Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Poor old London..........

Poor old London..........

Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Poor old London..........

So you're a member of the Olympic planning group for London 2012 and all's going well, you have some great things in mind. The WHAM....... Bejing suddenly deflates the ego...........

You may not agree with the politics that China adopts but that was without doubt the opening ceremony to top all that have gone before and I doubt will be equalled in London.

The power that China has to get things done is immense in terms of manpower and control over that resource and while communism may not be everyone's bag it sure helps with organisation of something like this event.....
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor old London..........

I agree, the opening event was amazing and will certainly taking some beating.

London certainly have a hard act to follow.

Moomoo
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't wait for 2012 synchronised morris dancers!!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:00 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they dont let to many into NZ, i have spoken to many Aucklanders moving down south, and one said the other day " we dont care if its colder down south as long as we are Asian free" they were getting fed up with the ammount of Asians in their area so up and left

China will become a major super power, but what worries most New Zealanders is how many will try to get in here, and what amazes me is if they have $7million dollars they can come into NZ no problem, so what about all the ohter people who struggle to get in to here, or cant because of certain things in UK stopping them.

But yes that Olympic games opener will be hard to beat, but why has it got to be so that people will have to beat it? sounds like keeping up with the Jones's , thats why people move to NZ, not so much of that pressure going on here.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:08 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
As long as they dont let to many into NZ, i have spoken to many Aucklanders moving down south, and one said the other day " we dont care if its colder down south as long as we are Asian free" they were getting fed up with the ammount of Asians in their area so up and left

Now if a white british person openly made that comment it would be RACIST - batton down your hatches we have some fairly opinionated anti-racists on this site, who feel people must share their opinion.

I'm of the mind of we are allowed our own opinions we are allowed to disagree and it is usually our life experiences which give us our opinions rather than someone elses.

I don't care who my neighbours are as long as they are friendly and considerate of other, don't cause trouble, don't play loud music into the wee hours or rev their engins.

ANYWAY BACK ON TRACK

The opening was spectacular and the 'run' in the sky to light the torch, amazing, I didn't see all of it, James (19) sat up to watch HE thought it was absolutly mind boggling amazing, but I woke up at 0200 and watched the finish.
London will not be able to compete and would be foolish to try. Glad I've left the UK, the bill they are going to expect the 'working' communities to meet will be horendous.

Pauline
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howden40

ANYWAY BACK ON TRACK

The opening was spectacular and the 'run' in the sky to light the torch, amazing, I didn't see all of it, James (19) sat up to watch HE thought it was absolutly mind boggling amazing, but I woke up at 0200 and watched the finish.
London will not be able to compete and would be foolish to try. Glad I've left the UK, the bill they are going to expect the 'working' communities to meet will be horendous.

Pauline
Well it was spectacular but so typical of a totalitarian regime....the person is a cog in a machine...very dehumanising in the 3 opening pieces I saw (then went to bed)...London definitely shouldn't be copying it..but aiming for sth much more individualistic...we can do great fireworks too though and hopefully won't have such a polluted city??? Terrorism will however be a major worry and I wouldn't attend personally for that very reason...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:32 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MOSO
I just can't wait for 2012 synchronised morris dancers!!!!!
good one, thats one thing I dont miss from the Uk.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Well it was spectacular but so typical of a totalitarian regime....the person is a cog in a machine...very dehumanising in the 3 opening pieces I saw (then went to bed)...London definitely shouldn't be copying it..but aiming for sth much more individualistic...we can do great fireworks too though and hopefully won't have such a polluted city??? Terrorism will however be a major worry and I wouldn't attend personally for that very reason...
Maybe they will have Chavs and hoodies dancing
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:18 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Well it was spectacular but so typical of a totalitarian regime....the person is a cog in a machine...very dehumanising in the 3 opening pieces I saw (then went to bed)

What a shame that we only look to the negative. We know the track record and it's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination.

...London definitely shouldn't be copying it..but aiming for sth much more individualistic...we can do great fireworks too though and hopefully won't have such a polluted city??? Terrorism will however be a major worry and I wouldn't attend personally for that very reason...

I quite like the idea of the Morris Dancers and good old fashioned square dances, a wicker man and a May Queen (can pretend it's may, it's all make believe and politics now, no longer unity of countries) to entertain at the opening, that would be individualistic and since I won't be attending either not painful to the senses.

Pauline
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:32 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by teambwr47
So you're a member of the Olympic planning group for London 2012 and all's going well, you have some great things in mind. The WHAM....... Bejing suddenly deflates the ego...........

You may not agree with the politics that China adopts but that was without doubt the opening ceremony to top all that have gone before and I doubt will be equalled in London.

The power that China has to get things done is immense in terms of manpower and control over that resource and while communism may not be everyone's bag it sure helps with organisation of something like this event.....
London and indeed the U.K will always be the envy of the world.
The less turncoats the better for it.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MOSO
I just can't wait for 2015 synchronised morris dancers!!!!!

Thats what I like about the olympics you have 4 years to stage them....
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

China will always have more money to spend than the UK. QED. Shame about them banning the RED Arrows though ..
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:31 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Morris Dancers can stand atop each capsule of the London Eye whilst in flight? Or perhaps get a Morris Dancer, highland, and an irish dancer on each one.

That would be cool to watch. Then, one of the princes can come in, knock the flame with his polo stick, everyone can watch the flame fly through the air and light the big flame. Niiiice.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm already preparing to be very embarassed.
I wouldnt laugh to hard at the chavs and hoodies comment,time will tell.
anyone remember the debacle that was the commonwealth games in manchester.
Aahh, the closing ceremony will live with me forever, syncronised morris minors
being driven by C-list coronation street actors and the VIP's all pretending it wasnt
rainning while the happy citizens of manchester suffered another day of non stop torrential downpours.

That was the best we could do ????

Last edited by Justcol; Aug 12th 2008 at 8:39 am.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I just love the logo
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/3454/