Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Positive post only !!!!!

Positive post only !!!!!

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive post only !!!!!

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Plenty of birds in short shorts over summer

Neil
Unfortunately theres also lots of blokes in stubbies to
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I would move there in a split second
It truly is a grand country, unsurpassed for beauty, history and culture. Also famous for kids stabbing each other on a daily basis, a massive welfare class bigger than NZ's entire popluation, education and healthcare systems groaning under the weight of unregulated migration, chavs using pitbulls as weapons and a whole generaion being shut out of work and homeownership. If you were studious enough to go to Uni you will be paying back the $18,000 a year fees plus living expenses until you die. Fine if your already on the ladder, mum and dad can help or your handy at plopping out bxxxxrd offspring. Some people don't see what is going on over there and are oblivious to the social change. In my 34 years of life, living in Yorkshire, Devon, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, I must sadly confess that this is not the England I once knew and loved.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, I was kind of trying not to say anything negative about NZ because this is not really the intention of this thread, however, there are problems on a massive scale in NZ too.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed and point taken. Too much time on my hands inbetween patients.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
It truly is a grand country, unsurpassed for beauty, history and culture. Also famous for kids stabbing each other on a daily basis, a massive welfare class bigger than NZ's entire popluation, education and healthcare systems groaning under the weight of unregulated migration, chavs using pitbulls as weapons and a whole generaion being shut out of work and homeownership. If you were studious enough to go to Uni you will be paying back the $18,000 a year fees plus living expenses until you die. Fine if your already on the ladder, mum and dad can help or your handy at plopping out bxxxxrd offspring. Some people don't see what is going on over there and are oblivious to the social change. In my 34 years of life, living in Yorkshire, Devon, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, I must sadly confess that this is not the England I once knew and loved.
Its all about how you let it affect you, we all know how difficult it gets to continue to turn a blind eye to the social problems in the uk.
Moving to NZ is like lifting the valve on a pressure cooker Yes we have issues here but they are so much easier to live with
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are two different type of UK expats on here. The more established expats have either forgotten or not seen the scum that inhabit the towns and cities in the UK or experienced the exciting ways councils and gov't have dreamed up to rob you of your future. The baby boomers ponzi scheme must be paid for at all costs and if that means writing off a whole generation then so be it.
I've not emigrated to have a 'dream' life, a huge house or adhere to some fairytale image of NZ. I've come here to have a normal life, something that is truly impossible over there. I don't want to walk down the high street day or night be bothered by weather beaten alcoholics or watch subhumanbeings dealing scag, mugging innocent passers by or hassled by drunk teenagers looking for a fight. I'd like to go into a town or city at night and not feel its some sort of war zone or worry that at any moment I may have to fend off an attack.
Yes, house prices here are way too high as are rents, food, 2nd hand cars and that the exchange rate was and will be at an all time low.
When we applied for a UK mortgage back in 2008 being self employed I needed a 5% deposit, a few weeks later it's 50%. Why should graft to live in a small rented semi, when the breeding machine next door gets hers for free? I look forward to taking ANZ up on their offer of a homeloan and having a chance that so many in their 20's and 30's cannot expect to achieve anymore in blighty.
For those of you that are constantly moaning - do something about it! Move, hang yourself, bang the nanny, run for government, invent a religion anything to stop the moaning. There are worse places to live and I still feel very priviliged to be here. Life isn't all rosey, but we're working hard to make a go of it.
Mark, this response deserves a beer next time I'm in Ch'ch

Do you have the same speech writer as Winston Churchill?

IOU one beer.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Despite my adulation of Mark, I don't necessarily see all of what he eludes to back here. But I know it goes on.

Whilst I am keen and looking forward to my move to NZ, I have made it my mission to stress to people that it isn't because I have any problems with anything to do with the UK.

I am however almost certain that the life of my wife, my daughter and I will be better off in New Zealand for the foreseeable future.

My life in London consists of work and various sports, and amongst that I'm lucky to have a few social circles that give me things to do regularly. London doesn't offer the same for my wife and she is fed up with her job, which compounds the issue.

New Zealand will offer much more for my wife, least of all a chance to be reunited with friends who moved back to NZ after living the OE. My wife stayed, to be here with me.

