Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Positive post only !!!!!

Positive post only !!!!!

Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Natandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really nice
Default Positive post only !!!!!

We are planning the big move to NZ soon (just in the process of applying for resident visa). I have just been reading a few posts on here and it's mainly negative stuff from people who are clearly not happy. So I am feeling a bit ummmmm

I am a positive person and believe NZ is a great place to live and bring up children ( but havin never been) I can only go off the info I have read and people who have been and say its amazing.

I think where ever you live in this world there is good and bad, all I can say is we are fed up now in the UK and this move will give us a new zest for life. I believe you only get one crack of life so live it to full and with no regrets. We will regret it if we don't try and give it a go at least.

I am hoping to move early next with my OH and my children.

Please can I have some positive post on NZ big thank you
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive post only !!!!!

Great weather, good fishing, cheap golf, the roads are empty and you can have the beach to yourself.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I understand your request for positive posts, & the general negative slant of the forum gets me down too. But, you gotta be realistic, & the chatter on here gives you a serious amount of realism. You can't commit to a major move like emigrating 1200+ miles without taking off those rose tinted specs. Honest. Read the negative posts, absorb them, discount some of the bitterness & resentment, but take on the commonly repeated gripes, an often repeated grumble is likely genuine & has to be taken seriously. Personally I don't give a stuff about the cost of tomatoes in August. They're exorbitant........so I choose to grow them in January & freeze them, or I buy tinned tons at 95c a tin from New World. But I hate that my family are still in the UK & it takes some organisation to even talk to them, & you can't hug on Skype. I don't care how positive you want to be, you have to think about those downsides else you'll be seriously disappointed.
I'm responding to this post only because I'm a bit fed up with all the negative stuff, it drags me down & very little of it reflects my experience. I, & my family, husband & children aged 19 & 20, both kids now at uni in Wellington, have a good life here. We have some amazing friends, both kiwi & ex pay, we work hard, I hadn't worked full time for over 20 years, & here I am again, working full time to make ends meet. But we manage. I cool, I grow as many fruit & veges as I can, I stitch, sew, mend & make do. And we manage. Everyone I know manages, it's normal, we don't try to keep up with the Jones's, cos we're us & there's no-one to impress. We love the beaches, the forests, the lakes. I enjoy walks, bike rides, lazy days at the beach. I love days with friends, a $4 coffee each and a long chat, or a $10 beer in the local pub & more chat. Or we go to friends homes/ they come here, share a bottle of wine & a couple of steaks on the BBQ & it's a great evening.
There's space, the climate is kind, shopping is a necessity not a lifestyle, most people actively participate in sport, getting out there & doing it. Life's good in NZ, but it ain't perfect. It ain't perfect in the UK either but family & familiarity make life easier over there. Never, ever underestimate that.
But in positive mode, as requested, I've been here over 4 years, & yep, life's good.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

This is based on a totally personal view so I'm aware it will not apply to others.

I'm into whitewater kayaking and SUPs, skiing and mountain biking. The central north is where I call home as my family is from Taihape and after leaving school I lived in Taupo although when we move back we're looking at the Tauranga/ Mount area.

I loved being in easy driving distance from Whakapapa and Turoa for a ski. Loved being able to jump into my kayak and paddle the Tongariro or other rivers and mountain biking from Taupo to the Huka falls or into the craters of the moon as great and in the evenings often took the family boat out on the lake for some fresh trout or a crafty waterski. I miss that and can't wait to show the kids the world I was into back home.

I know I have rose tinted glasses and Tomsk is spot on. You need to read the bad also.

Last edited by phyns; Sep 1st 2012 at 10:53 am.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Natandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really nice

That sounds great, my kids have just had a taste of canoeing in the last few weeks and loved it. I have never gone fishing and would love to try this with my family, I am willing to try anything once (within reason).

I know not everything is positive about life and I know you have to take the rough with the smooth, especially when moving to the other side of the world. I just wanted some good feedback.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

there was an upbeat stuff thread a short while ago, theres lots of stuff in here to make you
feel optimistic about coming to live in sleepy hollow

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=upbeat
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of birds in short shorts over summer

Neil
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:25 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I've travelled well and lived and worked in many countries, and never felt more "at home" than since we moved here.
There's always diferences in the attitudes of folk, and it seems the miserable buggers like to vent. Maybe it's because the more settled are too busy to just sit and have an interbitch.
If you're willing to just get on, you have the right attitude to give it a shot. Best of luck.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post

Neil
Trust you to lower the tone

I love it here and am well known for saying that. The earthquakes and resultant problems in Christchurch got us both down, but I'm over it now. I also came out here for a salary increase (it was a promotion in my field which is why we came) which is not common, but does seem to make a difference to people's experiences here.

