British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   POOR RECRUITING PRACTICES IN NZ - FUJITSU (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/poor-recruiting-practices-nz-fujitsu-689935/)

msi geek Oct 17th 2010 7:10 pm

POOR RECRUITING PRACTICES IN NZ - FUJITSU

Without even applying for any job, I was approached by a recruiter via Linkedin:

Apologies for the unsolicited contact, but I was very interested in your profile that I found on LinkedIn while conducting a search for a XYZ in Wellington.

Could you let me know if you would be interested in finding out more. Alternatively, if you know of anyone in this area, please feel free to give them my contact details.

My first question after being approached via LinkedIn was " How much can the given role pay? "

Their RESPONSE:

Thanks for getting back to me. We are fairly flexible in salary, depending on skills and experience. Salary could be anything from $65,000 to $100,000, though for this particular role, we are probably looking at the higher end of the range. I have attached a job description for your information.

My RESPONSE:

Thanks for your reply and being considered for the given role - XYZ

Enclosed: CV (CV.doc)

Minimum Expected Salary: NZD $ 90,000/annum

I believe that my CV was forwarded to “hiring manager and his team” keeping the above mentioned in mind.

I expected more than the above mentioned amount since there was no middle man (recruiting agency) involved and Fujitsu is ranked as a financially prosperous organisation, however, I was shocked to find that the amount offered is even less than the minimum expected salary.

The recruiter called me personally breaking the "good news" - GOOD or BAD NEWS:ohmy:

I raised a concern regarding the same; however, my request was declined.

I wasted my time attending interviews at odd hours and hunting previous bosses for reference checks - only to discover that they are interested in me for they cannot find anyone cheaper - skills, experience, references hardly matter.

Another recruiting agency approached me for a contractual role seeking someone with a skill set similar to mine.

It turned out to be for Fujitsu (NZ) and the rate quoted was $60-70/hour.

Fujitsu (NZ) does possess the financial strength to hire Expensive Contractors, however, was NOT ready to match my minimum expected salary or even consider a request for a small amount as relocation reimbursement.

The very same person who is good enough to be offered a permanent position as a "CHEAP" full time employee cannot even be considered as an "EXPENSIVE" contractor.

WHY ???

Why waste time/effort/money arranging/conducting interviews if you cannot match an applicant's minimum expected salary "clearly stated" at the start of the recruitment process.

Later, I heard from a few others that it is known as low paying employer with little or no pay rises and high attrition rate.

The job market is bigger than Fujitsu.
The world is bigger than NZ.

My time is as valuable as of many reading this post. I feel VERY STRONGLY about these POOR RECRUITING PRACTICES and seek help & assistance from news reporters and media persons in highlighting the same for the benefit of all.

Any help & assistance will be highly appreciated...

simonsi Oct 17th 2010 9:07 pm

Re: POOR RECRUITING PRACTICES IN NZ - FUJITSU

The hugely wide salary range first quoted would have rung alarm bells with me. I think your issue may well be with "the recruiter" rather than with Fujitsu (even if they were the potential hiring organisation).

I´m not sure how you expect to force any organisation to offer you a job solely on your terms anyway, at the end of the day they offer and you accept, decline or negotiate, if they aren´t willing to move then you really just have to move on...I agree it is annoying that your minimum salary expectation wasn´t achieved but you can´t know for sure if that was even passed onto the hiring manager (unless you raised it in the interviews - but you don´t mention it).

Remember the NZ IT market isn´t that big, you wouldn´t want your name on anyone´s list as a potential problem employee even before you´ve started.

msi geek Oct 17th 2010 10:46 pm

Three Technical Interview were conducted - each lasting around 40-60 minutes. Their immediate reaction was they found my skills/experience satisfactory

I made frantic phone calls, sent several emails to old bosses requesting updated contact details for reference checks

In hindsight, all for nothing.

