Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Popular Kiwi Sayings

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Re: Popular Kiwi Sayings

Haha

What a crack up some of those sayings are.

I am a kiwi and I have never heard some of those.

Things like pashing and spunk are age related. So, when you are at say intermediate and high school you would say "I pashed that boy", but when you are an adult you dont say pash anymore. And if you do - youre a bit of a knob obviously.

Spunk is around the same ae group...then you move on to "hes a babe", then "she's hot".
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

DO YOU SPEAK NU ZILD ?

Heard anyone say "it's a bit nippy around the pipi's"

"it's Kiwi speak for ït's a bit cold outside"

Pippi's (shellfish) have no televance to the nether regions, but it does rhyme well.

"It's puckarooed" - is a corruption of the Maori word "pukaru" meaning broken or ruined.

"I'm just yanking your chain" - means I'm pulling your leg !

"Don't be a spazz" - a typical Kiwi sister's response to her brother for being, well, her brother

"What are ya" - A Kiwi's way of saying "is that all you've got"

" He's a kumara short of a hangi" - the lights are on but nobody's home. His elevator doesn't go to the top floor. He's not playing with a full deck. If you don't my drift by now, you obviously don't have both oars in the water.

All taken from the book ......

Kiwi Speak. Fan-Bloody-Tastic!
By Justin Brown

I reckon it's right as rain. Ka pai. Good as Gold.

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:09 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I was raised in NZ. When I arrived in the UK in my 20's I worked in an open plan office and one day I was telling a story about this 'spunky' guy I knew. The whole office went quiet and someone next to me said (in hushed tones), 'I think you'll find that means something different here.' She wouldn't tell me what though.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jmh
I was raised in NZ. When I arrived in the UK in my 20's I worked in an open plan office and one day I was telling a story about this 'spunky' guy I knew. The whole office went quiet and someone next to me said (in hushed tones), 'I think you'll find that means something different here.' She wouldn't tell me what though.
Lol - poor you.

I always grew up knowing it had two meanings.

The teenager meaning and the adult meaning lol
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:56 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Now if I use spunk or pash in a sentence it is generally as a bit of irony/p*sstake on myself or the people I am with.

"Jo like totally pashed that spunk in the bar" type conversations. Ie if you want to point out quite how silly someones hornybutt behaviour was after a few wines and using regular adult and sophisticated type words don't really have the same effect.

And yes, Spunk has had the same meaning here.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Spunk is a popular one. Nope - not man fluid , if someone is 'a spunk' then we are talking attractive, just like they use it on Home & Away and Neighbours that we all laughed at when we were teenagers [/QUOTE]

Tricky one that. My mum gave our 7 year old an American toy dog. It had a nametag on it's 'collar' and she always retains the name that comes with any of her toys. This one however read 'Spunky'. We keep trying to give it another name but she's having none of it. Still it will be pretty funny to remind her of when she's older!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:25 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shiny Alex
I've been here 10 weeks and the only phrase/word that is standing out for me is 'Day-boo' - which translated means first time, as in ' hes made his Day-boo for the All Blacks.

And it really annoys me for some reason
Yep, they do that in Oz too, and it annoys the be-jeesus out of me as well. I have a habit of shouting at the TV when they say "day-boo" and then my OH has a habit of looking at me funny while I do it......
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:39 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I know I am a kiwi and it sounds odd that I have picked up on this, but there is something really odd about the way people pronounce Dubai.

I think I put more emphasis on the 'bai' part and keep the first part shorter. Most people I know put the emphasis on the 'du' bit. As though they were about to say "Doobie" but replaced the end of the word.

Or is it just me?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Popular Kiwi Sayings

Number 8 wire.

Although I have yet to find a situation where this beats duct tape TBH .
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I know I am a kiwi and it sounds odd that I have picked up on this, but there is something really odd about the way people pronounce Dubai.

I think I put more emphasis on the 'bai' part and keep the first part shorter. Most people I know put the emphasis on the 'du' bit. As though they were about to say "Doobie" but replaced the end of the word.

Or is it just me?
It's a bit like Samoa. The Brits tend to pronounce it 'Se-mo-uh' whilst the Kiwi's (and others) pronounce it 'Saaah-moh-uh'
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
"All Black was yet again up to argy bargy and may be sent to the sin bin"....hilarious! You would never hear that on the BBC!
I'm pretty sure that is pure Aussie speak though.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia theyre thongs and in UK theyre flip flops BUT in NZ theyre jandals.

And if someones being a sook (sulking) then they cant 'handle the jandal'.

Persnal favourite of mine.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:20 am
NZbound

yorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really nice

I have just been laughing my socks off at this thread

My Kiwi friends had a "barbie" for us when we arrived a few years ago on a holiday... His girlfriend introduced herself to me and my OH and all was lovely - untill she asked

"do you drink piss?" ................. "NO" was my short reply... thinking how rude, yo are not making a good first impression young lady!!! Then it all became clear - "yeah I would love a beer thanks"

great stuff
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:37 am
tui
Just Joined

tui is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
The best one i heard from a recent migrant was.

He and his wife went to his new boss's house for a Barbie BBQ and once inside the front door the Kiwi boss asked this guys wife " would you like to come and sit on me dick?" she immediately went over to her husband and said " did you hear what the dirty bastard asked me to do?" but the Kiwi guy then beckoned them out doors at the back of the house onto the DECK !! they nearly wee'd themselves.
that reminds me of a not so funny story I heard about someone ringing his mate. His mate's small son answered the phone and said "here's Dad" but the guy was momentarily horrified because he thought he'd said "he's dead"...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:57 am
tui
Just Joined

tui is an unknown quantity at this point

OH always laughs at my use of "dairy" which sometimes still slips out, for corner shop, especially when I'm off to some flea-bitten establishment with surly assistant. Conjures up such a wholesome image.

Don't think anyone's mentioned "togs" for swimming gear, both sexes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.