Jan
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've seen a single person in Nike air max and Lonsdale bottoms dragging their knuckles around Christchurch. Nobody sitting on the shandy bench
with their tell tale suntan, wrinkled faces and can of electric soup. Certainly not perfect here and I'm sure the wrong 'uns are out there, but I feel so much more at ease with life.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post

Neil
Are there sexy surfer dudes for the girls?? Lol
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Ok

First of all, whilst the TV is bad, there's no car insurance advertisement every 16 seconds into an advertisement. No annoying meerkat, no annoying tenor, no Queen song being ruined etc. State Insurance are trying their hardest with their advert but it's not a patch on how bad Comparethemarket.com is

Secondly and a huge plus for me. There's no ambulance chasing scumbags around. Well if there is, they never promote themselves so that if you trip where it says caution wet floor, oh you can get x amount of money. Sooner than later, people will be getting sued for breathing back in Blighty

Car insurance is cheap. I'd never dream of owning a 2.6V passat back home, I did a comparison check as to how much it would be to insure with my driving record. 2,816 Great British Pounds. Here, $589 fully comp with the AA

There's cheap golf, whole beaches to yourself, cheap sports usage and certainly the youngsters here seem to behave themselves. We do have the screamers at 1am Saturday mornings but that's mainly due to living a stones throw from McDonalds. Oh and they generally respect their elders and don't go round throwing tantrums, setting fire to stuff or doing any other illegal attention seeking activity because they're bored

There's plenty of outstanding walking scenery round here, that can only be compared to living at either a national park or in the southern counties.

Fishing is excellent and very fun when having eels around. Be careful of them. There's also penguins nearby, dolphins, whales, seals, Great White Sharks etc.

There's not really a huge binge drinking culture in this country despite the constant whinging of government officials saying we have a drinking problem. Well it might be different in other places but I certainly don't see much heavy binge drinking around the Merivale area or around Christchurch much. Nor in Corporate Affairs although $30 for a single malt does explain why.

Sports games are cheap bar the All Black matches. $20 to see a Super Rugby match is a bargin. Those sort of prices encourage people to attend the games.

Some parts of NZ, you can have the whole road to yourself. Hardly any cars around here. Traffic Jams might last for 10 minutes in Christchurch. Everytime an employee whinges about the traffic, I laugh. They want a traffic jam, I recommend they fly to London and experience Junction 4-7 of the M25 clockwise between 6 and 10am.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are two different type of UK expats on here. The more established expats have either forgotten or not seen the scum that inhabit the towns and cities in the UK or experienced the exciting ways councils and gov't have dreamed up to rob you of your future. The baby boomers ponzi scheme must be paid for at all costs and if that means writing off a whole generation then so be it.
I've not emigrated to have a 'dream' life, a huge house or adhere to some fairytale image of NZ. I've come here to have a normal life, something that is truly impossible over there. I don't want to walk down the high street day or night be bothered by weather beaten alcoholics or watch subhumanbeings dealing scag, mugging innocent passers by or hassled by drunk teenagers looking for a fight. I'd like to go into a town or city at night and not feel its some sort of war zone or worry that at any moment I may have to fend off an attack.
Yes, house prices here are way too high as are rents, food, 2nd hand cars and that the exchange rate was and will be at an all time low.
When we applied for a UK mortgage back in 2008 being self employed I needed a 5% deposit, a few weeks later it's 50%. Why should graft to live in a small rented semi, when the breeding machine next door gets hers for free? I look forward to taking ANZ up on their offer of a homeloan and having a chance that so many in their 20's and 30's cannot expect to achieve anymore in blighty.
For those of you that are constantly moaning - do something about it! Move, hang yourself, bang the nanny, run for government, invent a religion anything to stop the moaning. There are worse places to live and I still feel very priviliged to be here. Life isn't all rosey, but we're working hard to make a go of it.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
I think there are two different type of UK expats on here. The more established expats have either forgotten or not seen the scum that inhabit the towns and cities in the UK or experienced the exciting ways councils and gov't have dreamed up to rob you of your future. The baby boomers ponzi scheme must be paid for at all costs and if that means writing off a whole generation then so be it.
I've not emigrated to have a 'dream' life, a huge house or adhere to some fairytale image of NZ. I've come here to have a normal life, something that is truly impossible over there. I don't want to walk down the high street day or night be bothered by weather beaten alcoholics or watch subhumanbeings dealing scag, mugging innocent passers by or hassled by drunk teenagers looking for a fight. I'd like to go into a town or city at night and not feel its some sort of war zone or worry that at any moment I may have to fend off an attack.
Yes, house prices here are way too high as are rents, food, 2nd hand cars and that the exchange rate was and will be at an all time low.
When we applied for a UK mortgage back in 2008 being self employed I needed a 5% deposit, a few weeks later it's 50%. Why should graft to live in a small rented semi, when the breeding machine next door gets hers for free? I look forward to taking ANZ up on their offer of a homeloan and having a chance that so many in their 20's and 30's cannot expect to achieve anymore in blighty.
For those of you that are constantly moaning - do something about it! Move, hang yourself, bang the nanny, run for government, invent a religion anything to stop the moaning. There are worse places to live and I still feel very priviliged to be here. Life isn't all rosey, but we're working hard to make a go of it.
I know quite a few people that have a very normal and satisfying life over in the UK. I most certainly enjoyed my time in the UK thoroughly. I enjoyed the cities, the culture, the people, the humor, the beer, the beaches and the countryside. I think the UK is a grand country (with its problems of course). I would move there in a split second.

And because this thread only wants positive posts, here is mine about NZ: the weather is getting better. Summer is coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.