Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Poorly paid job in Taranaki

Poorly paid job in Taranaki

Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:13 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poorly paid job in Taranaki

It might be that you're not reading things correctly. Sometimes Kiwi politeness extends to a reluctance to say no. This is frustrating if you are not used to it. When a Kiwi says to me they'll ring me back, I know that they will if they are interested, but probably won't if they're not. So long as you know that, you won't be disappointed. You might consider that rude in the UK but in NZ it's not considered to be. Kiwi's don't like confrontation, so if you come across like that you won't get a call back either (or make many friends).
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine Kiwibird would be pretty familiar with Kiwi attitudes; she's not an expat she's a returning to bring her parent homes, what do people not understand about that?

Unfortunately Kiwibird; the recruitment process here and the people involved in it are a law unto themselves and always looking for the local / known candidate - it's been like that as long as I have been in an around the process of coming here and most unlikely to change in the coming decade.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Many ex-service personnel have difficulty finding employment after years of service - wherever they live. The Forces re-settlement process can be as useful as a chocolate teapot but even so they do stress that getting a job or second career after serving in the Forces may be MUCH harder than expected. The job situation in NZ is roughly the same as in UK - it is incredibly difficult to get employment in each and every sector. If anything, your tale is a cautionary one to those who think NZ is desperate for immigrants, skilled or otherwise. It's not - unless you bring £££s which makes perfect business sense for any country. I think that unless your OH retrains in NZ (they like home-grown which again makes sense)or offers something special he may struggle to stand out from the crowd as a new entrant to the country. Remember there are ex-NZ service personnel looking for work too! Take care and try not to get too stressed out. Hug a family member or the dog!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:06 am
Just Joined

kiwibird75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Bo-jangles I do understand the Kiwi attitude, I would just imagine that manners cost nothing all around the world and common decency is expected every where!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick reply before I get off this thing and do what I'm supposed to be doing!
Kiwibird - you are expecting your concept/viewpoint/understanding of manners and common decency etc to be the same as everyone else's. However, in my experience (travel, working with people from different nations, backgrounds, cultures and beliefs etc) they are not. These things are not set in stone and vary greatly nation to nation, community to community.
A little patience and humility will go a long way and help your blood pressure too. best wishes. J
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

lower your expectations - my mantra since being here
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

We have a fair bot of cash we are taking with us I just worry with renting and bills etc his wage won't cover it all and we will start dipping into the savings then not having enough for a mortgage, I will work without a doubt but expect it may also take me a couple of months
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:41 pm
NZ resident since 2003

Stgeorge6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi no one ever gives you anything in life, role up your sleves work hard and start your own business, NZ great place for that then you can employ a few kiwis and contribute to the country.

Old Jun 20th 2015, 8:59 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I imagine Kiwibird would be pretty familiar with Kiwi attitudes; she's not an expat she's a returning to bring her parent homes, what do people not understand about that?
You would thinks so, but her posts suggest otherwise. Maybe she's forgotten what it's like, or maybe she was young while she was here. And, of course, maybe things have changed since back then. I'm a Kiwi expat who spent 23 years here (born and raised) and I was surprised when I returned after 24 years in the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Yes Jmh I will have to lower my expectations but I am certainly not a defetest, I will get a job and work hard as this has always been my ethic, u think what u want as this is your opinion, others know differently, maybe one day we can meet up and chat over coffee but will have to be a weekend as I will be busting my balls monday-Friday lol
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that's another assumption you need to be wary of, thinking you'll walk into a job. It's a fairly common thing on here for the female partners struggling to get work (and it's very hard to exist here on the cheap). That said, I agree with you on the manners thing, if someone said they were going to phone me back I'd expect just that. If kiwi's are so 'well mannered they don't like confrontation' you'd expect at least the usual pre-written rejection letter
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Is the job he has only part time?
Minimum wage in nz is around $30000 for a full time post (40 hrs)
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi bird quoted £20k so it's $40k ish
Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:18 am
Just Joined

RichieRich80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't understand these people that move to rural NZ and expect good jobs, unless you are highly skilled this is highly unlikely. Move to a city and you will have more luck finding something that pays better and there will be more opportunities. You don't move to Taranaki to get rich.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibird75
Yes Jmh I will have to lower my expectations
If you do you will be miserable in no time, living a life that is nothing but a sham.

All you need to do is be patient, things will happen in time, but getting angry at a
whole country and culture isn't going to get you anywhere.

How long ago did you leave NZ ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.