British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pork Pies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pork-pies-671845/)

gozzy Jun 10th 2010 7:05 am

Pork Pies

Hi there,
Does anyone know where to buy a good pork pie. I have tried the ones from the local farmers market and they don't quite meet the mark.:unsure: Supermarkets around here don't stock them and if you ask they try to sell you a sausage roll. :confused:
Please can some one help, as it is a long way to melton mowbray to fetch a dickinson and morris pie.
your salivating
gozzy:fingerscrossed::)

sirplug Jun 10th 2010 7:13 am

Re: Pork Pies

Originally Posted by gozzy (Post 8623613)
Hi there,
Does anyone know where to buy a good pork pie. I have tried the ones from the local farmers market and they don't quite meet the mark.:unsure: Supermarkets around here don't stock them and if you ask they try to sell you a sausage roll. :confused:
Please can some one help, as it is a long way to melton mowbray to fetch a dickinson and morris pie.
your salivating
gozzy:fingerscrossed::)

Think you may be in the wrong country for 'UK like' pork products!:p

Newfies Jun 10th 2010 7:26 am

Try

www.mysausages.com

Best by far had some over the weekend they do courier service of some description. You will have to get in contact to find out exactly what services they offer. We drive up every few months and fll the freezer up.

hazeandsteve Jun 10th 2010 10:13 am

Had a beaut from Countdown last weekend. It tasted of pork instead of herbs and crap.
Better to go steak and cheese though :thumbsup:

Am Loolah Jun 10th 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Newfies (Post 8623647)
Try

www.mysausages.com

Best by far had some over the weekend they do courier service of some description. You will have to get in contact to find out exactly what services they offer. We drive up every few months and fll the freezer up.

I was going to post that link!:sneaky: Just popped into their new shop today and collected 3 different varieties of sausages for tomorrow's supper;

Chicken, chestnut and cranberry ... OMG, so yum!
Pork chipolatas (not their technical name, but chosen on "looks" by 11 year old son who wants them for brekkie!)
Cumberlands

Despite various dramas tomorrow and then netball, we WILL be having decent sausages, mash and baked beans!!!!:thumbsup:

I can't tell you how delighted I am that they have moved even nearer to my house!

Margaret Parkinson Jun 10th 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8624056)
I was going to post that link!:sneaky: Just popped into their new shop today and collected 3 different varieties of sausages for tomorrow's supper;

Chicken, chestnut and cranberry ... OMG, so yum!
Pork chipolatas (not their technical name, but chosen on "looks" by 11 year old son who wants them for brekkie!)
Cumberlands

Despite various dramas tomorrow and then netball, we WILL be having decent sausages, mash and baked beans!!!!:thumbsup:

I can't tell you how delighted I am that they have moved even nearer to my house!

Hi Caroline

I can't wait to see the new shop we will be there in January.

By the way its Gail who makes the Pork Pies. Well she used to she may have passed the job onto someone else now and they do a Mail Order service as well.

June

Charlie Paynter Jun 10th 2010 1:37 pm

Just seen your post and must tell you, just returned from Melton Mowbray where I bought, and now eating for lunch, a great big golden MM pork pie! Boy oh boy, its fantastic! :thumbsup:

No matter how bad the UK gets, I just could not return to NZ knowing I could not get great pork pies! :D

Wooly_Cow Jun 10th 2010 11:58 pm

You wait....the way the UK is going it won't be too long before the EU or the 'PC brigade' ban pork pies because they are somehow 'not square enough' or 'might offend religous minorities'

As it is I believe that the EU said you can't call a sausage a sausage unless it was a % meat content ....and comes from Germany!

pixi-dust Jun 11th 2010 12:19 am

the EU did that to rowies ( NE of Scotland delicacy!) heehee
They said they were too salty and had too much fat in them - really?? *splutter* anyway they had to cut back on all the lovely fatty saltiness and they don't taste the same now at all.
However - I'm the lucky one as there is a baker in NZ who is originally from Aberdeen and he ships them up from Auckland for me - and they are even better than the originals and no EC regulations! whoo hoo! we win!

My Dh got some pork pies sent up to him from a company in NZ and he said they were pretty good, i'll ask him where it was.

Newfies Jun 11th 2010 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8624056)

What up the road?

I travel from the Mighty Waikato and fill our freezer up every few months. I don't buy my meat from anywhere else.

(apologis if I have misread your post!)

Fooferfish Jun 11th 2010 8:54 pm

New World Deli counter, the one in Dunedin makes them, so the others might ? was just like the ones they used to sale in Tesco's yum, also had an awesome Cornish Pasty from a guy in Waimate Strawberry festival, yummy.

Woodpigeon Jun 12th 2010 1:21 am

Couplands make a half-way decent pasty (says she who was brought up in the UK West Country) :)

But yes, I'd recomend the pork pies from Countdown too, closest I've seen to Bowyers!

BEVS Jun 12th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Fooferfish (Post 8627188)
New World Deli counter, the one in Dunedin makes them, so the others might ? was just like the ones they used to sale in Tesco's yum, also had an awesome Cornish Pasty from a guy in Waimate Strawberry festival, yummy.

I've still not found Malt Loaf anywhere up here Nige. :(

gozzy Jun 12th 2010 2:34 am

will try countdown and www.sausage .com .
thanks for your help.
gozzy

SLH Jun 12th 2010 2:57 am

Who ate all the pies in Dunedin do a great cornish pasty and pork pie. Website below but unfortuantly its not working at them moment. To be honest all is pies are good. He is an English fella and seems to know what he's doing.

http://www.whoateallthepies.co.nz :thumbsup: