And I've been very pleasantly surprised

If there's not a bubble to burst, you won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We dont get to taupo often enough. I used to visit family there
but they've gone home back to the uk now
Isnt Taupo just Cambridge with a big puddle in the middle
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:22 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Isnt Taupo just Cambridge with a big puddle in the middle
....and a street with at least eight bars, (all of which are generally populated) and plenty of eateries. Remember, this is all on ONE STREET!!!
Let us know if you're heading this way, always willing to break in a new drinking buddy.
On the OP, we love it to bits here. Haze is now fully self employed, I'm doing a completely new job, we have no debts, rellies love the visits here, have hobbies all year round, plenty of mates, neighbours are buddies.......
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
I think you weigh up everything and then make the decision, which from your typing you have already done.

You have looked at the process for moving overseas, the cost, the strain, the pressure, the emotion, the excitement, the opportunities and taken all into account. Compared that with your life you have and decided its a good move.

Stories here are a snapshot of peoples experiences, no two are the same. Whatever people type here makes little difference to your life in NZ, you make that yourself.

You tackle each hurdle as it comes and enjoy every happy moment!

Well said..... we've been here almost 8 years and would NEVER return to the UK.

Gill
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
....and a street with at least eight bars, (all of which are generally populated) and plenty of eateries. Remember, this is all on ONE STREET!!!

Ooo. I remember that from back in '97 & 2004. It's a really, really lovely place although we've only ever been there twice. OH was entranced by the joggers jogging. He was doing that bigtime at the time. Fortunately I've turned him into a podgy brastard these days
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We love it here & have no intention of going back.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:47 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

........and it's less than three hundred yards long !!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:59 am
`

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
........and it's less than three hundred yards long !!!
I know. I looked and thought... I can work with that if we move elsewhere
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:02 am
`

Can I just also say that he used to jog up and down the zigzags at Bournemouth... and then would put a speed on doing that. Used to do my head in. Zigzags are for walking. Gyms are for going mental.

Thankfully, we are both podgy also rans these days
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:21 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

i lived there for 11 years before moving to Australia... if you can be moortgage free you will be fine.. the house prices are way over the top and normally what puts most strain on families..i found rural people more friendly than town folk..we had kids so there wasa certain amount of meeting the perants to there mates otherwise it was work and the RSL..
Get a boat and then ebery ones your friend ..

As been said different strokes for different folks..i left the UK 23 years ago and lived in 4 countries including the UK.. the one thing that is common in all countries is the more money you have the better and easier it will be

km
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:48 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Any move is not without it's trials and tribulations. Moving to the other side of the world is going to magnify the stress.

However, we managed it with 2 houses of gear, 4 kids and 2 dobermans. If I can organise that and still be smiling then trust me anyone can do it!

My angle was research, research, research. I honestly don't know how people managed before the internet and forums like this? The better informed you are the better equipped you are. There will always be things you don't think of or didn't expect ... I forgot to organise a hire car when we arrived this end ...

I'll have been here 4 years in April and despite my eldest having moved to Oz, being in the middle of a shitty divorce and potentially having bought a crap home, I am still happy, content, annoying, insert word of choice!

Good luck and ask away with any questions you have.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:30 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Positive Vibes Please

Hey Kari - don't be disheartened, NZ IS GREAT!!

I had the same issue as you last year just before we came out, was depressed at all the negative threads... there are a lot of posters who think they are just 'forewarning you' blah blah... so your prepared etc, when in actual fact they are just pessimists who like a good ole moan and never have anything good/nice to say... I avoid at all costs!

Some such people couldn't even resist commenting on your 'POSITIVE' vibes thread... they did so with mine too, they don't take the hint!!

I very rarely come on here anymore for this reason, however, there are a few like me who are positive optimists who have found NZ to be all we dreamed of and are making a good life for ourselves

We have been here for 7 months now and couldn't be happier. Live in a gorgeous area, 2 mins from the beach, nice rental (saving to buy), made some lovely friends, decent jobs... and more importantly can get out and about and enjoy life and all NZ has to offer.

I would never return to the UK and its depressing state... NZ will be what you make of it

This was the thread I originally posted... some lovely replies.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666352

P.S Where about in Auck are you heading? Happy to meet up when you arrive

Last edited by Flower Pot; Jan 16th 2011 at 2:35 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Hey Kari - don't be disheartened, NZ IS GREAT!!

I had the same issue as you last year just before we came out, was depressed at all the negative threads... there are a lot of posters who think they are just 'forewarning you' blah blah... so your prepared etc, when in actual fact they are just pessimists who like a good ole moan and never have anything good/nice to say... I avoid at all costs!

Some such people couldn't even resist commenting on your 'POSITIVE' vibes thread... they did so with mine too, they don't take the hint!!

I very rarely come on here anymore for this reason, however, there are a few like me who are positive optimists who have found NZ to be all we dreamed of and are making a good life for ourselves

We have been here for 7 months now and couldn't be happier. Live in a gorgeous area, 2 mins from the beach, nice rental (saving to buy), made some lovely friends, decent jobs... and more importantly can get out and about and enjoy life and all NZ has to offer.

I would never return to the UK and its depressing state... NZ will be what you make of it

This was the thread I originally posted... some lovely replies.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666352

P.S Where about in Auck are you heading? Happy to meet up when you arrive

Well said FP!
Agree 110% with everything you say!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:49 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

it's up to the individual. Lots of people who have never even heard of BE are having a great time in NZ - anyone who says a person is 'one of the few' who enjoy NZ are talking through their posterior! I gave the BE website address this morning to a guy who arrived here in 2005! He did know of ***** but he asked a question once and was ridiculed so never went back He has managed in the meantime to make a great life for himself here. It's a fact (I did a customer service course) that if you've got something bad to say you tell 11 people; if it's good you tell 3. You're going to bring yourself with you so whatever crap goes on in your life now will continue to go on. The difference in your surroundings is the bit that's up to you. I never say never but I cannot imagine ever wanting to live in Europe again.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:17 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmthor
i lived there for 11 years before moving to Australia... if you can be moortgage free you will be fine.. the house prices are way over the top and normally what puts most strain on families..i found rural people more friendly than town folk..we had kids so there wasa certain amount of meeting the perants to there mates otherwise it was work and the RSL..
Get a boat and then ebery ones your friend ..

As been said different strokes for different folks..i left the UK 23 years ago and lived in 4 countries including the UK.. the one thing that is common in all countries is the more money you have the better and easier it will be

km
Never was a truer word spoken, especially about the rural folk. The real New Zealand can't be found in the larger towns and cities. Live in Auckland and you could be anywhere in the world.

I'm on my fourth country too and money makes a BIG difference. For one thing it gives you more choices - about where you live, where you send your kids to school, whether to heat the house or WOF the car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.