Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Positive post only !!!!!

Positive post only !!!!!

Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive post only !!!!!

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Oh wind your neck in fella, tis the joy of an open forum...
What to come on here and whinge, bitch, moan and take the piss out of people who are looking to or are even making a success of thier move, because one hasn't got the balls to up sticks and admit they got it wrong?

The one main thing this forum has taught me; choose your ex-pat mates in New Zealand carefully!!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Or perhaps choose your destination in NZ more wisely, seems to be that us in Canty are more content with our corner of NZ than those that chose the NI to live?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

I thought 'expatexposed.com' was the haters site... While I like the odd dose of truthfull negativity to keep it real, I also like to walk around with my one-eye shielded with a rose tinted spec, nothing wrong with a bit of optimisim

Last edited by thepinkone; Sep 4th 2012 at 10:11 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
because one hasn't got the balls to up sticks and admit they got it wrong?

The one main thing this forum has taught me; choose your ex-pat mates in New Zealand carefully!!!
What on earth makes you think I would ever consider moving back to the uk?
Why do you think I have made a mistake? I love living here, wild horses wouldn't
drag me back to the uk.

I bet if you met me you'd like me really I think we could be mates, drop me a line when you get here
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
What on earth makes you think I would ever consider moving back to the uk?
I typed "up sticks" mentioned nothing of the UK, or even home.

I bet if you met me you'd like me really I think we could be mates, drop me a line when you get here
Out of pure masochistic intrigue, you're on!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Out of pure masochistic intrigue, you're on!!
Brilliant, you can get the first round
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!!
I didnt know they also sold rose tinted glasses in the UK, That's obviously a great pair your wearing
I'm imagining they'd be the very latest Gok Wans, rather than the usual Elton John Rocket man stylie.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Natandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really nice

Well so much for wanting positive posts.

I just wanted to hear good things like:

What's good about the area you live in and why ?
Things to do
The people, schools, beaches, shopping and special events in your area etc

Would like to know which are the best areas to live in to help us rather than sticking a pin in the map and saying we will go there. (if and when we get our PR visa).
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Natandandy

Things to do

Would like to know which are the best areas to live in to help us rather than sticking a pin in the map and saying we will go there. (if and when we get our PR visa).
The best area to live in - very good question, we are probably still 18 months away from getting our PR (parent category) but over the last three years we have researched over and over the area we may choose to live in, this has to be the most important choice out of everything else! We need to be close to our children but not too close that we are in each others pockets, so we decided a max 40 minute drive, we need to be close enough to an international airport, we have every intention of being able to continue to travel in our dotage, we are not fussed about being close to the beach but think our grandkids would like that, we don't need to be near a motorway or have easy access to the city as we do not work any longer, and we would like to be in easy distance of a shopping mall for general purchases. We now know exactly where we are going to live, where is it - not telling as you will all want to live there and house prices/rents will go up!! Do lots of research, go visit the areas, make lists of pro's and cons, where you are located is paramount to your happiness in my humble opinion, good luck!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:14 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

What to come on here and whinge, bitch, moan and take the piss out of people who are looking to or are even making a success of thier move, because one hasn't got the balls to up sticks and admit they got it wrong?

Each person is allowed to have an opinion, just because it's not yours doesn't make it wrong. Enjoy your pint!

Just for the record, I was happy there and I am happy here and we did no research, just turned up with a rucksack and a smile. Only you will know if it suits you when you get here.

Right, must be time for a break from here again.
Peace
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Each person is allowed to have an opinion, just because it's not yours doesn't make it wrong. Enjoy your pint!

Just for the record, I was happy there and I am happy here and we did no research, just turned up with a rucksack and a smile. Only you will know if it suits you when you get here.
I loves you mate, in an older sisterly sorta way

Right, must be time for a break from here again. Peace
Oh noes you don't. We need you around the place.

Please.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

We seem to have scared off our lovely mods Vital and BEVS. BEVS always makes the point of interogating newbies, I mean asking about job prospects ...and quite rightly so, as the reality is you may have to go where the work is.

Auckland and Wellington seem to be the places where most of the work is, but there are plenty of other areas to choose from. Depends totally on what you are looking for.

I have travelled fairly extensively throughout most NZ cities (many moons ago) but have never viewed them through 'do I want to live here' eyes.

I am from Dunedin which is a great little city situated right down South. University city of about 120,000 people. Some level of diversity due to the presence of students. Dunedin has everything you would need plenty of sports teams, museums, art gallery, leisure activities i.e swimming pools etc a plenty, lots of things to do for kids during holidays, good schools, reasonable cost of housing in comparison to other cities. Dunedin can be cold, houses are cold but having visited very recently lots more of my family/friends have excellent heating by various methods. We get four seasons (sometimes all in one day), live by an amazing harbour, lots of wildlife, plentiful beaches which are mostly always empty, easy access to lakes and rivers for fishing etc.

Dunedin is situated within the Otago province and is an easy drive from Central Otago where Queenstown is situated. Central Otago is a popular winter and summer destination, dry heat in the summer, lots of vineyards, fruit orchards, great camping. In Winter skiing/ice skating in Queenstown or Wanaka.

What I like is that Dunedin is really accessible, no traffic jams, you can be in pure countryside in about 10 minutes. A big commute would be 20 mins. It's big enough to not know everyone, but there is still a sense of community in most places. Schools are pretty good - you just need to be careful which area. There are social problems as with anywhere. Gangs are present in Dunedin but their presence is pretty low profile.

Employment wise it really depends what your skills are. Dunedin also has strong links to Scotland, not sure if this helps with expats moving there but it seems to attract less comment about pommy bashing and such like.

I think in your OP you said you had never been to NZ before? It's really hard to explain over the internet but a small town/city in NZ is not like a small town/city in the UK. You can easily feel isolated and cut off from the rest of the world.

Any chance that you can do a reccie of places you may think would suit you? I think it really comes down to personal taste and really getting a feel for a city/town before you settle.

Good luck!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Apologies love.
I've come to think that those two words 'positive' & 'negative' get peoples dander up. Bit like the ole NZ v UK thing which isn't really comparable . Of course it's all about individual perception and experiences isn't it.

Okey Dokey.

Perhaps start a new thread called exactly the above. I'd be happy to contribute to such a thread.

edit here.........
Rats !
Dannigirl has already got the ball rolling with Dunedin.

Then perhaps the thread title should be altered to reflect what the Nat&Andy truly wants from the thread. Info about where we live.

Danni - Did I omit to quiz this newbie about job prospects & visas? I'm getting slack. Aye. It;s true. One so often just ends up where the work is. Mind you , once you are here you can always hope to move within the country.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 4th 2012 at 10:47 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its not all bad is it ?
Just differences of opinions, and look how its turned out for the good
Free beer.....how can that ever be a bad result
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Things to do

Ok, here we go about Merivale - Christchurch

What's good about it?
Expensive shops, expensive coffee, posh culture, Richie McCaw often spotted in the shopping centre, Hagley Park a 15 minute walk away, Outstanding Thai restaurant across the road and down Papanui Road towards the Bealey Avenue junction, Northlands and Riccarton mall a short drive or 1/2 hour walk away, Innes Road providing easy drive to New Brighton beach, St Georges Hospital a stones throw away
Road network excellent with the Papanui Road, Heaton Street/Innes Road junction. Bar the roadworks at the moment but everywhere is having them it seems.

Things to do
Walk anywhere - lovely walk to Hagley Park down Papanui Road or easy walk on Heaton Road to Elmwood park. Also nice walk up Papanui Road to Northlands mall or a nice walk past Riccarton House down to Westfield mall. Lots of choices for dog walkers. Expensive but local shopping centre to see real quality being sold or visit the fairly expensive charity shops.
Excellent Irish pub down the road with a lovely scenery overlooking the lake and the ducks. There's other bar style pubs off Alkmans road
Difficult choice of restaurants around Merivale. Posh dining off Alkmans Road, cracking Thai restaurant across the road from us, or Keo Thai is a 10 minute walk down Papanui Road
Elmwood Park on Heaton Street if you want a short walk where you can take the kids to have a kick around with the football or a rugby ball. There's a tennis club there as well if you like your tennis and want to join. With excellent road access to outer Christchurch, some excellent golf courses like Russley Park and Harewood are a short 20 minute drive away.

The people, schools, beaches, shopping and special events in your area
There's a couple of schools across the road on Papanui Road but as I don't have kids yet, i'm not sure how good they are. It does seem mind that schools perform well here, given reports in the local press. Kids get a very good education, teachers enjoy their jobs - of course I might be wrong but i'm only going on local media
Beaches are a drive away but Sumner and Brighton beach are fantastic. Sumner beach is a frequent visit and reminds me of Sandbanks beaches. I like the Brighton beaches as well and the restaurant on the pier is exceptional. You must try the surf and turf there, $22 well spent
People around Merivale seem fine. Only negative is the youths on Saturday evenings/early Sunday mornings but they're not doing any harm. You hear the odd scream from a young female now and then, as well as some idiot showing off in his car (look forward to his tyre bill) but that's about it. Most say hi and smile at people walking past and i've certainly not seen any kids round here with knives intending on stabbing anyone who tells them off
There's often events happening at Hagley Park and some events happening inside Merivale mall. The first weekend of December inclues the wine festival and that's well worth going to. The buskers festival can be fun as well as some provide excellent shows.
As mentioned before, the Merivale mall is expensive and I believe Fresh Choice is one of the expensive supermarkets going. The shops in there are almost rivaling Balantynes for prices but I reckon the quality is far better. It won't change my K-Mart/Warehouse/Farmers purchasing though. There's two pharmacies on the road, a grocer down St Albans Road if Fresh Choice isn't for you and we do have a McDonalds which does get visited when lazyness is on the top end of the scale. The two coffee shops on a summers day are well worth a visit.

Just to advise rent is quite expensive around the Merivale area but it's definitely worth it. Both the wife and I love the area a lot. We've lived in the city centre and Linwood previously but this is our favourite. Linwood has characters and the city centre was fine until mother nature decided to have her 3rd grand party. Although the street we lived on was known as hooker alley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.