The recruiter was in-house company employee (not some external agency).He was not able to reply to my question:
Why the remuneration mentioned in job offer letter in less than minimum expected salary:confused:?
Even sent an complaint email to Managing Director of the company - no response:thumbdown:

My first question after being approached via LinkedIn was " How much can the given role pay? "

They were not ready to negotiate even a little bit. Not ready to help with reimbursement for relocation too - explained my financial constraints

In the end, they told me that if I DECLINE the job offer, they will NEVER consider me again for any job role:(

RobClubley Oct 18th 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 8924859)
In the end, they told me that if I DECLINE the job offer, they will NEVER consider me again for any job role:(

That's not on!
I used to work for Fuj and they do have some really good people. Sounds like you didn't deal with one of those.

JohnThePom Oct 18th 2010 7:30 am

The thing that's annoying me at the moment is that most vacancies are advertised through agencies and the companies seem to use multiple agencies who are all desperately competing to fill the same jobs. The agencies then all advertise the same jobs on all the main channels i.e. seek and trademe.

So, many of the so-called vacancies are the same job. Each agency wants you to keep the job secret, but also you need to try to prevent them from submitting multiple applications if you use mutliple agencies. To get your application to the company you need to be interviewed by the agency who then has to filter and re-present your details to the company.

I don't know if this is how it works in the UK, but it's bloody ridiculous.

BEVS Oct 18th 2010 7:53 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8925525)

I don't know if this is how it works in the UK, but it's bloody ridiculous.

You are our Whinging Pom though:wub: , so you should know how it is in the UK work market surely.

simonsi Oct 18th 2010 8:22 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8925525)
...but also you need to try to prevent them from submitting multiple applications if you use mutliple agencies...

Why? That is the employers problem if that is the one they have created.

RobClubley Oct 19th 2010 3:01 am

I had lunch today with a mate who works for Fuj - and he said they have outsourced all recruitment to Manpower, so it's likely you were dealing with one of their people, not a Fuj person.

JohnThePom Oct 19th 2010 3:29 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8925591)
Why? That is the employers problem if that is the one they have created.

Yes that's true... sorry, I tend to feel responsible for trying to keep my life in order.

Interestingly enough, despite doing my darndest to try and 'help' the agencies, they have still managed to cock it up and submit me twice to the same employer.

JohnThePom Oct 19th 2010 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8925549)
You are our Whinging Pom though:wub: , so you should know how it is in the UK work market surely.

Nah. Only changed my job once in 22 years (outside the company).

I applied directly to an advert by the employer.

WP

simonsi Oct 19th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 8927440)
I had lunch today with a mate who works for Fuj - and he said they have outsourced all recruitment to Manpower, so it's likely you were dealing with one of their people, not a Fuj person.

That would explain it. Still Fujitsu´s responsibility though if they are directly working for them :thumbdown:

chillyed Oct 19th 2010 11:47 am

Good job my time isnt valuable it took three reads of that to get half an idea of what you are on about

Dont get your point about contractors, if they got you on contract there are less overheads and they can get rid of you fairly quickly hence the increased rate

RobClubley Oct 19th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8927757)
That would explain it. Still Fujitsu´s responsibility though if they are directly working for them :thumbdown:

Agreed.

Also with contractors, generally they are hired for a specific task, so the money comes from the budget for that task not the salary budget, which makes it easier to hire them.

msi geek Oct 20th 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 8927440)

No, the recruiting person was a permanent employee of Fujitsu based in Auckland.

Very proudly he says "We can pay upto 100K" . Very modestly, I ask for 90K. The offer letter received states an amount significantly less... :ohmy:

New Zealand is even worse than third world asian countries as far as salaries are concerned. It comes in the the given clan:

Tonga, Samoa, Fiji & New Zealand
rather than
UK, Ireland, Australia & New Zealand

zaras dad Oct 20th 2010 7:56 pm

90k - third world ......................................:rolleyes:

how can one survive on that................:rofl: