Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Positive NZ Thread

The Positive NZ Thread

Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough
Default The Positive NZ Thread

As yet we haven't been to NZ but are hoping to get over to do a fact finding trip in the future before we commit. However, many posts are less than positive and somewhat offputting (RE: the negative NZ thread) So we thought we'd start this thread just to see if could collect some positive comments in one place. Our plan is to come over for 3/4 weeks hire a motorhome and check out our "target" areas and do some tourist stuff as well. I'll be looking for work as a plumber/gas engineer/builder with a fall back as an HGV driver, MBH is a community nurse. Reminder! this is the POSITIVE thread. Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Positive NZ Thread

Hi catzohm

Asked and answered, started at about the same time as the negative thread.

Click here
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is Arsoleia?

I've looked in my Atlas and also done a Google search but I cannot find Arsoleia, just whereabouts in the world is it?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

RainbowRibbons is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The Positive NZ Thread

Originally Posted by catzohm
As yet we haven't been to NZ but are hoping to get over to do a fact finding trip in the future before we commit. However, many posts are less than positive and somewhat offputting (RE: the negative NZ thread) So we thought we'd start this thread just to see if could collect some positive comments in one place. Our plan is to come over for 3/4 weeks hire a motorhome and check out our "target" areas and do some tourist stuff as well. I'll be looking for work as a plumber/gas engineer/builder with a fall back as an HGV driver, MBH is a community nurse. Reminder! this is the POSITIVE thread. Thanks
Well, it depends where you come from as to what your comparisions will be. I come from the UK and this is my plus points list;
    Attached Thumbnails The Positive NZ Thread-3.jpg   The Positive NZ Thread-16.jpg   The Positive NZ Thread-4.jpg   The Positive NZ Thread-teddysurfing.jpg   The Positive NZ Thread-30.jpg  

Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:47 pm
    A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Love your surfing dog!
    Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:02 pm
    Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
    Love your surfing dog!
    You will have to train that donkey to do that if you get one

Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:21 pm
    A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
    You will have to train that donkey to do that if you get one

I know!!
    Still no joy we know of one couple who have sold a lot of their land and may be rehoming theirs but they havent decided yet. We want a donkey
    Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:21 pm
    Just Joined

RainbowRibbons is an unknown quantity at this point

Love your surfing dog!
    Hey that's no dog....it's a kangaroo!
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:37 am
    BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 19 months and we adore it..life here is as wonderful as it gets. Less people, less crowds, empty roads, empty beaches, marvellous food, people, scenery and peace! We live in the type of neighbourhood that we could only have dreamed of in the UK. We have a house that again we could only dream of in the UK...6 beds, a lovely pool, big garden, balconies that overlook rural pasture then onto the mountains..all for £166000 in May 2005....what would that get you in the UK 18 months ago?....our children are like pigs in muck..over here there is a far more friendly approach to kids..they are welcome almost everywhere..and there's always a box of toys for them too.

NZ has way exceeded our expectations many times over, we have the kind of life here that we could never ever replicate in the UK. Less stress is the order of the day, less crime too from a local perspective. what a place to grow up in aye? We work far less hours than we did in the UK and we have more spare money at the end of each month. For us it is not 'same shit different bucket' that others go on about..our lives and the quality of them are sooooooooooo far removed from what we left behind in the UK.

I think for emigrating to be a success for you it has to be significantly different from what you left behind...otherwise whats the point of making all the effort to get here??

NZ has loads to offer and I think its the best place on earth from what I have heard about other countries. It has its fair share of problems and is far from the utterly perfect destination. Its not for everyone and some people hate it.

Fortunately for people like me and my family our lives in NZ offer everything that the UK could not. NZ rocks, rather alot I might add!!
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:04 am
    BE Forum Addict

Default Just where is Arsoleia?

Is it in Catalonia, Spain?
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:01 am
    A land far far away

Originally Posted by RainbowRibbons
    Hey that's no dog....it's a kangaroo!
    haha! So it is!! must be going blind or something! doh! *slaps head*

catzohm - if you look at the other positive thread I have about a gazillion posts on it
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:13 am
    BE Forum Addict

Default Just where is Arsoleia?

Is it in Anatolia, Turkey?
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:20 am
    BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I know!!
    Still no joy we know of one couple who have sold a lot of their land and may be rehoming theirs but they havent decided yet. We want a donkey
    Just had a look for donkeys for you and can only find these 2.... wow they are expensive!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...n-77756806.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Eque...n-77836538.htm

How about a piglet for 35 bucks??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...n-77258965.htm

or a pet goat??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...n-77853101.htm

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful am I?
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:01 pm
    Forum Regular

catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough
    Default Re: Just where is Arsoleia?

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
    Is it in Catalonia, Spain?
    It's where the sun don't shine (anymore). Used to be known as "merry England" but it got hijacked by the gruesome twosome of Tony "I'll pass a law against that" Blair, and Gordon "i'll find a way of taxing that" Brown. Off to start a negative UK thread before the whisky kicks in ( probably why I missed the original Postive thread)....... on second thoughts a thread like that'll probably crash the WWW. The bottle calls, bye bye.
    Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:42 pm
    BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Catzohm,
    we did the same last October and we were sold. We did see a couple of alkies on a street corner in Welly and a semi naked man dancing with an iPod (looked like Nice Guys avatar, now I come to think of it ) on another corner but you must get that all over the world and the advantages completely outweighed this anyway (we're off to Welly in January). We were torn between Aukland and Welly and I'm glad we visited as we would probably have chosen Aukland without the visit, which is a lovely place but not what we were loking for. We're both nurses too.
    When are you planning your trip? Hope all goes well, I'll watch your posts with interest,
    Donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.