However, it will also offer so much more for me. I can do all I do in London, in New Zealand, but it will be of a better quality;

Cycling - Aside from the quality of a Kiwi driver, cycling in New Zealand is a frankly brilliant experience, whether it be road cycling or mountain biking, one can not underestimate the thrill of being a cyclist in New Zealand.

Sport - Very accessible. Not sure what to add, I'm just hoping that the Kiwi's left at home are as competitive as the many I've payed with, and against over here.

On the sporting front I very much look forward to swimming around the bays in Auckland, as well finding out if I'm any good at Surfing, Kite-Surfing or Wind Surfing. I also look forward to getting out in a Kayak and doing some diving. None of which are remotely possible right now without very long distance journey times. I can do all of this stuff of an evening, or even before work in New Zealand. And what's more I can pick and choose where to do it.

The outdoors - the accessibility to beaches and water is what excites me most. I my last visit to New Zealand it became apparent to me that the beach and sea isnt just for sunny days they're for all year round. It's how you choose to embrace them!!

Help with Childcare - We have few people that can help us out with childcare right now. Certainly at short notice. Either way it costs us money and time and effort. A weekend away in Edinburgh cost me £270 recently just to get there. Because I paid the train fare for my sister to come to ours to look after the rugrat but she could only make certain days, so the travel to Edinburgh and back was reliant on when she could make it. Then there was a mountain of food shopping we got in for her, she couldn't go hungry could she? In New Zealand we already have a network of friends and family that will essentially eliminate this issue.

Cars - I'm no a petrol head, but I am a license holder, but I do not own a car. It doesn't make financial sense at the moment to do so. Too few journeys would be made by car in London to make the insurance and MOT worthwhile, let alone the outlay on simply owning a car. I look forward to being a driver again in a situation where it will make sense.

The happiness of my family - I will miss my folks. No doubt about it. But. Fear my family life will suffer. My wife's family is much older than mine and just feel that my wife will regret not spending time with her family if/when it becomes too late. I'm also keen tthatmy daughter spends time with her mums side of the family, as they are not only older, but much less in number.

But the happiness of my family extends to all the above. As a family and as individuals we will be able to do more, in a better environment therefore enjoying life more.

I'm under no illusion that it is going to be all fun and games. There will be homesickness and tough times, but so long as I remember the reasons for my move will be ppermanent Homesickness and tough times will be temporary.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

I think there are two different type of UK expats on here. The more established expats have either forgotten or not seen the scum that inhabit the towns and cities in the UK or experienced the exciting ways councils and gov't have dreamed up to rob you of your future. I don't want to walk down the high street day or night be bothered by weather beaten alcoholics or watch subhumanbeings dealing scag, mugging innocent passers by or hassled by drunk teenagers looking for a fight. I'd like to go into a town or city at night and not feel its some sort of war zone or worry that at any moment I may have to fend off an attack.
Interesting, we are hoping to get PR next year, we were discussing going into London for New Years Eve this year as it will be our last year in London (we are 40 mins outside by train), I then read how much it would cost to get a hotel room, how difficult it may be to get trains into London (there may be strikes) how the Police will "kettle" you into areas along the Embankment from 9.00 p.m. until 1.30 a.m. so if you wanted to see the firework display you would have to get in by 8.45 p.m. We could have taken a boat along the Thames but that was also mega expensive and I read people's experiences last year to board these boats at the bridges along the Thames because of the crowds, the police etc., and when the boats came back you had to "barge" your way through crowds to get to your trains or hotels, so we decided it was far too dangerous!! Yes people, the UK is not what you remembered, the last 3-4 years has seen huge change in UK way of life and it's not the same any more. I have been in Auckland for 2 New Year celebrations, how very very different!! nice to find a positive post thread finally!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

On a really positive note, we enjoyed a walk in the daffodil woods at Hagley park on Sunday. Wow, what a fantastic sight. Families with young kids playing amongst the flowers, love struck couples, proud grandparents taking photos of the little uns. No thugs, nobody drinking electric soup - perfect. It felt a bit surreal but great to be coming out of winter hibernation.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Despite my adulation of Mark, I don't necessarily see all of what he eludes to back here. But I know it goes on.

Whilst I am keen and looking forward to my move to NZ, I have made it my mission to stress to people that it isn't because I have any problems with anything to do with the UK.

