Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Poms still welcome in NZ?

Poms still welcome in NZ?

Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poms still welcome in NZ?

2 things I've seen made me wonder how welcome Brits are in NZ.

1) I asked a Kiwi I work with here in the UK on the matter. I could tell he was trying to hide it and biting his lip

2) I read a list of countries where a Visa isn't required and at the end of that list Britain is listed as a 6 month Visa exception to the list.

In the same way people ask `Why all the polish, everyone is welcome but why not a different nationality for a change?` I wonder if Kiwis quitely asked themselves that same question about Brits.

I work offshore as a Field Geologist and live with my partner (not married yet). My work does always involve working in the national territory where I live (I live in the UK and have worked in Egypt for example).

I wouldn't want to spend 6 months in NZ getting used to things and then get kicked out. My job is on the want list but I don't want to go if the government, backed by industry wants one thing, and employees want something else.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:49 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice
Default Re: Poms still welcome in NZ?

Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post

1) I asked a Kiwi I work with here in the UK on the matter. I could tell he was trying to hide it and biting his lip

2) I read a list of countries where a Visa isn't required and at the end of that list Britain is listed as a 6 month Visa exception to the list.

In the same way people ask `Why all the polish, everyone is welcome but why not a different nationality for a change?` I wonder if Kiwis quitely asked themselves that same question about Brits.

I work offshore as a Field Geologist and live with my partner (not married yet). My work does always involve working in the national territory where I live (I live in the UK and have worked in Egypt for example).

I wouldn't want to spend 6 months in NZ getting used to things and then get kicked out. My job is on the want list but I don't want to go if the government, backed by industry wants one thing, and employees want something else.
Dude, when you find a country where poms are welcome, let me know.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coda View Post
USA :-)
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

USA :-)
And a reasonable visa system.... Im just glad that Im not American cos they are generally the most hated around the globe - especially in NZ.

Last edited by Coda; Mar 13th 2009 at 4:40 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I have been made very, very welcome in NZ. Very few of our social circle are brits. So I guess to a degree it depends where you live and what your attitude is like.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

This Kiwi likes Poms so much she sleeps with one.

I think you will find that in comparison to Americans, Candians, Aussies etc Kiwi;s are a tad reserved until they get to know you. That doesn't mean they don't like you. On the whole if you make the effort so will they.

Traditionally we downunders have been treated as being 20 years behind the times, wet behind the ears mixed race of colonials. That comment of course is disputable, however as a historical issue although very subtle is very easy to pick up on.

The biggest way to **** a Kiwi off is to come here and expect a small Britain and moan if you don't find it.

Be adventurous and try it I say...
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

The biggest way to **** a Kiwi off is to come here and expect a small Britain and moan if you don't find it.

I actually agree with you on that one. It ****** me off too.

If it was that great in Britain we wouldn't have come here in the first place.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

My job is on the want list but I don't want to go if the government, backed by industry wants one thing, and employees want something else.
We've been here since December and so far I have seen and heard nothing that would suggest we Poms are not welcome.

The advice about not expecting, or demanding, a little Britain is bang on. Just because the Union Flag is in the corner of the Kiwi flag (currently, but that's a whole other story!) doesn't make this place a mirror of the UK. There are some similarities but in many more ways it is much different. For a start people are a whole helluva lot more laid back and informal.

From my limited experience so far Kiwi's seem to worry less about nationality and value more highly one's willingness to fit in. Much like anywhere, immigrants that cluster together here and do not engage are not too highly thought of by the locals.

Chuck on an All Black jersey, tell them they live in bloody demi-paradise (they do on many levels) and belittle whingers and Kiwis will love you for ever.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:41 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I have been made very, very welcome in NZ. Very few of our social circle are brits. So I guess to a degree it depends where you live and what your attitude is like.
I have been made to feel most welcome in NZ. It's the kiwi's who support my business (spot the Pom in my place), yet the area I live in is nicknamed Pomemoa due to the high number of Poms who live in this area.

The kiwi's help me out when ever I need a hand, wether it be collecting and washing glasses, carrying bags or restocking shelves. We have one fantastic bloke with Titanium legs, and only 2 fingers left on one hand - early 40's and he helps out when we get a rush on.

The Poms we know live too far away to come out drinking for a night, so that aspect is understandable.

If you behave friendly towards Kiwi's they give it back tenfold

Pauline