I am however almost certain that the life of my wife, my daughter and I will be better off in New Zealand for the foreseeable future.

My life in London consists of work and various sports, and amongst that I'm lucky to have a few social circles that give me things to do regularly. London doesn't offer the same for my wife and she is fed up with her job, which compounds the issue.

New Zealand will offer much more for my wife, least of all a chance to be reunited with friends who moved back to NZ after living the OE. My wife stayed, to be here with me.

However, it will also offer so much more for me. I can do all I do in London, in New Zealand, but it will be of a better quality;

Cycling - Aside from the quality of a Kiwi driver, cycling in New Zealand is a frankly brilliant experience, whether it be road cycling or mountain biking, one can not underestimate the thrill of being a cyclist in New Zealand.

Sport - Very accessible. Not sure what to add, I'm just hoping that the Kiwi's left at home are as competitive as the many I've payed with, and against over here.

On the sporting front I very much look forward to swimming around the bays in Auckland, as well finding out if I'm any good at Surfing, Kite-Surfing or Wind Surfing. I also look forward to getting out in a Kayak and doing some diving. None of which are remotely possible right now without very long distance journey times. I can do all of this stuff of an evening, or even before work in New Zealand. And what's more I can pick and choose where to do it.

The outdoors - the accessibility to beaches and water is what excites me most. I my last visit to New Zealand it became apparent to me that the beach and sea isnt just for sunny days they're for all year round. It's how you choose to embrace them!!

Help with Childcare - We have few people that can help us out with childcare right now. Certainly at short notice. Either way it costs us money and time and effort. A weekend away in Edinburgh cost me £270 recently just to get there. Because I paid the train fare for my sister to come to ours to look after the rugrat but she could only make certain days, so the travel to Edinburgh and back was reliant on when she could make it. Then there was a mountain of food shopping we got in for her, she couldn't go hungry could she? In New Zealand we already have a network of friends and family that will essentially eliminate this issue.

Cars - I'm no a petrol head, but I am a license holder, but I do not own a car. It doesn't make financial sense at the moment to do so. Too few journeys would be made by car in London to make the insurance and MOT worthwhile, let alone the outlay on simply owning a car. I look forward to being a driver again in a situation where it will make sense.

The happiness of my family - I will miss my folks. No doubt about it. But. Fear my family life will suffer. My wife's family is much older than mine and just feel that my wife will regret not spending time with her family if/when it becomes too late. I'm also keen tthatmy daughter spends time with her mums side of the family, as they are not only older, but much less in number.

But the happiness of my family extends to all the above. As a family and as individuals we will be able to do more, in a better environment therefore enjoying life more.

I'm under no illusion that it is going to be all fun and games. There will be homesickness and tough times, but so long as I remember the reasons for my move will be ppermanent Homesickness and tough times will be temporary.
Wow!!
I didnt know they also sold rose tinted glasses in the UK, That's obviously a great pair your wearing
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:12 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Col, once you decide to quote, you can edit within the brackets.
There's no need to repost the entirity of a previous post.

Please pass on to the others who do similar......there seems to be a lot of them.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:14 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I've seen a single person in Nike air max and Lonsdale bottoms dragging their knuckles around Christchurch. Nobody sitting on the shandy bench
with their tell tale suntan, wrinkled faces and can of electric soup. Certainly not perfect here and I'm sure the wrong 'uns are out there, but I feel so much more at ease with life.

Mark - this cracked me up!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:43 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Plenty of birds in short shorts over summer

Neil
finally a positive thing about being in NZ
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wow!!
I didnt know they also sold rose tinted glasses in the UK, That's obviously a great pair your wearing
I can taste the bitterness from here.

You are genuinely one of the most curmudgeonly people I have ever come across.

And that's saying something given I've never met you in person. Never wish to, for that matter. You are a glass half empty, very negative person. I make no apology for being positive and looking at the up side.

What's more you clearly ignore the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of my post.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:30 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I can taste the bitterness from here.

You are genuinely one of the most curmudgeonly people I have ever come across.

And that's saying something given I've never met you in person. Never wish to, for that matter. You are a glass half empty, very negative person. I make no apology for being positive and looking at the up side.

What's more you clearly ignore the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of my post.
Oh wind your neck in fella, tis the joy of an open forum...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.